Private Pilot Uniforms

Old November 25th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Frank[_11_]

Default Private Pilot Uniforms

I am anticipating getting my private certificate in the not-too-distant future. I know this may sound like a real dorky thing to some people, which is why I am reluctant to ask my instructor, but I was thinking about getting a uniform.

I do not want to do anything against any "protocol", nor would I want to offend any career pilots or military personnel. Accordingly, I want to pose the questions for everyone here.

Is it permissible for a private pilot to wear a shirt and/or jacket that epaulettes with 4 gold stripes? I believe that gold is for "officers" (such as the captain of the plane) and 4 stripes signify the pilot (3 are for crew). Is this correct?

Also, is it ok to wear a pilot cap with generic gold wings to match the epaulettes?

Although this may sound a little quirky to some, I am interested in displaying how VERY proud I am, but I don't want to offend.
Old November 25th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:26:21 -0500, "Frank" wrote:

I am anticipating getting my private certificate in the not-too-distant future. I know this may sound like a real dorky thing to some people, which is why I am reluctant to ask my instructor, but I was thinking about getting a uniform.

I do not want to do anything against any "protocol", nor would I want to offend any career pilots or military personnel. Accordingly, I want to pose the questions for everyone here.

Is it permissible for a private pilot to wear a shirt and/or jacket that epaulettes with 4 gold stripes? I believe that gold is for "officers" (such as the captain of the plane) and 4 stripes signify the pilot (3 are for crew). Is this correct?

Couple of friends of mine flew around in the world in a Super Cub, and say that
in some areas of the world, you won't be recognized as a pilot unless you are
wearing something that looks like an airline uniform. So they wore the shirts
with the epaulets, etc.

Anywhere but the third world, you're going to be looked at as stark raving
bonkers if you wear a uniform while acting as a private pilot.

Best compromise is a leather flight jacket.

Ron Wanttaja
Old November 25th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Drew Dalgleish

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 14:01:55 -0800, Ron Wanttaja
wrote:

[...]

and blue coveralls with lots of pockets, Maybe some wings sewn over
your heart. When you buy a plane get a warbird or something painted
with military colours then you can wear military style clothing
without being laughed at too much.

I see many pilots with a sort of uniform thay usually includes a
photograpers vest but no epaulets. I almost always wear shorts and
tevas when my planes on floats just in case I have to wade through
some muck to get to shore.
Old November 25th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 16:26:21 -0500, "Frank" wrote:

I am anticipating getting my private certificate in the not-too-distant future. I know this may sound like a real dorky thing to some people, which is why I am reluctant to ask my instructor, but I was thinking about getting a uniform.

If you really want to, Sportys.com sells shirts and bars.

As a PP, it's your airplane, and you can wear whatever you want.

Old November 25th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y

wrote:

Anywhere but the third world, you're going to be looked at as stark raving
bonkers if you wear a uniform while acting as a private pilot.

Unless your last name is Travolta. G
Old November 26th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

For a few years, I had a wonderful gig as a Commercial glider rides pilot/CFIG. I always thought it would be a gas to do the shirt, tie, & epaulettes thing, but I never had the nerve. What I actually wore (almost always) was cargo pants and a pocket-T shirt that advertised my employer. The cargo pockets were great because I could actually reach in them when I was strapped in. They were used for radio, snacks, sunblock lotion, and sometimes GPS. The pocket-T was important because it gave me a dedicated place to keep my sunglasses, something I consider a "safety of flight" item.

Vaughn

Old November 26th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Wanttaja

wrote:

Anywhere but the third world, you're going to be looked at as stark raving
bonkers if you wear a uniform while acting as a private pilot.

Unless your last name is Travolta. G

Well, geeze, that applies to nearly everything, don't it? :-)

Ron Wanttaja
Old November 26th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Nov 25, 4:26 pm, "Frank" wrote:
[...]

Who CARES what others think! : Do THEY pay the rent on the
aircraft?? Do THEY PAY your house payment?

SCREW THEM!

YOU are the PIC the Captain , the Master of your ship (Aircraft) .
So go ahead and get the uniform and ENJOY!!!! you only live ONCE!!!

I HATE to see SLOUCHES in shorts, tee shirts: getting out of an
airplane in a busy PUBLIC FBO ! looking like they slept under a
bridge, the 'DUI' look Unshaved! a blight on general aviation!

PERCEPTION is EVERYTHING!

The non flying PUBLIC see this DUI 'dirt bag' : SLOUCH, Bar hopping
look and
think this is how they FLY and conduct themselves! The Enemies of
General Aviation , Airlines et-al have converts to RESTRICT General
aviation!

We should look Professional when we Exit an airplane
Old November 26th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
[...]

That isn't a compromise. That is what REAL pilots wear! :-)
(Air)Bus drivers wear a uniform...

Matt
Old November 26th 07, 09:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

We should look Professional when we Exit an airplane

We could start excuding professionalism by shouting less, don't you
think?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)