What have we learned from all this?

Old April 11th 20, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

Default What have we learned from all this?

Haven't seen this much hysteria since the 2016 election was over.
Old April 11th 20, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 12:00:24 AM UTC-4, wrote:

In 2018, we were killing, by average, 3670 people DAILY in car wrecks in the US. I can't imagine we've cut that in half, but with the StayAtHome mandates, it likely has dropped this month.

Really? 3670 times 365 means we killed well over a million
people on the roads in 2018. You'd think I'd remember that.

Jim Beckman
Old April 11th 20, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dirk_PW[_2_]

More on inflated COVID-19 death rate...

https://youtu.be/9qPUy1qJXys

I love this thread because it reminds me we still have 1st amendment rights (for the time being anyway). Funny how some just don't get it, and they want to take it away from you instead of exercising their right to click the 'back arrow' on the top of their browser.
Old April 11th 20, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 10:56:09 AM UTC-5, Dirk_PW wrote:
More on inflated COVID-19 death rate...

https://youtu.be/9qPUy1qJXys

I love this thread because it reminds me we still have 1st amendment rights (for the time being anyway). Funny how some just don't get it, and they want to take it away from you instead of exercising their right to click the 'back arrow' on the top of their browser.

Only in the US, Dirk.

Some countries actually have thought police who can arrest you if you refuse to use certain words like "They/them" or if you refuse to participate in some right minded forward thinkers fantasy.

We're still protected in the US but countries like the UK, Belgium or France, speech isn't protected. They'll put you in jail for saying stuff that upsets empowerment groups.

Old April 11th 20, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 2:12:11 PM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 10:03:04 -0700, John Foster wrote:

On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 5:57:24 AM UTC-6, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Friday, April 10, 2020 at 4:23:10 AM UTC-4,
wrote:
After spreading your 3000 lbs of fertilizer outside, why did you go
and turn on cnn, they just filled up your house with more than 3000
lbs of “manure” in less than an hour.

Yep, I was called the other day by one of the glass gods here on RAS
and he said to me that I was narrow minded. Now don't get me wrong,
this is a good guy but a bit confused. I told him that I would look at
many different formats of communication and media and see if there was
any chance that I had become intolerant of flaming liberals. It only
took me a few seconds of watching Don Lemmon and Rachel Maddow to
realize that I was going to call Direct TV and see if I could have them
blocked. Bob

I am becoming more and more convinced that the real "enemy of the
people" is not one political party or another, but the Mainstream Media..
There have been many recent examples of them deliberately deceiving the
public to forward their narrative. 95% or more of the major news
outlets are now owned by just 6 individuals, who are all "globalists" in
their ideology.

Is that 6 owners just for the USA or globally? Its hard to tell from
where I sit because the palsied hand of Murdoch seems to have a global
grasp. In any case I thought that there tended to be laws about news
monopolies. What happened to them?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

They only apply to conservative news outlets.

Nobody could possibly mistake the turn Murdoch enterprises took when they started selling out to Disney.
Old April 11th 20, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 11:09:29 AM UTC-4, Shaun Wheeler wrote:
Haven't seen this much hysteria since the 2016 election was over.

Shaun, you must not be seeing any news, remember the Russian conspiracy that the whack's dreamed up. Bob
Old April 11th 20, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 5:40:23 PM UTC+1, Shaun Wheeler wrote:

Only in the US, Dirk.

Some countries actually have thought police who can arrest you if you refuse to use certain words like "They/them" or if you refuse to participate in some right minded forward thinkers fantasy.

We're still protected in the US but countries like the UK, Belgium or France, speech isn't protected. They'll put you in jail for saying stuff that upsets empowerment groups.

What utter nonsense.
Old April 11th 20, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sat, 11 Apr 2020 09:55:15 -0700, Shaun Wheeler wrote:

They only apply to conservative news outlets.

Nobody could possibly mistake the turn Murdoch enterprises took when
they started selling out to Disney.

...but Redtops have always been like that, regardless of who owned them.

The only tabloid worth reading was the much-missed "Sunday Sport".

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old April 11th 20, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 2:37:27 PM UTC-4, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sat, 11 Apr 2020 09:55:15 -0700, Shaun Wheeler wrote:

They only apply to conservative news outlets.

Nobody could possibly mistake the turn Murdoch enterprises took when
they started selling out to Disney.

..but Redtops have always been like that, regardless of who owned them.

The only tabloid worth reading was the much-missed "Sunday Sport".

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Is that similar to "The Scottish Sporting News"? I picked up a copy of that on a detachment to Kinloss to educate myself on how the local football teams were doing... not much sports in it, turns out.
Old April 11th 20, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sat, 11 Apr 2020 18:37:25 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

The only tabloid worth reading was the much-missed "Sunday Sport".

Apologies to non-UK readers for not explaining that the "Sunday Sport"
was 100% tongue-in cheek BS from first to last page.

Among many 'interesting' stories and racy photos I remember seeing a long
running set of stories about a B-29, that went missing during the Pacific
War, being found in a Lunar crater (with a picture, so it had to be
true). Follow-up stories covered a secret NASA mission to rescue the crew
using a Shuttle. The final story in that series described how the Shuttle
had towed the B-29 back to a landing at a secret USAF base (Groom lake?),
with a picture of B-29 and Shuttle in Earth orbit (so the rescue must
have been true too)!

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org