artificial horizon

Old February 24th 07, 07:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
DavidH

Default artificial horizon

Joe,
you did say
What I can say from personal experience, and the accident stats back me
up, is that a VFR pilot flying a plane with an IFR panel is much more
likely to find himself in conditions he isn't prepared to cope with.
Having the extra information available *can* make things safer. .......

..
I do have the dilemma of knowing whether a slightly "better" panel is
insurance or is merely an invitation to get into trouble.
..
I dare say that we are all to one degree or another susceptible to the
"it's there so I'd better use it" syndrome and consequently do need to
recognise the potential for getting ourselves beyond our skill/
currency levels.
..
Current thinking is that I will probably install one of the
Stratomaster electronic attitude indicators/turn co-ordinators.
best wishes
Davidh

Old February 24th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Mark Hickey

.
I do have the dilemma of knowing whether a slightly "better" panel is
insurance or is merely an invitation to get into trouble.
.
I dare say that we are all to one degree or another susceptible to the
"it's there so I'd better use it" syndrome and consequently do need to
recognise the potential for getting ourselves beyond our skill/
currency levels.

The answer's simple - just buy a hood and fly under it once in a while
(with a co-pilot, of course) to prove to yourself that you've invested
wisely. No risk, and all the same fun of "ignoring the seat of your
pants".

Mark "or you could paint your windows black" Hickey
Old February 24th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Joe Kultgen[_3_]

"DavidH" wrote in
oups.com:

Current thinking is that I will probably install one of the
Stratomaster electronic attitude indicators/turn co-ordinators.
best wishes
Davidh

I had some extra money back when I was learning to fly and was fortunate
enough to have an instructor that liked to play after we'd covered what
was in the sylabus. At that time VFR flight instruction included enough
"hood time" that you wouldn't go into a blind panic if you somehow got
distracted and flew into a cloud. I gladly paid for a couple extra hours
of air time to practice partial panel IFR recovery from unusual
attitudes. If the FBO had a trainer rated for spins I'd have paid for
that as well. Instead we simulated multiple system failures. (You've
got a broken control cable. try to land with only throttle, trim, and
rudder....Oops, you're also out of gas...Didn't do much of a pre-flight
did you?) I wasn't trying to be ready for anything. It was more like
cultivating a mindset of "Do something constructive with whatever you
have left in the time you have available."

On my second take off after I soloed I lost a vacuum pump right after the
nose was up high enough I couldn't see over it. When the AH flopped over
sideways I very nearly did the same. It was a clear sunny day so looking
out the windows took care of the problem. What shocked me was how close
I came to seriously screwing up due to a faulty readout from an
instrument I didn't need to fly the plane. Since then I've tended to
regard anything the flight instruments tell me as "second hand news".
Interesting, and sometimes vital, information but not to be trusted if
there's a better source available. :-)

The Stratomaster line looks like good gear. The only thing I'd suggest
is that you get in the habit of turning it off now and then. If you find
you're actually using it you might want to install a non-electric backup.

Just a thought,
Joe K
Old February 26th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
rpellicciotti

On Feb 22, 8:37 pm, "DavidH" wrote:
Greetings flying folk,
I am seeking an economical AH, or turn coordinator system.
My needs are to provide some assistance when
VFR and the vis is poorly
or if when VFR on top the gaps are closing
or on top and the cloud tops are not horozontal.
.
Any suggestions on minimal systems greatly appreciated.
many thanks
David Hill

I like the TruTrak ADI a lot. I have installed several of them in VFR
aircraft. Spend a little extra on the battery backup and the GPS
option. This one instrument will give you attitude, heading, airspeed
even if everything else in the airplane is not working.

http://www.trutrakflightsystems.com/...struments.html

Rick Pellicciotti
Belle Aire Aviation, Inc.
http://www.belleaireaviation.com

Old March 14th 07, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On 2ÔÂ24ÈÕ, ÉÏÎç4ʱ53·Ö, Dan wrote:
CW Crane wrote:
"DavidH" wrote:

Greetings flying folk,
I am seeking an economical AH, or turn coordinator system.
My needs are to provide some assistance when
VFR and the vis is poorly
or if when VFR on top the gaps are closing
or on top and the cloud tops are not horozontal.
.
Any suggestions on minimal systems greatly appreciated.
many thanks
David Hill

How about a turn coordinator with a small venturi vacuum source?

CW Crane

Carry a cat and a duck with you. If you get lost heave the duck out
and follow it. If you aren't sure of which way is up heave the cat out
and see which way it points its feet since they always land on their
feet. I admit it's kind of hard on the cat, but they are cheaper than
mechanical indicators.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired- Òþ²Ø±»ÒýÓÃÎÄ×Ö -

- ÏÔʾÒýÓõÄÎÄ×Ö -

Good idear! I suggested my boss to produce cats and ducks. It is
easy!!

Luo
http://www.ming-da.com