COBRA Anti-Sway Coupler

Old September 4th 20, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Default COBRA Anti-Sway Coupler

Most modern trailers are exempt from the 80 km/h limitation and are allowed to go 100 km/h. Still not the speed some 18-wheelers do here but a big improvement for the German Autobahn.

Uli
'AS'

In France, the limit is 130 kph, and I usually set my cruise control to 120 kph.
Old September 4th 20, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 9/4/20 9:43 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Thursday, September 3, 2020 at 9:45:25 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, September 3, 2020 at 6:19:20 PM UTC-7, AS wrote:
On Thursday, September 3, 2020 at 8:43:52 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, September 3, 2020 at 4:40:00 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I've installed three or four of these on Cobra trailers. Very well made and nicely designed. I put them on both single place and two seat glider trailers. They are pretty effective at controlling sway, even though the customers all tow with full-size pickups or SUVs. It definitely helps when towing with a short wheelbase vehicle.

I can't say how effective they are with something like a VW Golf, (but I consider that to be too small to tow a glider anyway. Maybe the wagon, with the longer wheelbase will work better.) I know they tow with tiny vehicles in Europe, but the glider trailers all have an 80 kph limit over there. Here in the US, 75 mph freeway speeds, crosswinds and passing eighteen wheelers are going to make towing a pretty "sporty" adventure. Keep an eye on the rear view mirror. If the trailer changes lanes, try to stay in front of it ;-)

You do have to use an actual 50 mm ball. A two inch ball is too big for the clamping action and 1 7/8" is too small. Remember that it's unlikely that anyone else will be able to tow your trailer unless they also have a 50 mm ball. Order an un-plated (stainless steel) ball if possible. Chrome plating has a tendency to start flaking off under the clamping loads while turning. Lubrication is NOT permitted, as it negates the clamping friction that controls sway. Another issue is making sure the ball CANNOT turn and loosen the nut! No matter how much torque you put on the nut, it can still get loose. In Europe, the ball must be welded to the hitch plate. I usually machined a flat spot on the base of the ball just above the threaded shank and welded a piece of steel bar stock to the hitch plate.

Hope this helps.

80 kph is about 50 mph. Do that on Nevada's 80 mph freeways and they will be scraping you off some 18-wheeler's grill guard.

Tom

Most modern trailers are exempt from the 80 km/h limitation and are allowed to go 100 km/h. Still not the speed some 18-wheelers do here but a big improvement for the German Autobahn.

Uli
'AS'

100 kph is 62 mph - pretty slow by US standards (but not California which has a 55 mph speed limit while towing that nobody obeys).

Tom

I have lived in California for 35 years. I am unaware of this "I can't drive 55" while towing law/suggestion.

You've never looked at the signs?? It's posted that way in many places,
but it's not universal.

https://www.safemotorist.com/California/Roads/speed/

Old September 4th 20, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Jonathan St. Cloud wrote on 9/4/2020 8:43 AM:
Most modern trailers are exempt from the 80 km/h limitation and are allowed to go 100 km/h. Still not the speed some 18-wheelers do here but a big improvement for the German Autobahn.

Uli
'AS'

100 kph is 62 mph - pretty slow by US standards (but not California which has a 55 mph speed limit while towing that nobody obeys).

Tom

I have lived in California for 35 years. I am unaware of this "I can't drive 55" while towing law/suggestion.

It's "can't drive OVER 55", it's not a suggestion, it's been the law for decades,
and is on every highway speed sign where the . A friend of my wife paid a $150+
fine for violating it. It is surprising you aren't aware of this - perhaps you do
not tow anything? Search for "California speed limits" and you find this:

55 mph: Unless otherwise posted, the maximum speed limit is 55 mph on two-lane
undivided highways and for vehicles towing trailers.

SafeMotorist.com

Old September 4th 20, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 04 Sep 2020 08:43:31 -0700, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

I have lived in California for 35 years. I am unaware of this "I can't
drive 55" while towing law/suggestion.

A friend was pulled over for breaking it in 1993 in the Mojave, towing a
trail bike on an open-frame trailer - we were driving from Denver to Lost
Hills for the Free Flight World Champs. The cop complemented Ken for the
way it was towing but IIRC he said, in effect "...but the law is the law:
my hands are tied, bud".

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old September 4th 20, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I've driven to Minden and to Bishop towing my glider and have seen the
speed limit signs:Â* Vehicles with Trailers - 55 mph.Â* It's absolutely
ridiculous, but I was also checked for bringing fruit into the state.Â*
The same state that seems to want an open southern border...

On 9/4/2020 9:43 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
[...]

Dan, 5J
Old September 4th 20, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 9/4/20 12:08 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
I've driven to Minden and to Bishop towing my glider and have seen the
speed limit signs:Â* Vehicles with Trailers - 55 mph.Â* It's absolutely
ridiculous, but I was also checked for bringing fruit into the state.
The same state that seems to want an open southern border...

Did you see the signs warning it's illegal to have a car GPS on the
middle of the dash? Lower left or lower right corner of windshield
only! Gruesome Newsome knows what's best for you.
Old September 4th 20, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

kinsell wrote on 9/4/2020 11:21 AM:
On 9/4/20 12:08 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
I've driven to Minden and to Bishop towing my glider and have seen the speed
limit signs:* Vehicles with Trailers - 55 mph.* It's absolutely ridiculous, but
I was also checked for bringing fruit into the state. The same state that seems
to want an open southern border...

Did you see the signs warning it's illegal to have a car GPS on the middle of the
dash?* Lower left or lower right corner of windshield only!* Gruesome Newsome
knows what's best for you.

Ram Mounts company and other entities are very clear the device can be mounted
anywhere on the dash as long as it does obstruct your view, but it can not be
mounted on the windshield unless it's in the lower left or lower right corners.

Seems reasonable to me.

Old September 4th 20, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Friday, September 4, 2020 at 2:42:41 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
kinsell wrote on 9/4/2020 11:21 AM:
On 9/4/20 12:08 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
I've driven to Minden and to Bishop towing my glider and have seen the speed
limit signs:Â* Vehicles with Trailers - 55 mph.Â* It's absolutely ridiculous, but
I was also checked for bringing fruit into the state. The same state that seems
to want an open southern border...

Did you see the signs warning it's illegal to have a car GPS on the middle of the
dash?Â* Lower left or lower right corner of windshield only!Â* Gruesome Newsome
knows what's best for you.

Ram Mounts company and other entities are very clear the device can be mounted
anywhere on the dash as long as it does obstruct your view, but it can not be
mounted on the windshield unless it's in the lower left or lower right corners.

Seems reasonable to me.

My car owner's manual says it is unsafe to put a GPS or phone in front of the A-pillar airbags, lest it become a lethal projectile when they go off.

Old September 4th 20, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Thread Drift on RAS, who would've thunk.

Solid advice from Mark Mocho. I've towed a lot of mostly new-ish Cobra trailers around the country at Speed Limit+5 but never more than 80 MPH (I'm looking at you Texas and Utah). None of them that I recall had the anti-sway coupler and none of them ever showed the slightest tendency to sway behind my 3.6L Subaru Outback.

On Friday, September 4, 2020 at 3:19:37 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

trailer sway mitigation TSM princiar[_2_] Soaring 67 December 26th 19 05:14 PM
AL-KO Cobra Trailer Coupler Keyhole Slot? OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net Soaring 8 October 23rd 17 10:59 PM
Dual axle sway glider[_2_] Soaring 7 March 2nd 10 04:36 AM
GS antenna coupler [email protected] Home Built 3 July 19th 05 09:40 AM
trailer sway [email protected] Soaring 14 June 19th 05 09:02 AM