In Flight Emergency

Old March 16th 15, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

Default In Flight Emergency

At about 800ft I lost a cylinder bolt and the case cracked at about 1:30 on this video.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=972894796062971

Boggs
Old March 16th 15, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Monday, March 16, 2015 at 10:29:19 AM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
At about 800ft I lost a cylinder bolt and the case cracked at about 1:30 on this video.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=972894796062971

Boggs

Good job, glad it came down safe.
Waiting for UncleHank and a couple others to reply, our club had a rash of bad cylinders a number of years ago.
Old March 16th 15, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Nicely done - both pilots!

Was the tow pilot aware of the problem before the glider pilot called?
Did he get a cockpit full of smoke or did all of it stay outside and
invisible to the tuggie? Did he keep the engine running throughout the
landing?

--
Dan Marotta

Old March 16th 15, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 3:29:19 AM UTC+13, Waveguru wrote:
At about 800ft I lost a cylinder bolt and the case cracked at about 1:30 on this video.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=972894796062971

Turf doesn't look much different to how it was in March 1994 when I visited and hired 274KS for six flights!
Old March 16th 15, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Well done folks! Did the towplane engin fail or run to landing?
Old March 16th 15, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

No chute? Not required?

Old March 17th 15, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

On 03/16/2015 6:57 PM, wrote:
No chute? Not required?

Not required in USA or Canada by law. Parachutes required in
competitions by the rules.

Old March 17th 15, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

What do you need a chute for? Most tow pilots are also glider pilots
and fully capable of landing an airplane without the engine running. It
would be pretty weak to jump out of a perfectly good airplane just
because the engine stopped which, in this case, it didn't until the
pilot shut it down.

Old March 17th 15, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

In some countries parachutes are mandatory in gliders (for instance
Poland where the OP is from). In North America they are not mandatory.
Most private owners, at least those I am exposed to, choose to wear
one. Most pilots flying club single seaters at my club wear one. Most
instructional flights are done done with out parachutes. Acrobatic
flights as well as standard spin training is done with parachutes.

Luke

Old March 17th 15, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Yes, and I wear a chute when I fly my glider, but not when I'm giving
rides in a Grob, Blanik, 2-33, or Lark. Neither do I wear a parachute
when flying the tug and I've had four engine failures while flying tow
planes, in none of which would I have considered bailing out.

Does Poland really require parachutes in gliders? Are passengers with
no training required to wear a parachute? I wonder about the outcome if
one of them should attempt to jump.

First emergency EventHorizon Owning 14 February 3rd 10 05:40 PM
Emergency Procedures Mitty Instrument Flight Rules 30 July 18th 06 03:25 PM
Emergency Dan Luke Piloting 57 April 12th 06 02:01 PM
JetBlue Flight Approaches For Emergency Landing At LAX Larry Dighera Piloting 5 September 23rd 05 05:01 AM
Not an emergency??? William W. Plummer Instrument Flight Rules 14 December 26th 03 06:28 AM