Lowest power tow

Old January 20th 20, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

Default Lowest power tow

On Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 12:30:51 AM UTC-5, wrote:
What's the lowest power tow plane you've ever seen or towed by? An Examiner of mine said his was a C150 with 100hp. I also once saw paperwork for an 85hp Luscombe to tow.

Low power, maybe not but I had a slow and scary tow in Oz
behind a spray/ag Pawnee in a ballasted Libelle, below 45 kts.
Didn't dare to use aileron so I just kept pedalling in low tow
till I fell off more or less stalled at 1800 agl; Reprimanded by
the CD for releasing outside the release zone!

At the other end of scary, a tow by a Cessna 190 at 90+ kts
in rough conditions.

John F
Old January 20th 20, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 1:44:14 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Well, let's see...Â* There are self launching gliders, winches, ground
launches, bungee, gravity...Â* We're really spoiled in the US with our
aero tows.Â* How about an air boat?

Dan, 5J

Not sure about an air boat but experiencing a launch by sea-plane would be interesting. Has been done in 1935 with a Do-12 towing a DFS Seeadler.
Sorry for the thread drift .... ;-)

Uli
'AS'
Old January 20th 20, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 4:05:35 PM UTC-5, AS wrote:
On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 1:44:14 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Well, let's see...Â* There are self launching gliders, winches, ground
launches, bungee, gravity...Â* We're really spoiled in the US with our
aero tows.Â* How about an air boat?

Dan, 5J

Not sure about an air boat but experiencing a launch by sea-plane would be interesting. Has been done in 1935 with a Do-12 towing a DFS Seeadler.
Sorry for the thread drift .... ;-)

Uli
'AS'

Just remembered Schweizer built a motorized prototype off a 1-26 that was supposed to be a cheap tug. Anyone know if it didn't work well or there was no market?
Old January 20th 20, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 2:21:15 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 4:05:35 PM UTC-5, AS wrote:
On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 1:44:14 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Well, let's see...Â* There are self launching gliders, winches, ground
launches, bungee, gravity...Â* We're really spoiled in the US with our
aero tows.Â* How about an air boat?

Dan, 5J

Not sure about an air boat but experiencing a launch by sea-plane would be interesting. Has been done in 1935 with a Do-12 towing a DFS Seeadler.
Sorry for the thread drift .... ;-)

Uli
'AS'

Just remembered Schweizer built a motorized prototype off a 1-26 that was supposed to be a cheap tug. Anyone know if it didn't work well or there was no market?

Neither the 1-30 nor the 2-31 were not used at the soaring school while I was a teenager working as a line boy and learning to fly. They were rarely ever flown.
Old January 20th 20, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 3:11:49 PM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:
[...]

Should have been neither were used. Sorry.

Mike
Old January 21st 20, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 5:11:49 PM UTC-5, Mike C wrote:
[...]

There are photos of the 1-30 towing a 1-26. Not sure if it got much past testing stage.
UH
Old January 23rd 20, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The long-standing absolute altitude record taken in the 1-23 was off an 85hp Luscombe tow...
Old January 24th 20, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colten Coughlin

On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 9:16:52 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 9:34:30 AM UTC-5, wrote:
"Is it time to design the sailplane towing version of the Dragonfly for when we run out of Pawnees? Be interesting to see what the soaring brain trust could come up with."

If only there was a way to get gliders in the air that didn't require dangerous and expensive rare airplanes... if only there was a "brain trust" elsewhere in the world we could look to for answers. Sigh... well it looks like we're alone with this mystery.

Giant rubber bands? Better yet a giant rubber band powered towplane.

Yes! I think you have come up with a new idea!
Old January 24th 20, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colten Coughlin

On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 3:21:15 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 4:05:35 PM UTC-5, AS wrote:
On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 1:44:14 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Well, let's see...Â* There are self launching gliders, winches, ground
launches, bungee, gravity...Â* We're really spoiled in the US with our
aero tows.Â* How about an air boat?

Dan, 5J

Not sure about an air boat but experiencing a launch by sea-plane would be interesting. Has been done in 1935 with a Do-12 towing a DFS Seeadler.
Sorry for the thread drift .... ;-)

Uli
'AS'

Just remembered Schweizer built a motorized prototype off a 1-26 that was supposed to be a cheap tug. Anyone know if it didn't work well or there was no market?

I know that there was the Schweizer 1-30 and then the 2-31, the 1-30 had the same tail and wings as a 1-26A. they were both low hp and the a two or three 2-31s were bought by the coast guard for drug surveillance on the border. I have not heard of them being used as towplanes.
Old January 24th 20, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

wrote:
"Is it time to design the sailplane towing version of the Dragonfly
for when we run out of Pawnees? Be interesting to see what the
soaring brain trust could come up with."

If only there was a way to get gliders in the air that didn't require
dangerous and expensive rare airplanes... if only there was a "brain
trust" elsewhere in the world we could look to for answers. Sigh...
well it looks like we're alone with this mystery.

Giant rubber bands? Better yet a giant rubber band powered towplane.

Yes! I think you have come up with a new idea!

One of these was built 10-20 years ago (in California IIRC), but never
flown AFAIK. It wasd pretty much just a giant version of an old-fashioned
rubber powered beginners free flight model, except the rubber motor was
inside a tubular fuselage rather than strung under a wooden beam.

There was a huge (20 ft diameter?) two-blade prop on the front, a long,
stalky two-wheel undercarriage with a single axle across between the
undercarriage legs and a wheel on each end. The 90kg rubber motor was
inside a narrow, tubular wooden (balsa?) fuselage. The pilot sat in a
small open nacelle mounted on the centre of the undercarriage axle. He
held an ordinary RC transmitter that controlled two large servos
connected to the rudder and elevators. No ailerons, flaps or airbrakes
were fitted. The wings had plenty of dihedral for roll stability, which
also meant that simply feeding in rudder would roll it into a turn.

They wound it up using the power take-off on a tractor.

It got as far as taxiing trials with the wings removed.

Not long after that, the website vanished. I don't know why it all went
silent and have never heard anything more about it since then.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org