5606 Aviation Brake Fluid

Old March 29th 11, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sullivan

Default 5606 Aviation Brake Fluid

Standard aviation brake fluid is know as "5606". I comes in a
red can. Any aircraft repair facility will have lots of it and
might sell a pint when needed. It is what use in my airplanes
equipped with Cleveland brakes.

Old March 29th 11, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 28, 7:55*pm, John Sullivan
wrote:
Standard aviation brake fluid is know as "5606". *I comes in a
red can. *Any aircraft repair facility will have lots of it and
might sell a pint when needed. *It is what use in my airplanes
equipped with Cleveland brakes.

Mil-H-56056, actually, now called MIL-PRF-5606H:

http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/M...OTICE-1_27043/

And if you have a Grob G 103, the manual will direct you to use
automotive grade DOT3, which can corrode the S*** out of the magnesium
wheel cylinders on the Cleveland wheel.

Ask me how I know....

aerodyne
Old March 29th 11, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

http://www.everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/M...L-H-5606H_NOTI...

And if you have a Grob G 103, the manual will direct you to use
automotive grade DOT3, which can corrode the S*** out of the magnesium
wheel cylinders on the Cleveland wheel.

Ask me how I know....

aerodyne

I have the same direction to use DOT3 or DOT4 in my Nimbus manual. It
may be due to the use of a motorcycle master cylinder and
compatibility of the rubber o-rings and the plastic reservoir. I
haven't seen significant corrosion of the caliper parts in contact
with the DOT3 fluid. I'd be hesitant to switch to 5606 given the
plastic / rubber compatibility concerns.

Craig
Old March 29th 11, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

I have the same direction to use DOT3 or DOT4 in my Nimbus manual. *It
may be due to the use of a motorcycle master cylinder and
compatibility of the rubber o-rings and the plastic reservoir. *I
haven't seen significant corrosion of the caliper parts in contact
with the DOT3 fluid. *I'd be hesitant to switch to 5606 given the
plastic / rubber compatibility concerns.

Craig- Hide quoted text -

I agree, it is likely the M/C master cylinder driving the fliud
requirement. Does your ship use a magnesium wheel cylinder? I saw no
corrosion on the alum piston, after 30 years and 8000 hrs of training
flights, but the cylinder was badly pitted, the fluid was black, may
not have been changed this century.

One can change the fluid more often, to get the moisture out. Maybe
everytime you change the pads.

aerodyne
Old March 29th 11, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

On Mar 29, 12:03*pm, "
wrote:
I have the same direction to use DOT3 or DOT4 in my Nimbus manual. *It
may be due to the use of a motorcycle master cylinder and
compatibility of the rubber o-rings and the plastic reservoir. *I
haven't seen significant corrosion of the caliper parts in contact
with the DOT3 fluid. *I'd be hesitant to switch to 5606 given the
plastic / rubber compatibility concerns.

Craig- Hide quoted text -

I agree, it is likely the M/C master cylinder driving the fliud
requirement. Does your ship use a magnesium wheel cylinder? *I saw no
corrosion on the alum piston, after 30 years and 8000 hrs of training
flights, but the cylinder was badly pitted, the fluid was black, may
not have been changed this century.

One can change the fluid more often, to get the moisture out. Maybe
everytime you change the pads.

aerodyne

It does have the magnesium wheel cylinder. I just had it apart this
morning and there is some minor pitting on the bore. The piston and
brake fluid are clean. The primary reason I'm having to dig into this
is to replace a rotted hose. I'll use an adapter fitting to get from
the 10 x 1.0 metric fitting on the master cylinder to AN-4 connections
on a new Stratoflex 111 hose. I was tempted by the shiny braided
hoses with teflon liners, but the pressure rating appears to be lower
than the 111 hose and the 111 has the proper pedigree.

Bumper has an excellent link on the other brake thread to a shop in CA
that can reline the bores with brass sleeves. If the bore gets too
bad, I'll go that route.

Reasonably frequent fluid changes are probably the key.

Thanks,
Craig
Old March 29th 11, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Parker also has a MM online that tells you how to O/H the cylinder...
Minor pitting might be OK.

Not sure if the Mag will like the Brass - housing alone is about 187
(IIRC) from Spruce.

aerodyne
Old March 30th 11, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

On Mar 29, 3:30*pm, "
wrote:
Parker also has a MM online that tells you how to O/H the cylinder...
Minor pitting might be OK.

Not sure if the Mag will like the Brass - housing alone is about 187
(IIRC) from Spruce.

aerodyne

I wondered about dissimilar metal problems with the magnesium and
brass combination.

After cutting into the failed hose and discovering it was just a
plastic liner with wound cord and rubber jacketing I'm reconsidering
spending the $ for mil-spec fittings. Not sure if this is what the
factory provided or not, but it's a piece of junk and going with a
performance quality automotive product would be a huge step up. JEGS
has a good selection of SS / Teflon lines along with the adapters &
they've been in the Hot Rod world forever. The Nimbus is experimental
so no problems with certification.

I have no connections to JEGS, but found their website useful.
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...17442/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/670501/10002/-1

Thanks,
Craig
Old March 30th 11, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 3/29/2011 1:19 PM, Craig wrote:
The primary reason I'm having to dig into this
is to replace a rotted hose. I'll use an adapter fitting to get from
the 10 x 1.0 metric fitting on the master cylinder to AN-4 connections
on a new Stratoflex 111 hose. I was tempted by the shiny braided
hoses with teflon liners, but the pressure rating appears to be lower
than the 111 hose and the 111 has the proper pedigree.

Could you tell the hose was in poor condition before you removed it?
Mine is 16 years old, but looks OK from the outside.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz
Old March 30th 11, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

On Mar 29, 6:57*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 3/29/2011 1:19 PM, Craig wrote:
* *The primary reason I'm having to dig into this

is to replace a rotted hose. *I'll use an adapter fitting to get from
the 10 x 1.0 metric fitting on the master cylinder to AN-4 connections
on a new Stratoflex 111 hose. *I was tempted by the shiny braided
hoses with teflon liners, but the pressure rating appears to be lower
than the 111 hose and the 111 has the proper pedigree.

Could you tell the hose was in poor condition before you removed it?
Mine is 16 years old, but looks OK from the outside.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarmhttp://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

The hose looked pretty rough and the rubber sheath was peeling off.
When I squeezed the brake lever during winter maintenance brake fluid
leaked out at a fair rate. I suspect I had a small leak at the end of
last season and the fabric wrap became saturated and promoted the
outer layer degradation..

I saw your trace from a week or so ago. Nice start to the season.

Thanks,
Craig

Fluid Power Ohio nimbus Soaring 5 February 24th 09 11:47 AM
?? Mooney m20J brake fluid reservoir Russ Haggerty Owning 4 March 5th 07 05:27 PM
Pitts brake fluid Al MacDonald Aerobatics 2 April 25th 05 03:43 AM
BRAKE FLUID Ventus B Soaring 9 October 17th 04 07:25 PM
compass fluid D.A.L Soaring 4 September 20th 03 03:06 PM