First Solo

Old June 21st 09, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vic20owner

Default First Solo

Well, It's been about 1 year asked about where to learn to fly gliders
in Central FL on this newsgroup. Several of you directed me to
Seminole Lake Gliderport, and my mom purchased an intro flight for me
for my 37th birthday 6/21/2008. I did my 1st flight (my intro) on Dec
12 2008, and today, 06/20/2009, the day before my 38th birthday, I
soloed!

I would just like to thank all of you for the help, advice, and
encouragement. A new glider pilot has been born. Yes, I am going to
continue to my PPL. I understand from my instructor 50% do not
continue training (seems like a waste to me, but ....). I would also
like to thank everyone at Seminole Lake Gliderport in Clermont, FL. I
am very happy with the staff. I had a great time and made some
friends. Looking forward to spending a lot of time there.

To bed now, I did not sleep well last night I have video, but I am
sure you are well familiar with what a Blanik L-23 looks like
landing

Thanks!!!
Tom

Old June 21st 09, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Chapman

hello Tom, congratulations !!!

Why do a PPL? Focus on gliding - cross country and task/competition
flying is fantastic fun! A big fan in front is just like flying a
computer game!

Happy landings,
David.

Old June 21st 09, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Why do a PPL? Focus on gliding - cross country and task/competition
flying is fantastic fun! A big fan in front is just like flying a
computer game!

I second that. But the expression "continue to PPL" shows that you are
not yet a glider pilot. You should rather continue to cross country
flying to discover what gliding is all about. Power flying is a step
*backwards* from gliding.
Old June 21st 09, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

David Chapman wrote:
hello Tom, congratulations !!!

Why do a PPL? Focus on gliding - cross country and task/competition
flying is fantastic fun! A big fan in front is just like flying a
computer game!

Happy landings,
David.

Isn't PPL "Private Pilot License"? Won't he need to get that so he can
take passengers if he desires and be able to fly more than a 25 mile
radius of his training airport? Maybe "PPL" means something else?

Scott
Old June 21st 09, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vic20owner

Why do a PPL? *Focus on gliding - cross country and task/competition
flying is fantastic fun! *A big fan in front is just like flying a
computer game!

Happy landings,
David.

Isn't PPL "Private Pilot License"? *Won't he need to get that so he can
take passengers if he desires and be able to fly more than a 25 mile
radius of his training airport? *Maybe "PPL" means something else?

Scott

Thanks guys, yes, I was referring to a Private Pilot's License, not
the powered license (although I add that later) ... I am definitely
focusing on gliding and cross country, and will eventually be buying
my own glider (once I get more experience and the PL). An interest in
gliding is why I started flying.

Here's the solo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zygu756sZto

Tom
Old June 21st 09, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_2_]

Congratulations Tom !!!
Soaring is such a wonderful thing and it is great that you have been
able to get your first solo flight. Getting from solo to license is
really
not that far away now. Fly as much as you can and get into the books
so that you will so be ready for your exam. I find that most student
never finish their license, because they will not study to get the FAA
written test completed. Here is link that you can use to do practice
written test. http://www.mywrittenexam.com

Thanks for sharing your video.

Randy
Old June 21st 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

vic20owner wrote:

Thanks guys, yes, I was referring to a Private Pilot's License, not
the powered license (although I add that later) ... I am definitely
focusing on gliding and cross country, and will eventually be buying
my own glider (once I get more experience and the PL). An interest in
gliding is why I started flying.

Here's the solo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zygu756sZto

Tom

WAAAAAY COOOOOL! Congrats! I'm a powered pilot with a few glider
flights but haven't soloed a glider yet and envious of you! Keep at it

Do you collect Commodore VIC-20s? I have a couple myself along with a
C-64....fun old computers

Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com

Old June 21st 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

*I did my 1st flight (my intro) on Dec
12 2008, and today, 06/20/2009, the day before my 38th birthday, I
soloed!

Congratulations and welcome to what is possibly the most addictive
activity known to man!

Kirk
66
Old June 21st 09, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Jun 20, 9:24*pm, vic20owner wrote:
[...]

Congratulations, AND Happy Birthday Tom!

-Paul
Old June 22nd 09, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vic20owner

Thanks, I I should have said GPL?

Thanks
-tom

solo IFR Kevin Clarke Piloting 15 May 28th 07 10:45 PM
L33 Solo Jeff Runciman Soaring 11 November 15th 05 04:56 PM
L33 Solo Jeff Runciman Soaring 1 November 14th 05 08:57 AM
L33 Solo Gordon Schubert Soaring 0 November 14th 05 03:42 AM
First solo Gerhard Boehm Soaring 5 November 3rd 03 10:46 PM