OT Dr. Strangelove

Old October 5th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default OT Dr. Strangelove

I have just watched Dr. Strangelove (again) and have always wondered if
the Slim Pickens quote "I will get them doors open if it harelips
everybody on Bear Creek!" has any meaning other than the dialog. Any
ideas?

Regards,
Jerry

Old October 5th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

wrote:

I have just watched Dr. Strangelove (again) and have always wondered if
the Slim Pickens quote "I will get them doors open if it harelips
everybody on Bear Creek!" has any meaning other than the dialog. Any
ideas?

Variations of this expression were common in Texas when I was growing up.

"I'm gonna go fishing Saturday if it harelips every cow in King County!"

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old October 5th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"cjcampbell" wrote:

Slim Pickens is saying
that he will get those doors open even if it changes nothing.

That's not what it means--almost the opposite, in fact.

He is saying that he's going to get the doors open and he doesn't give a
damn about the conseqences, no matter what they are.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old October 5th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
houstondan

that's exactly the way i always heard it." i don't care if it hairlips
the (major religious figure in pointy hat)". actually, you can track a
corollary in the "tweety-bird" cartoons wherein he chose to do whatever
(probably involving large un-smart cat) even though the outcome would
be unplesant(specifically; a whippin!).

dan..ok, i'll go back to my book now.