solo IFR

Old May 27th 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kevin Clarke

Default solo IFR

I got my IFR ticket almost 3 mos ago. Due to a variety of reasons I just
didn't fly much after that. Between work, school and family I needed to
take a break from the intense training leading up to the checkride on
March 1. I've done a little flying since then but with other pilots,
switching off as safety pilots, shooting an approach. Nothing intense
however.

Yesterday though the weather looked good, though hazy. I wanted my first
solo IFR to be in good weather. Let's handle 1 thing at time. Took off
out of KFIT for KBHB at about 6:00 pm. Got my clearance from Boston ENE
direct BHB as filed. Nice, and I was off to the races. I had a few
vectors to scoot around MHT but was back on course in a few. Climb to my
cruise altitude of 5000' and was direct for ENE. There was occasional
convective turbulence but nothing dramatic. The winds were more out of
the west than forecast so I had a bit of a tailwind. I was making
between 113 and 129kts ground speed after I turned to 065 at ENE. I
guess the winds were variable that is why I guess my ground speed was
here and there.

Uneventful ride. I had the ipod playing on shuffle, Chuck Berry, Howling
Wolf, Stevie Ray. No traffic to speak of. At one point, after maybe 20
minutes of radio silence, Brunswick Appch called for a radio check. I
was about to do the same thing. It had been that quiet. Picked up Bangor
appch and got my vectors for the ILS 22. Fly past the airport and turned
onto the localizer. Missed the landing clearance and had to ask to "say
again". The read back is easy when you play it over in your head, on the
ground, but up there watching altitude, airspeed etc, you get stupid. At
least I do. Anyway, 5 from Surry, turn 190, descend 2300 until
established on the localizer, cleared ILS 22.

Shot the worst ILS I ever have. Fly threw the beam, not once, but twice
.... was too fast, my descent rate was good however. Cancelled IFR in the
air when I was maybe 1.5 miles out. Slowed her up and greased it on.

Mostly uneventful. It is good to remember how intense that workload
gets. I forgot to flip my radio over to the CTAF, so I came into BHB in
stealth mode. Never announced, bad. A few lessons learned/remembered.
Fortunately traffic was light to none at 7:50 pm.

Next up on the ladder, some light IFR actual. Also just have to fly
more. Rust never sleeps.

KC
Old May 27th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Kevin Clarke" wrote:

Howling Wolf

*ahem*

That's "Howlin' Wolf," son.

Next up on the ladder, some light IFR actual. Also just have to fly more.
Rust never sleeps.

The best thing you can do is fly x-country a bunch and file IFR everywhere you
go, regardless of weather. That will get you used to all the stuff ATC can
throw at you.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old May 27th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

It's worth flying approaches on flight sim to stay sharp. It's no
substitute by a long shot, but it helps keep the rust off certain things.

Jose
--
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those that just want to
know what button to push, and those that want to know what happens when
Old May 27th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Kevin Clarke writes:

Missed the landing clearance and had to ask to "say
again". The read back is easy when you play it over in your head, on the
ground, but up there watching altitude, airspeed etc, you get stupid.

That's what paper and pencil are for.

Shot the worst ILS I ever have. Fly threw the beam, not once, but twice
... was too fast, my descent rate was good however. Cancelled IFR in the
air when I was maybe 1.5 miles out. Slowed her up and greased it on.

What would you have done if you had not been able to see anything?
Old May 27th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

Considering that you've never flown anything other than a chair and a desk,
you're hardly qualified to offer advice or criticize the actions of real
pilots.

Old May 27th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

Viperdoc wrote

Considering that you've never flown anything other than a chair and a
desk, you're hardly qualified to offer advice or criticize the actions
of real pilots.

I see no advice nor criticism, just a question coming from someone
who has never been there and would like a better understanding of
what happens at an uncontrolled field.

Bob Moore
Old May 27th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_2_]

Next up on the ladder, some light IFR actual. Also just have to fly
more. Rust never sleeps.

The best thing you can do is fly x-country a bunch and file IFR
everywhere you go, regardless of weather. That will get you used to
all the stuff ATC can throw at you.

I agree with this. Flying IFR in mostly nice weather into busy
terminal areas is what I did for awhile. Good getting used to wacky
arrival procedures, altitude (20K feet), etc. I also did some weather
flights for decision making. Was over a year before I asked the wife
to sit through an actual ILS approach into an airport in IMC. I may be
more cautious than most.

Chris

Old May 27th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

That's what paper and pencil are for.

What would you have done if you had not been able to see anything?

You're a clueless bore with zero experience, and once again, your reading
comprehension sucks at best.

Old May 27th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"Kevin Clarke" wrote in message
link.net...

At one time I flew an F-4E fighter, but I found IFR solo in my Beech Bonaza
would keep me busy. One of the issues with solo in the Bonaza was no
autopilot and very unstable in roll. If it was the least bit bumpy, a quick
trip to the map case to get the next map would be awarded with a 60 degree
roll by the time you looked back at the instruments. If I had the money, I
certainly would have gotten a wings leveller.

I agree with the comment to do lots of IFR cross country in good weather to
get used to the system.

Danny Deger

Old May 27th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kevin Clarke

Dan Luke wrote:
"Kevin Clarke" wrote:

Howling Wolf

*ahem*

That's "Howlin' Wolf," son.

My bad, Howlin' Wolf, of course. Hey it was my 1st cup o' Joe this
morning. :-)

The best thing you can do is fly x-country a bunch and file IFR everywhere you
go, regardless of weather. That will get you used to all the stuff ATC can
throw at you.

that's the plan. Thanks.

KC

First Solo [email protected] Piloting 37 May 4th 07 06:17 PM
First Solo W P Dixon Piloting 8 August 16th 06 05:07 AM
1.4 solo.. Beav Rotorcraft 0 November 5th 04 12:27 AM
First solo Gerhard Boehm Soaring 5 November 3rd 03 10:46 PM
Solo in a 2-32 M B Soaring 3 September 30th 03 03:11 AM