SeeYou and wind

Old April 21st 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

Default SeeYou and wind

I save my flights on a Colibri and download them into SeeYou and
sometimes it shows the wind and sometimes it doesn't. I flew the
ridge yesterday and made several circles in thermals and you can
easily see that there was wind in those circles. My Ilec said the
wind was 20kts. Can anybody tell me why SeeYou sees the wind and
accurately displays it on some flights and not others?

Gary Boggs

www.nwskysports.com
Old April 21st 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Gary,

SeeYou calculates the estimated wind speed and direction by using the drift
while circling (thermaling). If you don't circle it can't estimate the
wind. Could that be the difference in the flight logs?

Paul Remde

Old April 22nd 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
33

According to the Winpilot website, Winpilot Pro will calculate wind
direction in straight flight; however, I tend to get very erroneous
results with Winpilot for both wind speed and direction. Does anyone
know how wind direction is calculated in Winpilot and SeeYou? Are
there ways to fly with SeeYou or Winpilot to give the program better
data to get more accurate results? How accurate are the resultant
readings intended to be?
Old April 22nd 08, 07:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrej Kolar[_2_]

On 22 apr., 03:50, 33 wrote:
Does anyone know how wind direction is calculated SeeYou? *Are
there ways to fly with SeeYou to give the program better
data to get more accurate results? *

SeeYou and SeeYou Mobile calculate the winds depending on what data is
available. If you only give them raw GPS data, then the wind is
calculated in circling. Don't expect great accuracy or sensitivity
from this method, but it's a useful indication most of the time.

Once you start feeding IAS/TAS data to SeeYou or SeeYou Mobile you
will get much much better results. The wind will be calculated in
straight flight by measuring the wind components in different
directions. After just a few minutes of flying in one direction you
will get a pretty good indication of the wind which will then be
corrected on the fly as you fly in other directions.

In order to feed this info to SeeYou Mobile, your flight recorder must
be able to send IAS/TAS data through NMEA to the PDA. Most of the high-
end varios do that. Even some modern lower-end varios do the same
(such as LX 160/1600 and Borgelt, both combined with a GPS source).

In order to see this information in SeeYou after the flight, data
about IAS/TAS must be stored in the IGC file. SeeYou Mobile will
automatically store all of the data it has received. If you have a
flight that was recorded with SeeYou Mobile connected to a NMEA source
that included IAS/TAS, then the wind indication in SeeYou will be very
informative. That goes especially for wave flights where normally you
would not get any wind indication from raw GPS data. Other flight
computers may be setup to record IAS/TAS data in I-records, but that
largely depends on your hardware.
Old April 24th 08, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika

"Andrej Kolar" wrote in message

SeeYou and SeeYou Mobile calculate the winds depending on what data is
available. If you only give them raw GPS data, then the wind is
calculated in circling. Don't expect great accuracy or sensitivity
from this method, but it's a useful indication most of the time.

----------------------

No doubt thye'll substitute chicken

Is Peeta harassing them?

mk5000

you dont need no second love baby
O baby O baby
come give it me love
baby --That Chick, Mariah Carey

Where is SeeYou help? [email protected] Soaring 1 November 22nd 06 11:19 PM
Seeyou NMEA to Winpilot/Seeyou Jean Soaring 4 June 3rd 06 11:38 AM
SeeYou v3.1 Tim Harrison Soaring 5 April 21st 05 05:48 PM
SeeYou 3.0 iPilot Soaring 3 February 25th 05 03:30 PM
SeeYou 2.82...anyone try it yet? Stewart Kissel Soaring 4 January 3rd 05 09:31 PM