UK1 K9353 Vickers Wellesley 1939.jpg

Old November 12th 11, 12:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Joseph Testagrose

Default UK1 K9353 Vickers Wellesley 1939.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UK1 K9353 Vickers Wellesley 1939.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	52801
Old November 12th 11, 02:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dingo[_4_]

"Joseph Testagrose" wrote in message

Looks more like a Fairey Battle to me ;~)
~~
Dingo

Old November 12th 11, 09:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton[_3_]

"Andrew Chaplin" wrote in message
"Dingo" wrote in
:

"Joseph Testagrose" wrote in message

Looks more like a Fairey Battle to me ;~)

It does, but had a much longer wing span than the Battle. AIUI, the Mk I
had two canopies, producing a distinctive profile, and the Mk II had the
greenhouse canopy seen here.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

In this instance, Dingo's right, it's a Battle.

http://www.directart.co.uk/mall/airc...AircraftID=328

"Fairey Battle HA-J of No.218 Sqn is taken by surprise by the close pass of
a Bf109E over France. The squadron were based at Auberive-sur-Suippes in
1939, and as part of the Advance Air Striking Force of the RAF during the
Battle of France, suffered heavy losses. An aircraft carrying the codes HA-J
was shot down by flak on the afternoon of 12th May 1940. The three crew of
aircraft K9353, J B Horner, L C Flisher and L D Davies were all lost. "

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old November 12th 11, 09:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew Chaplin

"Dave Kearton" wrote in
:

[...]

So it is. I was wondering about that inline engine....
Old November 12th 11, 11:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton[_3_]

[...]

What strikes me about the 'real' Wellesley is that it used a bubble canopy
for the pilot, as early as 1935. Something that Mustangs and spitfires
had to dream about until 1944.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old November 13th 11, 05:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-11-12 15:34:29 -0800, "Dave Kearton"
said:

[...]

....and here is a little more info on the Wellesley.

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/unitedki...-wellesley.asp

--
Regards,

Savageduck