What are some good WW2 POW movies

Old August 9th 04, 09:55 AM
Ragnar

Default What are some good WW2 POW movies

"Brett" wrote in message
ws.com...
"Richard Johnson" wrote:
OK, I've seen Stalag 17, The Great Escape, and Hart's War. I thoroughly
enjoyed the first two, read up on the facts and researched the

background
the movies. Hart's War I thought was well written for the suspense and
subplots, except for the ending and some historical liberties, it was

OK.

What other movies of similiar genre are out there? That are worth

watching?

I'm surprised no one mentioned "Das Boot".

Probably because its not a POW movie.

Old August 9th 04, 11:20 AM
Keith Willshaw

"George Shirley" wrote in message
news
Keith Willshaw wrote:

Did you see the documentary where the old boys actually built and one
flew a replica glider? Brought tears to my eyes, they actually could
have done it.

As I recall it actually flew rather well.

Keith

Old August 9th 04, 11:22 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Bob Tenney" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 15:26:31 -0400, "Richard Johnson"
wrote:

OK, I've seen Stalag 17, The Great Escape, and Hart's War. I thoroughly
enjoyed the first two, read up on the facts and researched the background

the movies. Hart's War I thought was well written for the suspense and
subplots, except for the ending and some historical liberties, it was OK.

La Grande Illusion. Simply superb. Its about French POWs in the Great
War but also about the end of the old Europe.

Was that the one with Eric Von Stroheim as the camp commander ?

Keith

Old August 9th 04, 12:47 PM
Howard Berkowitz

Another worth mentioning, also historical, but so gut-wrenching I can
watch it every 5-10 years, is "The Highest Honor", produced by a joint
Australian-Japanese team. It documents both the combat story of a
deep-raiding Australian unit, and then how both sides are unwillingly
caught up in the highest traditions of their own cultures. It's classic
tragedy worthy of any of the Greek masters.
Old August 9th 04, 01:17 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Bob Tenney wrote:

La Grande Illusion. Simply superb. Its about French POWs in the Great
War but also about the end of the old Europe.

Paradise Road... about a group of allied women imprisoned by the Japanese on
Sumatra. Based on a true story...

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Old August 9th 04, 02:04 PM
Brett

"Keith Willshaw" wrote:
"Brett" wrote in message
ws.com...
"ArtKramr" wrote:

I'm surprised no one mentioned "Das Boot".

All quiet on the Western Front

Wrong war, check the subject line.

Pot Kettle Black

Last time I checked Das Boot wasnt a POW movie

You're right, I should have gone to bed instead of posting. So something
closer to the requirements might be "Paradise Road" with Glenn Close. A
story about women interned as enemy aliens by the Japanese.

Old August 9th 04, 02:04 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message
Another worth mentioning, also historical, but so gut-wrenching I can
watch it every 5-10 years, is "The Highest Honor", produced by a joint
Australian-Japanese team. It documents both the combat story of a
deep-raiding Australian unit, and then how both sides are unwillingly
caught up in the highest traditions of their own cultures. It's classic
tragedy worthy of any of the Greek masters.

Is that the one about the unit using the limpet mines to attack Japanese
shipping, where the mass execution occurs at the end? ISTR it was supposed
to be based upon factual events?

Brooks

Old August 9th 04, 02:09 PM
Dave Kearton

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

| "Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message
| Another worth mentioning, also historical, but so gut-wrenching I can
| watch it every 5-10 years, is "The Highest Honor", produced by a joint
| Australian-Japanese team. It documents both the combat story of a
| deep-raiding Australian unit, and then how both sides are unwillingly
| caught up in the highest traditions of their own cultures. It's classic
| tragedy worthy of any of the Greek masters.
|
| Is that the one about the unit using the limpet mines to attack Japanese
| shipping, where the mass execution occurs at the end? ISTR it was supposed
| to be based upon factual events?
|
| Brooks

Absolutely, Google for 'Operation Jaywick'

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old August 9th 04, 02:23 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Dave Kearton" wrote in
message ...
"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

| "Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message
| Another worth mentioning, also historical, but so gut-wrenching I can
| watch it every 5-10 years, is "The Highest Honor", produced by a joint
| Australian-Japanese team. It documents both the combat story of a
| deep-raiding Australian unit, and then how both sides are unwillingly
| caught up in the highest traditions of their own cultures. It's

classic
| tragedy worthy of any of the Greek masters.
|
| Is that the one about the unit using the limpet mines to attack Japanese
| shipping, where the mass execution occurs at the end? ISTR it was

supposed
| to be based upon factual events?
|
| Brooks

Absolutely, Google for 'Operation Jaywick'

Thanks.

Brooks

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old August 9th 04, 10:10 PM
Ragnar

"Richard Johnson" wrote in message
.. .
OK, I've seen Stalag 17, The Great Escape, and Hart's War. I thoroughly
enjoyed the first two, read up on the facts and researched the background

the movies. Hart's War I thought was well written for the suspense and
subplots, except for the ending and some historical liberties, it was OK.

What other movies of similiar genre are out there? That are worth

watching?

Thanks.

Von Ryan's Express