migraine medication and soaring

Old May 7th 05, 10:58 PM
chipsoars

Barbara,

I don't do usenet other than this group so if there are protocols, I'll
have to plead ignorance.

FAA.gov doesn't require a membership. It is the US Federal Government
and anyone can access the site.

Chip

Old May 7th 05, 11:21 PM
Malcolm Austin

Barbara,
RAS = rec.aviation.soaring (i.e. this newsgroup)

:-)

"Barbara de Zoete" wrote in message
newspsqe75icwx5vgts@zoete_b...
On 7 May 2005 08:42:42 -0700, chipsoars
wrote:

some of these threads get to long to not cut out the proceeding
threads.

I'm not saying to keep all of the thread. Just what you reply to. You snip
the rest. That is custom in large parts of usenet. Isn't it in here too?
This way:
1. people entering a thread here actually know what the post is about;
2. if archived this message serves a purpose beyond our discussion of this
one moment.

I used beta blockers for a time with no effect. Around RAS,

What is RAS?

you will find lot's of opinions, sometimes based on fact.

You might hunt around on FAA.gov or the EU equivalent for medications.

Tried the Dutch association. No luck. Tried FAA, but am not a member, so
no access.

In the US, a medical is required for power ratings and I do know some
medications are disqualifying. I would expect that with the
international harmonization programs, most medical issues will be
handled similarly.

In the EU a medical is needed for soaring as well. The check is not as
thourough and strict as the one for power ratings, but it is a medical all
the same.
I could always ignore the new knowledge and live on happely ever after.
Lived with migrain, withou knowing that, for about thirty years or more
now. Just thought, if it is possible to fight off the pain _and_ keep on
flying, well, I would give it a try.

With gliders,no medical exam is required- it is supposedly an honor
system; if you have a health issue, you should not fly.

Well, I suppose this is always true, no matter what rating or system.

--
,-- ----@ -- PretLetters: 'woest wyf', met vele interesses: ----------.
`-------------------------------------------------- ----@ ------------'

Old May 7th 05, 11:38 PM
cernauta

John Galloway wrote:

I have a fair bit of experience of prescribing for
migraine

Of the migraine preventer medications the most appropriate
for a glider pilot would usually be the the original
beta blocker - propranolol....

(snip)

Now this was a great post! thank you very much

Aldo Cernezzi
Old May 7th 05, 11:40 PM
John Scott

You might look at this web site and contact them. I know several of them
are gliders pilots and instructors, as well as doctors.

http://www.aviationmedicine.com/

John Scott

Old May 8th 05, 07:33 AM
Barbara de Zoete

On 7 May 2005 21:30:49 GMT, John Galloway
wrote:

I have a fair bit of experience of prescribing for
migraine

Of the migraine preventer medications the most appropriate
for a glider pilot would usually be the the original
beta blocker - propranolol.

[snipped, but read thoroughly]

All the usual warnings about discussing with your doctor
and checking with applicable authorities apply.

This was informative and helpful. Thank you for your time and work on
this. I appreciate it very much.

Old May 8th 05, 03:48 PM

Barbara,

I am coming into this thread a bit late, but here it is: I asked my
wife (who suffers from occasional migraines) how does her IMITREX
affect her ability to drive. Answer: not at all. Still, as many of my
predecessors on this posting have indicated, it would be worthwhile to
investigate with your own flying authorities.

Cheers, Charles

Old May 8th 05, 10:28 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article ,
Vaughn writes

"Barbara de Zoete" wrote in message
newspsqenjua5x5vgts@zoete_b...
Recent medical check reveiled I suffer from migraine. Well, no harm done
there, since I seem to have that all of my life and am pretty much used to
it.

Still, after a long talk with my family doctor I do want to try and find out
if any medication helps me to either kill an attack or prevent an attack
occuring (preferrably). But... I would *never* want to take medication that
makes soaring impossible.

For a significant percentage of migraine patients, there is a drug-free
solution. Migraine is often cause by the involuntary clenching of your teeth,
especially in your sleep. There is an FDA-approved device that is nothing more
than a hunk of plastic that reduces or solves the problem.
http://www.headacheprevention.com/ It also prevents damage to your teeth from
clenching/grinding.

Vaughn

And the NTI website tells me there are two people providing them in
Holland...
--
Mike Lindsay
Old May 9th 05, 11:48 AM
Barbara de Zoete

On Sat, 07 May 2005 22:21:58 GMT, Malcolm Austin
wrote:

Barbara,
RAS = rec.aviation.soaring (i.e. this newsgroup)

:-)

Should / could have thought of that... :-)
Thanks

Old May 10th 05, 12:04 AM
CV

chipsoars wrote:

Barbara,

some of these threads get to long to not cut out the proceeding
threads.

Hmmm, interesting phenomenon ...

CV
Old May 14th 05, 02:42 PM
Bullwinkle

All,

I'm an aerospace medicine physician who works full time with FAA medical
certification issues, for professional pilots (as well as flying gliders for
fun).

There was an excellent summary of treatment options earlier in this thread,
so I won't re-hash that.

Here's the FAA rules on this, were you applying for a medical. (Obviously we
don't need medicals in the US, but these are still good common sense
guidelines).

Prophylactic (preventive) meds, like betablockers (Inderal, tenormin), or
calcium channel blockers, or ACE inhibitors: Ok with the FAA if they work
for you, and you have no side effects which would prevent safe performance
of aircrew duties.

Abortants (like the triptans, including imitrex, maxalt, etc): No fly within
24 hours after last dose.

These rules apply to pain-only migraines which occur twice a month or less
freuently. If you get neurological symptoms, and particularly if you have
visual symptoms, the FAA usually requires a 6 month headache free interval
before clearing a pilot who requires a medical.

An earlier poster was correct, the VFS web site at www.aviationmedicine.com
is an excellent resource for these types of questions.

Hope this helps,
Bullwinkle