Dawley Aviation PIREP, or: Atlas is BACK

Old January 4th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Dawley Aviation PIREP, or: Atlas is BACK

"Peter R." wrote in message
Matt Barrow wrote:

it has to be done quickly, like 3-4 seconds ("The
Big Pull" as Deakin describes it).

When flying with an engine equipped with their turbo-normalization system,
Tornado Alley recommends the pull from full rich to LOP take about 6
seconds.

NO MORE THAN six seconds.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old January 4th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Allen" wrote in message

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"A. Smith" wrote in message
om...

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

I think the point is that it is the temperatue seen by the exhaust pipe
that matters, not whether it is LOP or ROP. And the temps mentioned by
Mr. Dawley sound more like runnint at peak, rather than either side.
People seem to automatically blame running on the lead side and that
simply isn't supported by the data. It is an old wives tale pure and
simple.

Matt

Which is my point, people think they know how to run LOP but actually
are running at peak, causing damage. The guy at Dawley didn't say
running LOP did the damage, just that when the LOP operation began being
pushed is when the damage started showing up.

That's a nice stretch of the original quote....and I've heard of
mechanics finding all sorts of damages from running LOP when the engine
was not run LOP at all. It's been a favorite excuse for years.

Remember that for YEARS, the favorite leaning technique was to lean to
peak, then enrich slightly (which would put temps at about 50ROP, the
"Red Box"

Red Box = No Fly Zone
At and below about 60% power, there is no red box.
At about 65% power or so, 100ºF ROP to Peak.
At about 70%, 125ºF ROP to 25ºF LOP.
At about 75%, 180ºF ROP to 40ºF LOP.
At about 80%, 200ºF ROP to 60ºF LOP

Which orifice did you pull these numbers from?

Not that anal cavity in your head, that's for sure.

Before you stick your foot into it even deeper, read this and pay
particular attention to the charts and graphs:
http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182084-1.html

Don't worry about the text so much as the graphical data.

Do you even bother to read what you cite? Look at the gauges in the
aircraft panel in the article you quote. The LH EGT shows 1595 degrees
and the RH shows 1585 degrees. Both seem pretty near the 1600 degrees
that softens stainless. Why do they use these particular power settings?
To manipulate the data in their favor.

Did you even read (comprehend) the material?

Get your head out of your orifice and quit pretending to comprehend that
data.

If there's a reason people can't handle LOP leaning, it's because they have
a similar level of competence as Allen.

Old January 4th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

("Matt Barrow" wrote)
Did you even read (comprehend) the material?

Get your head out of your orifice and quit pretending to comprehend that
data.

Can you comprehend why people trim their posts?

The orifice thing, too :-)

Montblack
Old January 4th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
Jon Kraus wrote:
If you only paid .62 AMU for your exhaust system rebuild then you got a
great deal!! Was this for a complete system or just the muffler and a
couple of pipes? We had to have our exhaust completely rebuilt last
annual (OI-360) from Dawley, but it cost us 1.8 AMU's. That was
replacing everything including one pipe that they couldn't "rebuild" and
we had to buy new from Mooney. The 1.8 AMU's we paid also included the
20% rip-off, er markup that our shop charges for the privilege of
letting them order parts for us. So in reality our system should have
cost 1.5 AMU's if we would have dealt with Dawley directly (which we
will from here on out), so if you go a complete system for .62 AMU then
my hat is off to you for procuring such a good deal!!

I had my exhaust system replaced by Dawley a couple months ago. It was
around $1.5k including installation. All four standpipes were
overhauled (to replace ends) and two new mufflers were provided. The
shop who did the work extracted a premium also, but shipping was about
$200 for 2-day both ways.

However, I'm glad that I had the work done. Muffler was still intact,
though worn, but the standpipes were leaking badly at the slip joints
with the muffler. Dawley did an outstanding job at reworking the pipes,
and they did the work same-day.

JKG