Keep your hand off the release handle during aero tows!

Old October 4th 13, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Keep your hand off the release handle during aero tows!

I have seen several videos on youtube lately where the glider pilot holds the tow release handle during all parts tow. I've been told it is taught this way by some in the UK. Sorry to pick on you folks on the other side of the pond as I love your country and can't wait to come over and glide with you in the next few years.

It seems to me that holding the handle during aero tow is a recipe for disaster eventually.

We have all hit big bumps and turbulence down low on tow. Why risk accidentally pulling the release at 50ft or 100ft in the air? If you are saying it is so that you can immediately pull the handle if something goes bad on tow, it might not be a good enough reason due to the risks of a accidental release. Keep your hand on your knee or the flaps handle right next to the release and I bet you can pull it just as quickly and you don't have to worry about messing up a perfectly good tow down low. Am I missing something here?

Your thoughts? This just seems like a big safety mistake and I would hate for people who see these videos and then think it is the right and correct thing to do.

Have fun and fly safe,
Bruno - B4
www.youtube.com/bviv
Old October 4th 13, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JP Stewart

On Friday, October 4, 2013 12:36:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Or you can keep you hands on those pesky spoilers?

JP
Old October 4th 13, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Or you can keep you hands on those pesky spoilers?
JP

In an ASW19, 20 or 27 it is common practice (even mentioned in the POH) to start an aero tow with partially deployed spoilers to help keep ailerons effective at low speeds. At around 30 knots put in spoilers and move flaps from 2 to 4. Works great.

Bruno - B4
Old October 4th 13, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

We in the UK are not taught to hold the release throughout an
aerotow. Have there been reports of inadvertent releases on
aerotow from this? Cable releases are not hair-trigger.

Especially for winch launches we are taught to "start the launch
with the hand on the release" . The following AAIB report is
relevant to that:

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/Schempp-
Hirth%20Nimbus-3%20glider%20G-EENN%2006-13.pdf

John Galloway

=
the pond as I love your country and can't wait to come over

and glide with
=
you in the next few years. =20

Old October 4th 13, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

In an ASW19, 20 or 27 it is common practice (even mentioned in the POH) to start an aero tow with partially deployed spoilers to help keep ailerons effective at low speeds. At around 30 knots put in spoilers and move flaps from 2 to 4. Works great.

Sounds OK in theory. An engineer probably came up with the POH entry, but...
Who has time to look at the airspeed, look at the runway, tow plane and keep it all straight plus close spoilers and change flaps at a certain speed? With our clubs 260 HP towplane it all happens fast! Ailerons seem to work fine in about 3 seconds.

Old October 4th 13, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

The UK recommendation is to hold the release during the start of a winch launch, due to the exceptionally short time available to avoid disaster by releasing if a wing is going down and you cannot prevent it with aileron. While this may not apply to an aerotow launch it is likely that pilots trained on the winch and flying unflapped gliders would do the same for an aerotow launch. I would expect pilots to take their hand off the release once comfortably clear of the ground. I have not heard of an inadvertent release.
Old October 4th 13, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, October 4, 2013 1:37:45 PM UTC-4, Soartech wrote:
In an ASW19, 20 or 27 it is common practice (even mentioned in the POH) to start an aero tow with partially deployed spoilers to help keep ailerons effective at low speeds. At around 30 knots put in spoilers and move flaps from 2 to 4. Works great. Sounds OK in theory. An engineer probably came up with the POH entry, but... Who has time to look at the airspeed, look at the runway, tow plane and keep it all straight plus close spoilers and change flaps at a certain speed? With our clubs 260 HP towplane it all happens fast! Ailerons seem to work fine in about 3 seconds.

I do it all the time and have for many years. When aileron control is solid, close and lock the spoilers, then move flaps to tow position. In the '28, I skip the flap step obviously. 19 and 20 have big ailerons that work pretty quickly. Not so with 27.
If things start to go wrong, release the spoiler handle and pull the release.
No need to look at airspeed.
Not everybody has an overpowered tug.
UH
Old October 4th 13, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

At 17:44 04 October 2013, waremark wrote:
The UK recommendation is to hold the release during the start of a winch
la=
unch, due to the exceptionally short time available to avoid disaster by
re=
leasing if a wing is going down and you cannot prevent it with aileron.
Whi=
le this may not apply to an aerotow launch it is likely that pilots
trained=
on the winch and flying unflapped gliders would do the same for an
aerotow=
launch. I would expect pilots to take their hand off the release once
comf=
ortably clear of the ground. I have not heard of an inadvertent release.

The problem is on schemp gliders if the right wing goes down and you us
full
left stick and can't get the wing to lift you now can't get your hand to
the
release the next thing is an accident .
It happens very fast and before you say "won't happen to me" I know of a
fighter pilot and current glider pilot who cartwheeled a ventus .
My solution is 6 inch of parachute cord fastened round the release that I
can
hold loosely for those first 50feet or so .the transition from wing low to
crash
is so fast there is no time for anything .
Jon may

Old October 4th 13, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

Couple of things;

1) THIS THREAD IS ABOUT YOUR HAND ON THE RELEASE! NOT ON THE SPOILERS! Can we all say "oops"?

2) I had a PTT when I had my hand on the release. Never again.

3) That being said (#2 above) I saw a friend get in trouble on tow and couldn't find the release handle due to G forces (scratch one glider). So I came up with a fairly long lanyard that goes from the release knob to my wrist. In this way small movements of my hand won't impact the release but, in an emergency, a half way hands up gesture of "you're under arrest" will release the tow. Luckily I have never used this. Needless to say I use the knob for a non-emergency releases. Here is a link to my Mark 1 version (Bumper type model numbering), I don't have a shot of Mark II with its adjustable palm knob and black nylon webbing. http://aviation.derosaweb.net/images...selandyard.JPG

My $0.02.

- John
Old October 4th 13, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Friday, October 4, 2013 1:30:46 PM UTC-4, John Galloway wrote:
We in the UK are not taught to hold the release throughout an

aerotow. Have there been reports of inadvertent releases on

aerotow from this? Cable releases are not hair-trigger.

Glad to hear it, and yes, respectively. http://dms.ntsb.gov/aviation/Acciden...2013120000.pdf

T8