bio-diesel hybrid future

Old August 28th 05, 01:17 PM
Steve Spence

Default bio-diesel hybrid future

heh, you would think so. not the case with the dd 2-71 .......

Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust, http://www.green-trust.org
Contributing Editor, http://www.off-grid.net
http://www.rebelwolf.com/essn.html

Herb wrote:

Almost forgot to mention that two strokes apparently don't vibrate as
much since they have a power stroke each revolution of the crank.

Herb

Old August 28th 05, 01:55 PM
Herb

Steve Spence wrote:

heh, you would think so. not the case with the dd 2-71 .......

Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust, http://www.green-trust.org
Contributing Editor, http://www.off-grid.net
http://www.rebelwolf.com/essn.html

You've definitely got the experience there. The only two stroke
experience I have (diesel anyway) is the 6 and 12 cylinder
Fairbanks-Morse 38ND8-1/8's we had on the boats (submarines) I sailed
on. When they were running, who cared if they vibrated, they were so
loud you could barely think. They were two stroke, opposed piston (2
pistons in each cylinder) huge fuel oil beasts. They were as reliable
as a stone though, which is good for an emergency generator.

Herb
Old August 28th 05, 08:14 PM
Matt Whiting

Steve Spence wrote:
I wonder why Bob thinks solar panels take land out of production? Maybe
he never heard of roofs?

Roofs aren't adequate in most situations. They are OK for single level
homes in the southern lattitudes. They won't suffice for a high-rise
building or even a two or three story structure in the northern lattitudes.

Matt
Old August 29th 05, 05:21 AM
Anthony Matonak

Matt Whiting wrote:
Steve Spence wrote:

I wonder why Bob thinks solar panels take land out of production?
Maybe he never heard of roofs?

Roofs aren't adequate in most situations. They are OK for single level
homes in the southern lattitudes. They won't suffice for a high-rise
building or even a two or three story structure in the northern lattitudes.

Perhaps parking lots, roads, railroad right of ways, deserts and
the occasional orbital platform could fill in for those places
that don't have enough roof space.

Anthony
Old August 29th 05, 08:18 PM
Andre

"Rod" wrote in message
Right on, Bob. It has been said that the energy required to produce a

solar
cell is greater than the energy it is likely to produce in its life.
Bummer.

A similar argument can be made about bio-fuels. The energy required to
plant, cultivate, harvest and distil is greater than the resulting energy
produced.

Rod

The one problem with this statement is that it is usually based on existing
technology. If the tractors, trucks, etc. used to plant, cultivate and
harvest the fuel were to use bio-diesel instead of regular diesel then the
use of petrolium based fuel for production of bio-diesel would go down.

Also, depending on the type of crop harvested might have something to do
with it as was mentioned earlier.

A third aspect is that we can reuse oil used for something else. For
example, vegetable oil used for cooking can be resued, so it serves double
duty. The waste solids can still be used for soap so serving triple duty.

Andre