Sparrowhawk handling

Old August 7th 15, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum[_2_]

Default Sparrowhawk handling

Is the Sparrowhawk handling suitable for a low time glider pilot who flies infrequently? How is pitch and roll sensitivity compared to say, a Discus B? One of our club members seems to have a big problem staying in position on tow. He does just OK in a K21. I need to know how to help him or conversely, suggest he do something else. I have 1-26 , 1-34, LS4, ASW20, ASW 27, DG808, and Discus CS experience.

Thanks in Advance

Hartley Falbaum CFIG, USA
Old August 7th 15, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 10:12:10 AM UTC-4, Hartley Falbaum wrote:
Is the Sparrowhawk handling suitable for a low time glider pilot who flies infrequently? ... One of our club members seems to have a big problem staying in position on tow.

As a low time glider pilot (250 hours) I need to fly 2-3 times a week in Spring to regain my skill level from the previous season, and then I need to fly weekly to maintain those skills.

Old August 7th 15, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 10:12:10 AM UTC-4, Hartley Falbaum wrote:
Is the Sparrowhawk handling suitable for a low time glider pilot who flies infrequently? How is pitch and roll sensitivity compared to say, a Discus B? One of our club members seems to have a big problem staying in position on tow. He does just OK in a K21. I need to know how to help him or conversely, suggest he do something else. I have 1-26 , 1-34, LS4, ASW20, ASW 27, DG808, and Discus CS experience.

Thanks in Advance

Hartley Falbaum CFIG, USA

As light as it is, I would expect low polar moments and very quick response..
I seems to me that he should build some more experience ti increase his safety margins.
I suspect I am confirming waht you already think.
UH
Old August 7th 15, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

quick?

think about a turn and you are in it. then you think "did i even move the stick?"

Old August 7th 15, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

What if you think about a beer?

Boggs
Old August 7th 15, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum[_2_]

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 10:12:10 AM UTC-4, Hartley Falbaum wrote:
Is the Sparrowhawk handling suitable for a low time glider pilot who flies infrequently? How is pitch and roll sensitivity compared to say, a Discus B? One of our club members seems to have a big problem staying in position on tow. He does just OK in a K21. I need to know how to help him or conversely, suggest he do something else. I have 1-26 , 1-34, LS4, ASW20, ASW 27, DG808, and Discus CS experience.

Thanks in Advance

Hartley Falbaum CFIG, USA

Thanks All;
Big help--needed backup.
Old August 8th 15, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 4:37:30 PM UTC-5, Waveguru wrote:
What if you think about a beer?

Boggs

It would be heading towards the bar!

Steve
Old August 8th 15, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 4:09:08 PM UTC-7, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 4:37:30 PM UTC-5, Waveguru wrote:
What if you think about a beer?

Boggs

It would be heading towards the bar!

Steve

The Sparrowhawk is easy to fly.
I seem to remember the stick requiring more movement in one axis than the other, as in you'd expect to move one more and the other less, but it still had good feel.
The tiny rudder is very effective, like no other glider I've flown. Prepare to be pleasantly surprised in the first few seconds.
Jim
Old August 8th 15, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

What UH says has merit.

I have a Pipistrel Sinus in addition to my LAK-17a and I'm currently
flying an ASH-30 mi with its owner at Minden. Neither the LAK nor the
ASH give me the slightest problems in takeoff, flight, or landing while
the Pipistrel gives me fits. It's wonderfully easy to fly but so light
on the controls that, in the gusty environment of Moriarty, landings are
quite a challenge for me.

--
Dan Marotta

Old August 9th 15, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Surprised no one mentioned this, and as a CFIG you should know this, no aircraft is suitable for an infrequent flyer. The only way to stay safe for you and our fellow pilots is to fly. Flying is something you should do much or not do at all. The stats have proved this over 100 years of aviation.