16.6m tips wanted for Ventus B

Old May 11th 05, 07:57 PM
Bill Hoadley

Ventus B drivers,
I've seen/heard of a few people using the 16.6 tips with winglets. I'd
be curious about how that system works, and who does the mod. Word on
the street is that above about 70kts, the 16.6 tips become drag
devices, hence the lack of use in the west. I've been in thermals with
Shawn near Salida that I thought would break my Sage (that needle kept
wrapping around), thus our enthusiasm for the 15m Ventus. Speaking
with folks at the 2005 convention, it seems like the Maughmer winglets
in 15m configuration is probably the best thing for a Ventus B (at
least in the west). I guess the 16.6 with some sort of winglet would
be good for weaker conditions. Hey, what about turbulator strips? I
took mine off. Any definitive word on that subject?
Bill H, 90 miles NE of Shawn

Old May 11th 05, 09:00 PM
Shawn

Bill Hoadley wrote:
Ventus B drivers,
I've seen/heard of a few people using the 16.6 tips with winglets. I'd
be curious about how that system works, and who does the mod. Word on
the street is that above about 70kts, the 16.6 tips become drag
devices, hence the lack of use in the west. I've been in thermals with
Shawn near Salida that I thought would break my Sage (that needle kept
wrapping around), thus our enthusiasm for the 15m Ventus. Speaking
with folks at the 2005 convention, it seems like the Maughmer winglets
in 15m configuration is probably the best thing for a Ventus B (at
least in the west). I guess the 16.6 with some sort of winglet would
be good for weaker conditions. Hey, what about turbulator strips? I
took mine off. Any definitive word on that subject?
Bill H, 90 miles NE of Shawn

Bill,

You coming here this weekend? We have towing Sat & Sun and maybe
Monday. Forcast is looking good too.

Shawn
Old May 12th 05, 01:01 AM
ttaylor at cc.usu.edu

I just ran the numbers for the Ventus B again. With no water the 16.6M
is better up to about 115 mph. With full water the 16.6M is better up
to about 125 mph.

I fly with winglets on my 16.6M tips and the plane flys much nicer than
the 15M with winglets. I am looking forward to running against an
other Ventus B this summer to compare the polars.

Tim

Old May 12th 05, 02:40 AM
Stewart Kissel

Since the first generation Ventus is a ship truly in
need of a pilot's hand on the stick...then even puttng
2X4's on the ends of the wings probably would help.

A couple of comments on this, you should have better
handling with winglets...so comparing them to non-winglet
wingspan is not really meaningful IMHO. I have flown
side by side with both ships flying winglets and the
two different spans. Your crossover sounds about right....80-90
knots is a typical interthermal speed and that is somewhat
of a coin flip.

However the short wings can carry a lot more water...hence
a lot more wingloading...and when this is the case...the
16.6 gets left behind on the glides.

Old May 13th 05, 01:59 PM
Frederic FUCHS

I have done two flights with my new ventus B16.60 (small winglets) last
week-end :
http://planeur.phpnet.org/galerie/pi...418&expand=all
http://planeur.phpnet.org/galerie/pi...415&expand=all
http://planeur.phpnet.org/galerie/pi...416&expand=all

I will test the 15.00 winglets next time !

It looks like there are many version on 16.60 tips : with small wiglets,
with "big" winglets, no winglet, .....

Have fun !

Frederic

wrote in message
Looking for a set of 16.6m tips for a ventus B.
(No I haven't lost them) :-)

Thanks
Chris

Old May 13th 05, 05:50 PM
Stewart Kissel

Very cool image in front of the cliff...where is that?
How far away was your wingtip from the granite?

Old May 13th 05, 07:51 PM
Bill Hoadley

Yes, great pictures, but that sure looks like limestone or dolomite.
No, can't make it to Salida this weekend, back trouble. BH "IU"

Old May 13th 05, 11:03 PM
Frederic

Hello,

French Alpes near "Challes les Eaux" (Chambery) in "la Chartreuse"
http://www.csvva.org/alpes.htm

Regards,

Frederic

message de news: ...

Old May 14th 05, 01:50 AM

Great pictures and all and thanks for the info on how well all your
Vb's go with 16.6m tips, though I was actually hoping to get my hands
on a pair of tips (did I spell that right?) myself.

:-)

Happy flying all.
Chris
Old May 15th 05, 06:02 AM
ttaylor at cc.usu.edu

Here is a picture of my Ventus B with 16.6M tips with ASW27A winglets.
It is being flown by the previous owner, Al Macdonald.

http://www.gliderforum.com/photos/sh...&currentpos=22

With the these 16.6M tips it flies better than the 15M with winglets.

Tim

wanted: hangar door tips Joa Home Built 35 April 18th 04 02:19 PM
wanted: hangar door tips Joa Owning 36 April 18th 04 02:19 PM
wanted: hangar door tips Joa Piloting 35 April 18th 04 02:19 PM
Wanted LS6C Winglets/17.5 Tips Ed Hollestelle Soaring 0 April 13th 04 10:30 PM
ferret scout car- tips wanted zanes Military Aviation 1 November 24th 03 10:51 AM