IGCDroid : A new android glider tracker

Old January 26th 15, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver

Default IGCDroid : A new android glider tracker

Hi All,

I would like to announce IGCDroid, an Android near real-time Glider Tracking App.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.ajw.igcdroid

Description
IGCDroid, partnered with GlidePort.aero (aka www.SSA.org's Sailplane Tracker) will change the way you record and track your flights.
Now your Android device can automatically record your flight and keep ground crew and friends updated in near real-time.
Perfect for all pilots
* Students recording their training flights
* Weekend pilots keeping their partners informed where and when they land
* Competition pilots with followers on the ground.
The free trial version is limited to 30 minute flights. One time purchase of $10 to upgrade to the unlimited version.
Features
* Simple set and forget operation
* Track your flight in near real time
* Record OLC validated IGC files
* Simple post flight statistics
* Email notify crew and friends of your flight progress
Enjoy.

Alan

PS. I would like to send a public thanks to the pilots and friends who helped test and improve IGCDroid over the last few months.
Old January 28th 15, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I used the IGCDroid for six currency flights yesterday in snow-less Iowa, and it worked perfectly. As the instructions say, turn it on while pre-flighting, then forget it. At the end of the day the IGCDroid presented six separate flight traces, with a maximum altitude gain of 16 feet (a feature of midwest winter weather, not the app) IGCDroid could not have been easier to use. Thanks for the hard programming work.
Old January 28th 15, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Does it generate an igc file acceptable to OLC? If not, look at XCSoar,
it's free on the Play Store, has a moving map, and generates an OLC
acceptable file.

--
Dan Marotta

Old January 28th 15, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 8:54:53 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Does it generate an igc file acceptable to OLC?* If not, look at
XCSoar, it's free on the Play Store, has a moving map, and generates
an OLC acceptable file.

Hi Dan,

Yes it does create a OLC valid IGC file. Being Android it can't create an FAI valid IGC file.

I'm not trying to compete with XCSoar, I have XCSoar installed on my phone as well.

My goal was to create a simple tracker, similar to Spot/InReach, that requires almost zero setup and notifies my family about my flights.

Rather than paying Spot an annual fee I will use IGCDroid for tracking and a PLB for real emergencies.

I agree it isn't the same as Spot/InReach, a cell phone solution never can be. It is both better and worse.

Alan
Old January 29th 15, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Any plans for an iOS Version?
I currently using the glideport iPhone app which also generates valid OLC file, but it is missing a notification functionality. An option to automatically and periodically send links to your glideport trace via email and sms will be a big benefit.

Ramy
Old January 29th 15, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kiwiindenver

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 11:06:14 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Any plans for an iOS Version?
I currently using the glideport iPhone app which also generates valid OLC file, but it is missing a notification functionality. An option to automatically and periodically send links to your glideport trace via email and sms will be a big benefit.

Ramy

Are you sure GlideTrack creates valid OLC files? I didn't think it did, but I haven't used it much.

Sorry, I don't have the tools (Apple Mac computer) or the money ($100 per year for a developer account) to create an iPhone version.

Alan
Old January 29th 15, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XXL

Glidetrack does create a valid IGC file - I've uploaded quite a few flights from students, just can't get the OLC to recognize the HK36 TTC. I know the app does not have an ENL feature, but that's a mute point.

Cheers,
Roderick
Old January 29th 15, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Same here. Uploaded a glidetrack IGC fike successfully to OLC.

Ramy
Old January 29th 15, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Correction to my previous post. I did not post glidetrack igc file to OLC. I posted it to crosscountry.aero. So I cant tell if it creates valid OLC file.

Ramy
Old January 29th 15, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Dyck

Thanks a bunch! I will definitely make good use of this!

SeeYou Recoder - an Android app for glider pilots [email protected] Soaring 7 July 11th 12 07:16 PM
Small glider logbook for Android phones Tiny Titles Soaring 0 July 28th 11 08:34 PM
XCSoar for Android Sean Fidler Soaring 6 March 21st 11 05:50 PM
Possible Android Tablet? jsbrake[_2_] Soaring 5 February 5th 11 07:57 PM
Android App Mike[_36_] Soaring 8 July 14th 10 10:53 AM