Sun Visor Replacement

Old June 23rd 05, 12:37 PM

I know that right now you are shopping for sun visors,
but did you ever consider shopping for shoulder belts?
It saves a bundle on sun visors - plus your rescuers don't have such a
mess to clean up! - Hopefully

I have 4 point inertial shoulder harnesses that I had installed 6 years
ago. They were almost $2000. They seem to work to arrest forward
motion sudden stop, but don't stop vertical motion. Seems like an
old-fashioned lap belt would work.

Old June 23rd 05, 12:57 PM
Viperdoc

As I recall, a set of new blades was only around $30.00 at Oshkosh last
year.

Old June 23rd 05, 01:28 PM
Ron Natalie

john smith wrote:
Ron Natalie wrote:

I shut the canopy on one of mine and Margy did the other. Rosen wants
a lot of money for replacement blades. I'm thinking about running down
to the local plexiglass supplier and just getting stuff to fabricate
them myself. The arms are fine.

If you are going to do that, get LEXAN instead of Plexilass.

That might keep them from shattering when I slam the canopy on them,
but the acrylic will not scratch as badly.
Old June 23rd 05, 01:29 PM
Ron Natalie

Viperdoc wrote:
As I recall, a set of new blades was only around $30.00 at Oshkosh last
year.

Not from Rosen, they wanted almost as much for a single blade as I paid
for the visors originally.
Old June 23rd 05, 02:23 PM
Mike Rapoport

There was a place in Los Angeles called Tap Plastics that had Lexan. Try
the yellow pages under plastic. Aircraft Spruce also has it.

Mike
MU-2

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
When I replaced the landing-light cover on our Mooney I was looking for
Lexan to use. All the home stores Lowes, Menards, Home Depot ect had
plexiglass and no Lexan.

Just where do you find sheets of Lexan? Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks!!

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201

Old June 23rd 05, 03:08 PM
jsmith

Jon Kraus wrote:
Just where do you find sheets of Lexan? Inquiring minds want to know.

Cadillac Plastics is where I used to get it when I lived in Cincinnati.

Old June 23rd 05, 03:13 PM
RST Engineering

Ron ...

You can send TAP Plastics the old one (or just a drawing if you like) and
they will fabricate a new one for about a quarter to a tenth of what you
would pay Rosen for a replacement. Not only that, but you can specify what
% light transmission you want if you want a darker or lighter shade.

www.tapplastics.com

Jim

Old June 23rd 05, 08:34 PM

Jon,
Last fall, we were shopping for plexiglass to build a cockpit
console and found both Lexan (polycarbonate) and plexiglass (acrylic,
polymethyl methacrylate) at HomeDepot. If it was not on the shell,
they may order it for you.
Aircraftspruce also sells Lexan
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/lexan.php

Old June 23rd 05, 08:52 PM
Javier Henderson

"Mike Rapoport" writes:

There was a place in Los Angeles called Tap Plastics that had Lexan. Try
the yellow pages under plastic. Aircraft Spruce also has it.

http://www.tapplastics.com/

-jav
Old June 23rd 05, 09:26 PM
Ron Natalie

Jon Kraus wrote:
When I replaced the landing-light cover on our Mooney I was looking for
Lexan to use. All the home stores Lowes, Menards, Home Depot ect had
plexiglass and no Lexan.

Home Depot hear has lexan. I bought a small 4x6" piece even to replace
some glass around the house. They had larger. What they only have is
clear which is sort of silly for a sunvisor.