Replacing Generator with Alternator

Old October 10th 03, 04:19 PM
Thomas Ploch

Default Replacing Generator with Alternator

We are in the process of replacing the engine (O-235-C1) on our Piper
PA-12. The new engine comes with an Alternator. The existing
electrical system utilizes a Generator. I understand that we will
have to replace the voltage regulator in order to make use of the
Alternator. As I understand it, the voltage regulator is part of the
airframe, so we will need some type of approval to do this. I can't
find an STC for replacing the generator with an alternator on the
PA-12.

Can anyone help me with what needs to be done to get this approved?

Thanks.
Old October 11th 03, 03:36 AM
Stu Gotts

Or, if that doesn't help, the STC should include the voltage
regulator, a breaker and maybe even thicker primary wire. Try
contacting the alternator's manufacturer, they aren't so anal about
the STC's. They realize it generates business.

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:46:30 -0600, mikem
wrote:

Frequent topic on forums or email list at:

www.shortwing.org

MikeM
Pacer '00Z