Regulations covering Oxygen use

Old February 19th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott

Default Regulations covering Oxygen use

I am trying to find any regulations about Oxygen use, type of masks and/or
delivery allowed versus altitude, frequency of inspection of various parts
of the O2 system. I've spent several hours searching on the FAA website
with no luck beyond 91.211. Any help would be appreciated.

Also I need help in locating someone to service A-14 regulators.

Thanks,
John Scott

Old February 19th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Todd

Go here

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...4/14tab_02.tpl

and search for "oxygen" in Title 14. Part 23 has a number of
citations for supplemental oxygen flow rates and stuff like that.

Google "aviation oxygen". There a number of sites that only deal with
aviation O2 systems. One or more of them should be able to service
your regulator.
Old February 20th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

See FAR 91.211
and
http://www.dr-amy.com/rich/oxygen/

Tom
Idaho

Old February 20th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Feb 19, 2:20*pm, "John Scott" wrote:
I am trying to find any regulations about Oxygen use, type of masks and/or
delivery allowed versus altitude,

You don't say anything about your intended use. Unless you plan to go
above 18,000ft I suggest you forget the A14 and use a modern canula
system. I've had good experience both with oxymizer type canulas and
with pulse delivery systems.

Inspect whatever system you have before any flight you expect to use
it. The most important check is to ensure the bottle valve is turned
on unless it can be reached in flight.

If you really want a mask I have an usused Sierra mask with built in
mic I could sell you. Like I said, I use a canula. I've been high,
got cold, and don't need to do it again.

Andy
Old February 20th 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

John,

Also see:
http://www.c-f-c.com/supportdocs/abo4.htm

Old February 20th 08, 06:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbus

I am a fanatic about the A14 and A20 oxygen regulator....

You could service it at:

http://www.fluidpowerohio.com/oxygen.html

Best regards,
Bruno

Old February 20th 08, 11:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The Mountain High website (www.mhoxygen.com) has lots of information
and links. You can probably find what you need via the site.
They are extremely helpful too. If you call, I am sure they can
answer any question you have as well as recommend somewhere to service
the A-14 regulator.

Old February 20th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott

Thanks for the info. After posting the message I did find FAR 23 and
extracted the info there for airplanes.

We have Mountain High Constant Flow systems installed in parallel with our
A-14s. I have been in conversation with MH.

I continue to have little luck in getting specific documents on servicing
the A-14s. I have struck out on getting service on them. Several outfits
that use to do it, no longer do it. I'm still waiting to hear from Fluid
Power of Ohio.

Bottom line is we can fly to 30,000' with our MH systems and appropriate
masks.

John Scott

Old February 20th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The 2 relevant sections of the FARs are 91.211 and 23.1447.
Section 91 is contained in the 2008 FAR/AIM book whereas
you will have to Google section 23.
I think the interesting point from section 23 is that above 18,000
feet you must use a mouth and nose mask even if you are using
a cannular. I use the EDS system with a mask at very high
altitudes although MH has done testing to show that their EDS
system, if used correctly, will operate to 30,000 feet. However I
caution any of you who may be tempted to explore the wave
above 18,000 feet to attend a FAA decompression chamber
session to determine your response to high altitudes. I have
now done it twice and it is a real eye opener to see how some
people react to being decompressed to 25,000 feet.
Scary!
Section 91.211a begins " No person may operate a civil
aircraft of US registry-". This implies that, under Part 103
which relates to "ultralight vehicles", oxygen is not a legal
requirement for an ultralight. Crazy for 2008 although perhaps
reasonable for when the regs were composed many years
ago. Technology changes things so rapidly that it is hard
to anticipate all the future requirements. I have flown
paragliders to 16,000 feet without oxygen when I was
younger - perfectly legal and if I had lost consciousness
the pitch stable paraglider would have probably got me
down to an altitude where I would have woken up! I
don't do that any more but I know many that do.
I have already contacted the FAA and suggested that
they think through the use of oxygen for ultralights and
maybe one day they may get to it. Hypoxia really exists.
Dave

Old February 21st 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

-
wrote in message
The 2 relevant sections of the FARs are 91.211 and 23.1447.
Section 91 is contained in the 2008 FAR/AIM book whereas
you will have to Google section 23.

However I
caution any of you who may be tempted to explore the wave
above 18,000 feet to attend a FAA decompression chamber
session to determine your response to high altitudes. I have
now done it twice and it is a real eye opener to see how some
people react to being decompressed to 25,000 feet.
Scary!

Hypoxia really exists.
Dave

I'll second that and raise the ante. In the chamber you will find that you
are the last to realize that you are impaired. Unlike a couple of
Margaritas, you don't feel a thing, and don't have a clue.

A finger pulse oximeter is a great aid. Your ability to absorb the oxygen
can change, and the system calibration is pretty coarse. At 15,000 ft this
is not so critical, but if you intend to push the limit, you could go over
before you expect it. The meter is the best check on the function of the
whole system.

Hartley Falbaum
"KF" USA

Fabric Covering II [email protected] Home Built 1 February 18th 08 11:49 PM
covering Eliot Soaring 5 September 2nd 07 06:13 PM
Fabric covering Chris Wells Home Built 6 January 17th 07 07:36 PM
Trailer covering mat Redsell Home Built 3 December 3rd 05 03:11 AM
Questions on covering Ed Restoration 4 March 16th 04 06:18 PM