?? Wasps flew Hurricanes and Spits??

Old December 21st 03, 02:49 PM
Jan Swensen

Not mentioned here-

http://www.wasp-wwii.org/wasp/home.htm

Old December 21st 03, 03:38 PM
Ashton Archer III

"Ed Majden" wrote in message news:hM%Eb.760563$6C4.347245@pd7tw1no...
"Cub Driver"
I find that hard to believe. Anyone know if the WASPS flew Huricanes
and Spits? If so, what were the circumstances?

There was a TV program on this very topic commemorating their service in
the ATA and the WASPS. These talented women flew nearly everything on
inventory from heavy bombers, trainers, to the latest fighters of that time.
In the beginning ground crews where often shocked to see a wisp of a woman
climb out of a heavy bomber when it was delivered to an active base. They
often waited for the expected male pilot to climb out of the aircraft but
there was none. According to this TV program a memorial has been set up in
England commemorating the personnel of the ATA that lost their lives doing
this important work.

Of course they flew all kinds of aircraft including the Spitfi

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Mar2..._20003231.html

While researching this topic I also came across the story of Roberta
Cowell (a.k.a. Robert Cowell, Spitfire pilot) which is bizarre but
true:

http://www.transgenderzone.com/featu...rta_cowell.htm

In modern times, Carolyn Grace is also the world's only certified
female Spitfire pilot:

http://www.ukwarbirds.fsnet.co.uk/op...20%20grace.htm

Ashton Archer III
Old December 31st 03, 06:17 AM
Ian McKellan

While researching this topic I also came across the story of Roberta
Cowell (a.k.a. Robert Cowell, Spitfire pilot) which is bizarre but
true:

http://www.transgenderzone.com/featu...rta_cowell.htm

Absolutely fascinating story. Does anyone know how many kills she/he
had during the war?

Ian
Old December 31st 03, 10:47 AM
Cub Driver

Does anyone know how many kills she/he
had during the war?

If Cowell existed, she evidently wasn't credited with as many as five,
since no such person is listed in Aces High.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 31st 03, 05:36 PM
Joe Osman

Ashton Archer III wrote:

[...]

The USAF is way ahead of you Brits. I read a biography of
the WWI US Air Service Medal of Honor winner Frank Luke that
mentioned how he loved to go to bars dressed like a woman.
Luke Air Force Base in Arizona is named after him.

Joe

Old December 31st 03, 07:39 PM
Ron

Alan Minyard wrote in message . ..
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 02:58:42 GMT, "Brian Colwell" wrote:

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
.. .
While at the Wright Memorial earlier this week, I picked up a NASA
pamphlet entitled _Celebrating a Century of Flight_.

On page 13 there's a picture of Jackie Cochran with a caption quoting
her as saying, about the WASPS, "We landed planes like the Hurricane
and the Spitfire in fields where I wouldn't land my Lodestar today if
I could avoid it."

I find that hard to believe. Anyone know if the WASPS flew Huricanes
and Spits? If so, what were the circumstances?

vince norris

I would say most likely.....A pilot I worked with flew with the ATA during
WW2 and she ferried everything from fighters to bombers from Nth America to
Britain...an incredible performance, very often they they had little
experience on type and learned the hard way !!

BMC

Of course there were no Spits or Hurricanes built in the US.

Al Minyard

They were built in Canada.

Ferry Command had a lot of women pilots.
Old December 31st 03, 07:52 PM
M. J. Powell

In message , Ashton
Archer III writes
"Ed Majden" wrote in message
[...]

Picture of her and her 2-seater Spitfire trainer in the latest
'Fly-Past'.

Mike
--
M.J.Powell

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Robert Cowell's medical history would have seemed to disqualify him
from flying; however, he did enlist in Jan 1940 in the R.A.S.C. after
turning down a mechanical engineer (he was a car racer previously)
position with Ordnance. He was sent to Aldershot. In Jan 1941 Cowell
was posted to a unit in Cambridgeshire with the rank of capt. He was
in charge of mobile workshops.
In May 1941 he was sent to Iceland as Officer Commanding Heavy Repair
Shops. From there, Cowell transfered to the R.A.F. and went back to
England. He at first was trained on Tiger Moths but then was put on a
twin-engined aircraft with a view to becoming a bomber pilot. That
fell through so he went back to single-engined fighter trainers and
flew the Miles Master until graduating up to the Spitfire.
Later in the war, Cowell was part of a fighter squadron that took part
in the invasion of France. His squadron was in Normandy and stayed in
France through the liberation. On Cowell's second tour of operations
on a mission east of the Rhine his Spitfire took flak full in the
engine. A second shell tore a hole in the port wing. Cowell crash
landed at high speed but survived. For the remainder of the war Cowell
was at Stalag Luft I up near the Baltic between Lubeck and Rostock
until liberated by the Russians on May 5, 1945.
There is no record in Cowell's autobiography of having shot down any
German aircraft; however, he was attacked by German aircraft and took
out some ground targets including IIRC part of a V-1 launch site.

Rob

p.s. Hope this info helps... but does anyone know what R.A.S.C. stands
for?
Old January 1st 04, 08:34 PM
Sid Wood

"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...

p.s. Hope this info helps... but does anyone know what R.A.S.C. stands
for?

Royal Army Service Corps?