grumman aa-5 stall warning delay

Old January 5th 09, 11:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
H@mst3r

Default grumman aa-5 stall warning delay

Hi all

why does the grumman aa-5's stall warning have a delay of about 5
seconds? Is this normal or is there something wrong with the aircraft?

Thanks

H@mst3r
Old January 5th 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

H@mst3r wrote:
Hi all

why does the grumman aa-5's stall warning have a delay of about 5
seconds? Is this normal or is there something wrong with the aircraft?

Thanks

H@mst3r

My AA5B doesn't have any such delay nor have I ever seen a report of
such in all the info from the American Yankee Association.

During preflight, do you make sure the vane moves freely and isn't
gunked up?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 6th 09, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
H@mst3r

no, it moves freely and has just been rebuilt by our AMO.

Brand new case for someone to investigate
Old January 6th 09, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

H@mst3r wrote:
no, it moves freely and has just been rebuilt by our AMO.

Brand new case for someone to investigate

The stall warning on Grummans is a spring loaded vane screwed to a switch.

When the airflow where the vane is mounted starts flowing up, the
switch closes and the alarm sounds.

It is impossible for there to be a delay between the switch closing
and the alarm sounding.

That leaves either the vane being bent, positioned incorrectly or a
too stiff of a spring, thus requiring being deeper into the stall before
the switch closes.

I would question how the switch could be "rebuilt" locally as the switch
is proprietary and not generally available as a part.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 6th 09, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
vaughn

"H@mst3r" wrote in message
Hi all

why does the grumman aa-5's stall warning have a delay of about 5
seconds?

What? You have a stall warning that you can actually hear? Be thankful!

The rental Cessnas that I fly were all made before headsets were commonly
used. Add the attenuation of that headset to my natural "old man's" high
frequency hearing loss, and those crappy "penny whistle" stall alarms are
totally out of the picture for me.

No big loss, the plane has all kinds of ways to warn me of a stall.

How about other folks?

Vaughn

Old January 6th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Jan 5, 11:45*pm, wrote:
H@mst3r wrote:
no, it moves freely and has just been rebuilt by our AMO.

Brand new case for someone to investigate

The stall warning on Grummans is a spring loaded vane screwed to a switch..

When the airflow where the vane is mounted starts flowing up, the
switch closes and the alarm sounds.

It is impossible for there to be a delay between the switch closing
and the alarm sounding.

That leaves either the vane being bent, positioned incorrectly or a
too stiff of a spring, thus requiring being deeper into the stall before
the switch closes.

I would question how the switch could be "rebuilt" locally as the switch
is proprietary and not generally available as a part.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Most likely it's the buzzer. Some of those were a small
electromechanical horn, which uses a small coil, a diaphragm and a
switch on the diaphragm that opens the coil's supply when it's
displaced. The resulting oscillation makes lots of noise. When that
switch gets dirty, it might be a few seconds before the diaphragm gets
around to moving enough to start the oscillation. Probably need a new
horn. The other possibility is a bad connection somewhere in the
circuit, most likely the ground connection at the horn.

Dan
Old January 6th 09, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote:
On Jan 5, 11:45Â*pm, wrote:
H@mst3r wrote:
[...]

If it were a bad connection somewhere, it would likely not work at all.

This is easy to test:

1. Turn on master switch.

2. Press on vane with finger.

If the horn sounds, everything is electrically OK.

As to what the noise maker is, I would have to look in the maintenance
manual, which is at the hanger.

According to the AYA Maintenance Compendium, the switch in the assembly
is only available from the assembly manufacturer and can only be
"rebuilt" by the manufacturer, which leads me to believe if the assembly
was "rebuilt" locally, then a switch was used that happens to fit
mechanically but has the wrong spring tension, thus delaying switch
closure.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 6th 09, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jon Woellhaf

I know someone who told me about someone who repaired an intermittent
electrical stall horn by resoldering a cold connection. It's worked fine
ever since -- so I hear. g

Old January 7th 09, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

vaughn wrote:

How about other folks?

The electric stall horns on all the Warriors I trained in, my Sundowner,
and the C182 I just bought, work great and are easily heard. This is
true even through headsets and at higher power settings during departure
stalls and dirty slow flight.

I've recorded video in the Sundowner and the horn is easily heard on the
recordings.
Old January 8th 09, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Are the Warriors different from the Archers? My 74 has a light but no horn.
Perhaps the Warrior wing gives a more abrupt stall? My constant chord wing
gives plenty of warning without a horn.

--
Best Regards,
Mike.