Medical Question - History

Old August 18th 04, 01:11 AM
Pudealee

Default Medical Question - History

If a person had at one time been on anxiety meds (6-9 months), but has been
off for over two years. Will the AME pass/fail?
Old August 18th 04, 01:24 AM
William W. Plummer

Pudealee wrote:
If a person had at one time been on anxiety meds (6-9 months), but has been
off for over two years. Will the AME pass/fail?

On the renewal form you must disclose *all* of your medical history.
Plus, there is a section "Have you ever suffered from ..." and you would
have to check a box in that area.

Can you lie? Sure. But if you ever get in an accident, they will
track down every prescription you have ever had and compare against your
statements made when renewing your medical certificate. When the
difference is detected they will assert that your medical certificate
was not valid, your insurance company will walk away, and you will be
left with a world of financial hurt.
Old August 18th 04, 02:30 AM
Michelle P

Three years minimum for disqualifying meds.

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old August 18th 04, 03:27 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Pudealee wrote:

If a person had at one time been on anxiety meds (6-9 months), but has been
off for over two years. Will the AME pass/fail?

That will probably get deferred to Oklahoma City. They will definitely want a
statement from the doctor who prescribed the meds to the effect that you've been off
them for however long you've been off them and that you no longer need the
medications. That second part is important; if his/her letter doesn't contain such a
statement, get another letter. If you have any test results related to the condition
that have been taken *after* you quit taking medication, get copies of those, too.
Give copies of all of this to your AME. Keep copies for yourself in case they get
lost.

Two years without treatment seems to be the FAA's magic number for many such
conditions, so I'd guess that you won't have much trouble, but there will almost
certainly be some delay.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.
Old August 18th 04, 04:04 AM
BTIZ

from experience with a local student pilot... now rated..
What George said...

BT

Old August 18th 04, 11:14 AM
C. Paul Williams, MD

Pudealee wrote in message . 188.18...
If a person had at one time been on anxiety meds (6-9 months), but has been
off for over two years. Will the AME pass/fail?

I was on a disqualifying medication at the time of my exam. Oklahoma
City asked that I be off the med for 6 months, and submit a letter
from my physician that I had suffered no ill effects from
discontinuing the medication. Once that was accomplished, I got my
certification.
CPW
Old August 27th 04, 09:59 PM
Marc Chametzky

A student pilot I know had been on antidepressants about a year ago and
had supplied a letter with his AME exam explaining that he was no longer
on any meds and had no adverse effects as a result of that. The AME
issued the 3rd class medical.

The FAA sent him a letter saying that they weren't denying the medical,
but they wanted the exact dates. He wrote back giving the dates and they
recently wrote back saying that they were satisfied, but reminding him
that taking medicals or having impairments can disqualify him from flying.

--Marc