Which PDA ?

Old May 8th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo

Default Which PDA ?

I am thinking of upgrading my PDA for my GNII.
The display should be readable in sun light. Presently I use a1550 as
primary with a 302 and the 39xx as a back up with a 302A. Maybe I
should get a CAI Nav display and one good PDA. Which one? Please make
recomendations.
Udo
Old May 8th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On May 7, 4:53*pm, Udo wrote:
I am thinking of upgrading my PDA for my GNII.
The display should be readable in sun light. Presently I use a1550 as
primary with a 302 and the 39xx as a back up with a 302A. Maybe I
should get a CAI Nav display and one good PDA. Which one? Please make
recomendations.
Udo

Udo -

This is not the answer you're looking for, but in my experience
people's opinion/reaction to various PDA displays is a HIGHLY
subjective thing.

If you can, try to find a few different PDAs being used by local
pilots and check them out (in the sunlight or under a glider canopy).
Check them with the backlight turned on and turned off. Different
PDAs do better with different brightness and backlight settings (and
backlighting can severely impact the battery life or run-time).

Also note the viewing angles that work with a given PDA. Gooseneck-
type mounts make this far easier to deal with than a knee-strap or
hard-mounting to the instrument panel.

Good luck!

--Noel
(Who uses an HP iPAQ hx4700 hooked up to an ewMicroRecorder, with the
backlight turned off in sunlight and running XCSoar)

Old May 8th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Udo,

"readable in sun light" pretty much eliminates all PDAs. If you've got
the coin you should look at the NK Clear Nav, but you probably already
knew that.

GNII ran nicely, and more visibly than other products, on my hx4705.

~ted/2NO
Old May 8th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Todd

I have (2) PDA's (fault tolerance / redundancy)

An hx4700 running WinPilot I hate because I cannot see it in bright
light.

The other is an older color ipaq 3635 running GNII that is pretty
readable (acceptable but not great) in bright light.

I did some evaluation of some PDA based units by Symbol Technologies
several years ago for a customer who uses them for on street parking
enforcement (parking tickets for expired meters). They were
ruggedized and very readable. I was trying to "borrow" one to
reprogram to try in the glider but the vendor was not very cooperative.
Old May 8th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Udo,

The best PDA available is the 1550. You can probably still find a good one
if you keep checking ebay every day for a week or 2.

I fly with an iPAQ hx4700 but I'm moving to an iPAQ 210. It doesn't have a
built in serial port so I have worked out a good solution with a CF card
serial port and a customer Nimbus cradle. The 210 seems a bit brighter than
my hx4700 indoors, but that may be due to the backlight in the hx4700
getting dimmer over the 2 to 3 years I've had it. It is similar to the
hx4700 (maybe a little better) in sunlight.

Of course, the ClearNav is the best option. It is very readable in
sunlight. I have about 20 customers lined up to buy them - mainly for that
reason. I'm excited because I have been contracted to write the manual for
it. It is a great product that will be very popular. Let me know if you
want to get onto my waiting list.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Old May 8th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Paul, does the ClearNav have an LED backlight screen?

From my research, a screen brightness of 1000 Nits is required for a fully
"sunlight readable" screen. Most PDA's and laptops have about 200 nits. To
get 1000 Nits with a CCL backlight, requires more current that can
reasonably be provided in a battery operated device.

LED backlights seem to be much brighter and use less power than CCL
backlights.

Bill D

Old May 8th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On May 7, 7:31*pm, Todd wrote:
I have (2) PDA's (fault tolerance / redundancy)

An hx4700 running WinPilot I hate because I cannot see it in bright
light.

Todd - Just a tip: I was surprised to find that if I disabled the
backlight my hx4700 suddenly became easier to read in bright sunlight
(but almost impossible to read in the shade or indoors). Not "easy",
but easier. You might give it a try...

Take care,

--Noel
Old May 8th 08, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Henryk Birecki

Udo,

I concur with Noel. It is subjective. The PDA's I like are Aero1550
(like yours) and iPaq 3850. The latter is somewhat more "modern" than
3660, but still has a reflective display. I find it quite visible in
sunlight (better than any other color PDA I've seen). I have not seen
ClearNav, but all other LED based TRANSMISSIVE displays I've looked
at, were pretty much invisible in full sunlight.

What I'd like to know is what is current draw of ClearNav at full
brightness (I'll assume visibility)?

Cheers,
Henryk Birecki

Old May 8th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Bill,

I'm not sure what type of backlight is used but I've sent an e-mail to NK to
ask. I also asked what the current draw of the ClearNav is.

Of course the current draw is going to be somewhat high, but that is to be
expected. It is the price you pay for a sunlight readable display. If I
remember correctly, at the SSA Convention someone (Chip Garner I believe)
said it will draw about 400 mA at minimum brightness (still quite bright)
and 700 mA at full brightness. I believe my iPAQ hx4700 and iPAQ 210 draw
about 400 mA when full charged, with the backlight on full power. I imagine
that pilots with transponders, radios and ClearNavs will need to go to a
larger battery then they have used in the past. But everyone that has seen
a ClearNav in bright sunlight says it is very, very nice - worth the price
and the current draw.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in message
. ..
Paul, does the ClearNav have an LED backlight screen?

From my research, a screen brightness of 1000 Nits is required for a fully

Old May 8th 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Noel,

I'm very surprised to hear that. My experience is that even if that works
with the sun shining directly on the screen, it won't work when the sun is
in front of the glider (not shining on the screen). I always have my
backlight on full power. But I'll try turning it off today. I'm very
curious.

Paul Remde