Experimental LSA gliders?

Old February 18th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Experimental LSA gliders?

Hi Gang
Having a LSA power plane and in reviewing the proposed new
experimental certifications (FAA Order 8130.2F) which includes gliders
left me very puzzled. Why would anyone register a glider or motor
glider as an experimental or standard light sport aircraft (LSA)
although 8130.2F specifically includes them? The reason for
registering a power plane as a LSA is that no medical is required,
only a valid driving license, with the caveat that one is never denied
a medical. A glider or motor glider, whether registered as standard or
experimental, does not require the pilot to have a medical PERIOD. So
what am I missing? I am confused! Can anyone educate me please or is
this bureaucratic BS.
Dave
Old February 18th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The main benefit would probably be with a special light sport glider
like the TST -14 or Urban Air Lambada. If someone wanted to buy one
and either use it for personal use or giving rides/instruction they
could do their own maintenance including annuals and 100 hour
inspections after taking an 80 hour maintenance course. That would
give someone freedom from an A&P or IA if they chose to do so.

The light sport gives many benefits besides skipping out on a medical.
The main benefit is being able to try different types of aircraft
without having to drop so much money. Once you have your first rating
you can try out anything else that fits into light sport. That
includes airplane and weight shift - land and sea, glider, powered
parachute, rotorcraft (gyro), and lighter than air. You just have to
become proficient in the new category/class and your instructor will
sign you off to take a proficiency check with another instructor. No
examiner or minimum times.

If someone wanted to transition into gliders from another class they
would be pretty limited since they made it a Vne of 120kts and gross
weight of 1,320 lbs. The Vne limits a lot of gliders and they'd
probably be stuck in Schweizers (nothing wrong with that per se).

Anyone know of operations giving instruction in LSA gliders or towards
the rating?
Old February 18th 08, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 17, 7:13 pm, wrote:
[...]

The LSA max cruise speed is limited to 120 knots at any altitude up
to 10k feet msl (LSA rated pilot only) not VNE which is not defined.
For home built
gliders and powered aircraft both within the experimental categories
including but not limited to LSA experimental, constructors can do
their own annuals
after they have taken and passed a course. I still don't see an
advantage to register as a LSA except if it is a POWERED aircraft (not
glider
or motor glider) and there is a question concerning your medical.
I am told that insurance companies are becoming reluctant to issue
insurance policies to LSA pilots without medicals. I still have my
medical so it is not yet an issue for me.
Dave
Old February 18th 08, 06:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

wrote in message
On Feb 17, 7:13 pm, wrote:

The LSA max cruise speed is limited to 120 knots at any altitude up
to 10k feet msl (LSA rated pilot only) not VNE which is not defined.

Has the unpowered LSA (Glider) regs been change from a VNE limit of 120 Kts?
I know powered LSA have a Cruise limit of 120 kts. However, the last time I
checked, LSA (Glider) limit was still a VNE of 120 Kts. Has reason
prevailed a the Vne limit been removed? If so, could you please give me a
reference?

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old February 18th 08, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Feb 17, 7:13 pm, wrote:

The LSA max cruise speed is limited to 120 knots at any altitude up
to 10k feet msl (LSA rated pilot only) not VNE which is not defined.

Has the unpowered LSA (Glider) regs been change from a VNE limit of 120
Kts? I know powered LSA have a Cruise limit of 120 kts. However, the last
time I checked, LSA (Glider) limit was still a VNE of 120 Kts. Has
reason prevailed a the Vne limit been removed? If so, could you please
give me a reference?

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

According to the following link, glider are still limited to a Vne of 120
kts.
http://www.sportpilot.org/learn/sp_rule.pdf

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old February 18th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 17, 9:51 pm, "Wayne Paul" wrote:
"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Feb 17, 7:13 pm, wrote:

The LSA max cruise speed is limited to 120 knots at any altitude up
to 10k feet msl (LSA rated pilot only) not VNE which is not defined.

Has the unpowered LSA (Glider) regs been change from a VNE limit of 120
Kts? I know powered LSA have a Cruise limit of 120 kts. However, the last
time I checked, LSA (Glider) limit was still a VNE of 120 Kts. Has
reason prevailed a the Vne limit been removed? If so, could you please
give me a reference?

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

According to the following link, glider are still limited to a Vne of 120
kts.http://www.sportpilot.org/learn/sp_rule.pdf

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"http://www.soaridaho.com/

Hi Gang
I stand corrected. You all are right a LSA glider is limited to 120
knots
VNE (SparrowHawk 123 knots) and a max stall speed of 45 knots.
Surely these are yet more reasons to never register a glider in
the LSA category. There are no speed limitations for a glider
(non powered ultra light vehicle!) in Part 103 nor for regular
gliders.
OK Guys and Gals convince me - give me a single reason, just a
single rational reason to register a glider as a LSA despite the
multitude of reasons not to do so.
Dave

Old February 18th 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 18, 9:49 am, Marc Ramsey wrote:
wrote:
OK Guys and Gals convince me - give me a single reason, just a
single rational reason to register a glider as a LSA despite the
multitude of reasons not to do so.

I doubt very many Sparrowhawks are legal Part 103 ultralights, most are
quite simply over the weight limitation. Owners of "fat" ultralights
are being "encouraged" to recertify under LSA (though I believe there
was a grace period which may be over, by now). If you're willing to
take your chances on not getting a ramp check involving a scale, then
there probably is no reason to switch.

LSA certification does allow for the manufacture of a two seat training
glider that can be used commercially, without going through a
multi-million dollar certification process. And yes, the 10,000 foot
limitation goes away if the PIC has a private license...

Marc

Hi Marc
I do not disagree with what you are saying but you have not answered
my question which is why register say a single place glider as a LSA
glider instead instead of as a regular glider (experimental or
standard).
Except for the 2 place trainer which, as you point out, might make
sense what's the rationale for a single place glider?
Dave

Old February 18th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I missed that part of the thread.

Except for the 2 place trainer which, as you point out, might make
sense what's the rationale for a single place glider?

For most, none, for single place gliders that already meet the LSA
restrictions (1-26, K6, K8 come immediately to mind), owner maintenance
could be an advantage in some (very limited) circumstances. The only
real advantage would be with a US manufactured single place glider that
can't meet 103 restrictions, and can be made to meet the LSA
restrictions. The problem with a not quite 103 legal Sparrowhawk is
that the FAA does have rules on the book that restrict series
manufacture and sale of non-type certificated non-ultralight aircraft.
They've been looking the other way for a while (is anyone really
building a Lancair Evolution in their garage?), but they could easily
change their bureaucratic minds...

Marc
Old February 18th 08, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 18, 10:55*am, Marc Ramsey wrote:
... the FAA does have rules on the book that
restrict series manufacture and sale of non-
type certificated non-ultralight aircraft...

Cite? I keep hearing that, but I keep not seeing it. All those Zunis
got into the air somehow...

Thanks, Bob K.

life/accident insurance in Experimental category gliders Phillip LaBerge Soaring 5 January 22nd 08 05:32 PM
Experimental or not? John D. Abrahms Home Built 23 April 14th 05 01:45 AM
Experimental/Exhibition Juan Jimenez Home Built 14 January 1st 05 01:56 AM
Experimental? Hankal Piloting 3 July 5th 04 05:44 PM
Q about an experimental Me Military Aviation 2 June 12th 04 04:32 PM