Turn coordinator? How dare they!

Old February 14th 13, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Turn coordinator? How dare they!

On 2/12/2013 11:50 PM, waremark wrote:
Nice Ash 26E panel. Does it belong to someone here?

It's an incredible amount of instruments in a panel that size. My 26E
panel is not as cleverly laid out.

email me)
Old February 14th 13, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:36:38 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 2/12/2013 11:50 PM, waremark wrote:

Nice Ash 26E panel. Does it belong to someone here?

It's an incredible amount of instruments in a panel that size. My 26E

panel is not as cleverly laid out.

email me)

Oh geez, anohter typical motorglider **** with a stuffed panel... Oh wait, that's mine.

Yes it is my ASH-26E panel, a photo from a few years ago taken in the Kanab Utah area when when flying from Parowan down to the Grand Canyon. I'd just had the '26 for a short while and this was the first trip to Utah with it. Climbing up through 13,000', vario around 9-10 knots, averager at 7.5, a pretty weak Utah thermal...

The 26E panel is a bit funky to lay things out on, I really wanted the full size altimeter, ASI, etc. and things are really crowded as a result. Several other owners have similar layout.

The Trutrak is in the panel because of prior experiences running into smoke in the Parowan Area in my DG-303. And I've flown one contest with the ASH-26E where the T&B was disabled/inop to the CD's satisfaction. I'm not even sure why it is switched on in this photo.

Not that its a big thing, but this is the second time this photo has been used publicly by others without asking me, it is not in the public domain. And I'm not sure I'd use that photo to help portray what gliding is about.

Darryl
Old February 14th 13, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 5:24:45 PM UTC-8, AGL wrote:
SNIP

I choose not to spend the dwindling time or finances available to me on contests, not because I am an asshole, but because I choose other aspects of soaring to participate in.

Clarification is required because there are two conversations going on:

http://www.simplypsychology.org/personality-a.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_A_...onality_theory

Thanks

(A at work, B at the field)

Thanks for the links. I think the best soaring pilots are a mix of A and B personalities, with a sprinkle of A*** thrown in here and there! Myself certainly not lacking bits of the latter trait mentioned......

As for the "need" for a TC..........a needle ball Wendezeiger helped let me down through wave coupled clouds years ago, and a few years ago the hole I was spiraling down thru almost closed and I had no TC in the panel. I now have a Tru-Trak and if need be, it will save my life life if caught in similar circumstances. Or, at least I'll be concentrating on IT rather than wishing I ignored the guys who said I'd never need it.

Brad

Brad
Old February 14th 13, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Higgs

It's an AI.... Attitude Indicator, sometimes called an Artificial
Horizon.

A Turn Coordinator has a slip ball, sometimes called a Turn and Bank, or
Turn and Slip indicator. It allows you to do Rate One Coordinated Turns.
!

Old February 14th 13, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Bzzzt No. This is a TruTrack "Pictorial Turn and Bank" widely used worldwide in gliders.

It *is* a turn coordinator, it is *not* an AI. There is no pitch information provided, there is a slip/skid ball in the display for the exact reason mentioned.

Darryl
Old February 14th 13, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I find that the slip ball on my TruTrak doesn't work worth a crap. Either
that, or I'm extremely coordinated!

I have had a J-8 attitude indicator and static inverter (needs 400 Hz, ya
know) since the mid-70s. Maybe I should install that in place of my giant
PZL mechanical vario. The weight of the thing would probably warp my panel
and the power requirements would certainly drain my batteries (3 of them) in
under an hour.

Now I just need to find a reasonably priced INS and see if I can squeeze it
into the space where my gear retracts. I can fly wheel down...

"Jim White" wrote in message
At 23:26 13 February 2013, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:50:37 AM UTC-5, AGL wrote:
since you "don't do competition", how do you know? . . . by helping

at
contests.

The people I've enjoyed at contests are one of the biggest reasons why

I've
been flying contests for the last 36 years.
I've encountered many more of the A*** types on RAS in the last year than
in all the contests I've flown.
Obviously a different experience
UH

Please tell us more about the people you have 'enjoyed'!

Old February 14th 13, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have a great idea for next year. Special contest for Sean and his buddies. IGC club class only. Grand Prix rules, with no finish minimum, with full IGC protocols -- jury, stewards and all. Full panel IFR (artificial horizon) required. Flarm units with leech mode enabled required. The new DeLorme every minute tracker required, and each pilot's "team captain" will radio up other pilot's positions and weather from ground control. Units: Metric. Language: Only Norwegian and Polish allowed -- need to practice up for the WGC, guys!

(Sorry, can't seem to wait for April 1!)

Wow, that's a sensational picture you paint. You might like this idea better? How about eliminating the risky cross country aspect of sailplane racing? Instead have a national spot landing contest? No need for jury, stewards and all. We can use the English language.

(Can't wait for April 1st too)

HA
Old February 14th 13, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Wow, that's a sensational picture you paint. You might like this idea better? How about eliminating the risky cross country aspect of sailplane racing? Instead have a national spot landing contest? No need for jury, stewards and all. We can use the English language.

(Can't wait for April 1st too)

HA

Hmm. Those landings sound pretty dangerous to me. Especially those desperate pilots trying to nail the spot. They might scratch the gel coat under the nose. Better to make the "spot" 500 feet up over the middle of the airport, and demonstrate a "landing" through GPS.

There are many reasons I can't wait for April 1st
BB
Old February 14th 13, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have a great idea for next year. Special contest for Sean and his buddies. IGC club class only. Grand Prix rules, with no finish minimum, with full IGC protocols -- jury, stewards and all. Full panel IFR (artificial horizon) required. Flarm units with leech mode enabled required. The new DeLorme every minute tracker required, and each pilot's "team captain" will radio up other pilot's positions and weather from ground control. Units: Metric. Language: Only Norwegian and Polish allowed -- need to practice up for the WGC, guys!

While Obviously a joke-post... I think... Although... I do speak a little Norwegian so that should help me...

Aren't we headed the way of unlimited information from whatever source we want (Flamr-radar, teammates, ground crew as team captains, ads-b weather, etc., etc.) because bans on the "proliferation of technology" are ultimately unenforceable except by peer pressure and "gentlemanly conduct"?

And why the dig at IGC Club Class? Your going to get your *******ized US "Club Class"

And now the GP format is crazy and unsafe...

Flame suit set to full.

Somewhat snarkily,
EY