Fuel Flow instrument

Old March 16th 05, 12:48 AM
Billc851

Default Fuel Flow instrument

has anyone considered trying a marine fuel flow instrument in home built.
http://www.navman.com/marine/product...100/index.html

I was considering the EI-fp-5 but at $750 it a bit pricy for my budget.. The
marine unit does the same thing for $150

Any thoughts?
Bill

Old March 16th 05, 01:00 AM
MikeR

"Billc851" wrote in message
has anyone considered trying a marine fuel flow instrument in home built.
http://www.navman.com/marine/product...100/index.html

I was considering the EI-fp-5 but at $750 it a bit pricy for my budget..

The
marine unit does the same thing for $150

Any thoughts?
Bill

I'm currently using that unit on my 19 foot Glasply. It functions well for
me. It has barbed fittings and I would have preferred flared.

MikeR

Old March 16th 05, 02:32 AM
Montblack

("Billc851" wrote)
snip
has anyone considered trying a marine fuel flow instrument in home built.
http://www.navman.com/marine/product...100/index.html

32F/0C for the low end operating temp?

Maybe it isn't intended for the icebreaker segment of the marine market.

Montblack

Old March 16th 05, 06:11 PM
John Kunkel

"Billc851" wrote in message
has anyone considered trying a marine fuel flow instrument in home built.
http://www.navman.com/marine/product...100/index.html

I was considering the EI-fp-5 but at $750 it a bit pricy for my budget..
The marine unit does the same thing for $150

I'd check put the design of the transmitter, aircraft certified FF
transmitters will allow full fuel flow even if the transmitter malfunctions;
some commercial units reportedly will restrict fuel flow if the internal
wheel seizes up.

Old March 16th 05, 07:37 PM
Michael

John Kunkel wrote:
I'd check put the design of the transmitter, aircraft certified FF
transmitters will allow full fuel flow even if the transmitter

malfunctions;
some commercial units reportedly will restrict fuel flow if the

internal
wheel seizes up.

Such things have been reported - but not by reliable witnesses.

Seriously, a turbine is not a positive-displacement meter. Even if the
bearings freeze, liquid can still get past it.

The main difference between electronics designed for airplanes and
boats is cost, not quality.

Michael

Old March 16th 05, 08:29 PM
MikeR

"John Kunkel" wrote in message

"Billc851" wrote in message
has anyone considered trying a marine fuel flow instrument in home

built.
http://www.navman.com/marine/product...100/index.html

I was considering the EI-fp-5 but at $750 it a bit pricy for my budget..
The marine unit does the same thing for $150

I'd check put the design of the transmitter, aircraft certified FF
transmitters will allow full fuel flow even if the transmitter

malfunctions;
some commercial units reportedly will restrict fuel flow if the internal
wheel seizes up.

No wheel in this one (electrical impulses).

Old March 16th 05, 10:30 PM
Blueskies

"MikeR" wrote in message ...

No wheel in this one (electrical impulses).

Impulses from what?

Old March 16th 05, 11:06 PM
Greg Piney

Bill,

You may want to take a look at the Aveo MaxiSingles model FF-3. It is
$172 plus $125 for the sender. I have 2 of their instruments and like
them alot.

http://www.aveousa.com/avionics/inst...gles/index.htm

Greg Piney

Old March 16th 05, 11:45 PM
MikeR

"Blueskies" wrote in message
. com...

"MikeR" wrote in message

No wheel in this one (electrical impulses).

Impulses from what?

Ref: http://203.167.230.122/qiss/scripts/FAQFrame.htm

Title: How does the flow transducer work?
Question/Symptom:
How does the flow transducer work?

Answer/Solution:
NAVMAN flow transducers are of an optical type. Within the transducer
are a transmitter and receiver that output an infrared beam through the body
of the transducer. Inside the transducer is a very precisely dimensioned
turbine running on jewelled bearings. As the fuel flows it spins the turbine
and the blades cut the infrared beam, which transmits a pulsed signal to the
fuel computer.

Old March 17th 05, 01:13 AM
Blueskies

"MikeR" wrote in message ...

"Blueskies" wrote in message
. com...

"MikeR" wrote in message

No wheel in this one (electrical impulses).

Impulses from what?

Ref: http://203.167.230.122/qiss/scripts/FAQFrame.htm

Title: How does the flow transducer work?
Question/Symptom:
How does the flow transducer work?

Answer/Solution:
NAVMAN flow transducers are of an optical type. Within the transducer
are a transmitter and receiver that output an infrared beam through the body
of the transducer. Inside the transducer is a very precisely dimensioned
turbine running on jewelled bearings. As the fuel flows it spins the turbine
and the blades cut the infrared beam, which transmits a pulsed signal to the
fuel computer.

OK, normal stuff. Thanks for the link. The concern from the other folks is what happens to pressure drop if the (turbine
in this case) wheel seizes up. Usually it will add some pressure drop with a corresponding restriction to the flow, but
the turbine types pass fluid pretty well even if seized...