New Mexico Fire-Devils

Old December 5th 05, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Mexico Fire-Devils

Bob Korves wrote:
Marc Ramsey wrote in
. net:

http://vortexengine.ca/

Wanna buy a bridge to go with that Atmospheric Vortex Engine?
-Bob

Quite. The Solar Chimney technology (trialled in Spain and, I think,
currently being worked on in Australia)

http://www.globalwarmingsolutions.co...ar_chimney.htm

looks likely to be much more efficient.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |
Old December 5th 05, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I can think of the following reasons why a visibly rotating dust devil =
can end in an apparently spin-less cloud:

1. The angular momentum carried in a dust devil is partially dissipated =
to the neighbouring air through the normal momentum transfer mechanisms =
that occur in all fluid flows, and very strongly in turbulent flows.

2. A rising thermal collects a large amount of surrounding air, =
especially in its final (or higher) stages. This incorporated air likely =
has statistically random angular momentum, thus diluting the specific =
angular momentum in the whole thermal.

3. The thermal widens and the rotation speed drops by the inverse square =
of the radius.

4. The angular velocity drops by the inverse cube of the radius.

So a ten metre wide dust devil rotating once every two seconds can turn =
into a two hundred wide cloud rotating once every sixty hours, without =
violating any physical laws.

Regards

Old December 5th 05, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Oops! Made a mistake in point 4 of previous message.

So, where I wrote "once every sixty hours", please
read "once every six hours".

The cloud will anyway seem devoid of rotation to any human observer.

Regards

Old December 5th 05, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The idea looks to be interesting, although the problems in producing a
chimney
with a height of 1000 metres would be interesting. :-(

And more importantly, isn't this a bit high for a first thermal off of the
launch? ;-)

Be nice to have a dedicated thermal just off the runway though!

Malcolm...

Old December 5th 05, 09:01 PM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

There are some very optimistic people working on a 1000m high chimney in the prime soaring country north of Mildura, Australia at this very moment.
I asked the question on our aussie site if it could be used as a thermal generator for gliding, everyone was confident it would be no problem BEFORE twin towers 911, not now.
Another good one George, thanks.
Old December 6th 05, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Francisco De Almeida wrote:
Oops! Made a mistake in point 4 of previous message.

So, where I wrote "once every sixty hours", please
read "once every six hours".

The cloud will anyway seem devoid of rotation to any human observer.

I certain I've read that, on a calm day, if you lie on your back and
cloud watch, you CAN see them rotate, just very slowly.

Can't remember where I read that, though.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |

Inside the Cowling Fire / Heat Detector? George Sconyers Aviation Marketplace 4 May 31st 04 01:40 AM
"Friendly fire" Mike Naval Aviation 3 April 6th 04 06:07 PM
My Engine Fire!! [email protected] Piloting 21 April 2nd 04 05:02 PM
My Engine Fire!! [email protected] Owning 1 March 31st 04 01:41 PM
"Friendly fire" Mike Military Aviation 0 March 19th 04 02:36 PM