Airports databases in LX instruments

Old December 20th 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default Airports databases in LX instruments

I've been browsing the available documentation and LX's web site, but
I'm unable to figure out how the .LXA airport database files (such as
are used by my LX7007) are created.

I've learned how to use the LXasBrowser tool to create LX airspace
files (CU binary format) -- it's a great tool because I can use the
OpenAir and/or Tim Newport-Peace (.sua) files that justsoar.com spits
out.

But the airports side is a mystery. I would like to be able to
create .LXA files using the current FAA NASR airports database. Anyone
have any ideas on how those files are created?

~ted/2NO
Old December 21st 08, 08:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

2NO

I asked about this a few years ago and was told by the German LX Rep
(who is a member of our club) that the database was originally bought
from Jep and developed from that. So I think the database is
proprietary. I'll ask today as I think he is going to be in the
workshop.

Bob
Old December 21st 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 21, 12:39*am, "
wrote:
2NO

I asked about this a few years ago and was told by the German LX Rep
(who is a member of our club) that the database was originally bought
from Jep and developed from that. So I think the database is
proprietary. I'll ask today as I think he is going to be in the
workshop.

Bob

It would be really nice to be able to edit this database - or use
other sources as Ted suggests. I think the ability to edit would be
better. As it stands now I have to fly with a separate list of
airports that shouldn't be in the database because they are
unlandable. I'm a little surprised that they engineered the computers
to only accept a proprietary format.

9B
Old December 21st 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Andy,

I believe that LX's database formats (airports and airspace) predate
the formats we see used in PDA and web applications. (Can't say for
sure, I've only been around soaring since 2004.) So they have older
formats and legacy software to work with.

LX did make it possible to take just about any available airspace
format (including both OpenAir (WinPilot) and Tim Newport-Peace) and
produce their database files, by way of their LXasBrowser tool. What
we need is an airports counterpart to LXasBrowser.

Bob's post reminds me that LX's airports databases originate from
Jeppesen. Unless there's an international counterpart to the FAA's
NASR airport database (which is likely the source of Jep's), LX
doesn't have much motivation to change things.

Where does the SN10 airports data originate? (All turnpoints?)

2NO
Old December 21st 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ted

Talked to Michael today. He confirmed that the Airports database is in
a proprietary format. This is from pre LX4000 days so is quite old. He
suggested you talk to Ed Holister as a point of contact with LX to
move forward. It is worth an email.

Bob

Old December 21st 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Dec 21, 12:38*pm, Tuno wrote:

Where does the SN10 airports data originate? (All turnpoints?)

2NO

Tuno, SN10 airport/turnpoint files can be made various ways, easiest
is via SeeYou (which converts any format it reads to the Ilec .ndb
format).

I updated my SN10 turnpoint files from the same data (that I got from
you) that I use to make my mSeeYou .cup turnpoint files.

There is a little utility that emulated the SN10 and allows checking
the .ndb file, and editing if required. Since it's just a text file,
that's pretty easy, anyway.

Adding airspace requires running a DOS (!) program to convert .SUA
airspace, then cutting and pasting into the .ndb file.

Not hard, kinda fun on a rainy winter evening.....

Kirk
66

Old December 21st 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Yeah, the SN10 does not seem to distinguish between airport and
turnpoint data. My LX7007 does -- I can load turnpoints from a file on
an SD card, and I can load airports from an .LXA file (the proprietary
file), but one gets used by the "Airports" page and the other by the
"TP" page. (Although landable turnpoints do show up in the "Near
Airports" listing.)

2NO
Old December 21st 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 21, 1:49*pm, Tuno wrote:
Yeah, the SN10 does not seem to distinguish between airport and
turnpoint data. My LX7007 does -- I can load turnpoints from a file on
an SD card, and I can load airports from an .LXA file (the proprietary
file), but one gets used by the "Airports" page and the other by the
"TP" page. (Although landable turnpoints do show up in the "Near
Airports" listing.)

2NO

I remember thinking about this before - we could always delete the
airports database and load all the airport data as landable turnpoints
I guess. I'm not sure what the LX computers would do under this
scenario (would you loose certain functionality?), but at least then
you'd have control over the data.

9B
Old December 22nd 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Dec 21, 2:49*pm, Tuno wrote:
Yeah, the SN10 does not seem to distinguish between airport and
turnpoint data. My LX7007 does -- I can load turnpoints from a file on
an SD card, and I can load airports from an .LXA file (the proprietary
file), but one gets used by the "Airports" page and the other by the
"TP" page. (Although landable turnpoints do show up in the "Near
Airports" listing.)

2NO

Actually, the SN10 format lets you specify what each waypoint is:
Start, Finish, Turnpoint, Airport, Landable. Makes it easy to sort
and add/delete in Wordpad or better.

Simple and works well enought - but Ilec really needs to come up with
an "SN11" that doesn't require a DOS 'puter to talk to it, has an USB
port & SD card, talks to mSeeYou, color display, etc...

Santa, you listening?

Kirk
SN10 enthusiast