Std Cirrus: Blue or Gray trim color ONLY!...why?

Old September 6th 10, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Default Std Cirrus: Blue or Gray trim color ONLY!...why?

On Sep 5, 9:22*pm, GARY BOGGS wrote:
Haven't test by the military shown that anything other than all white
less visable?

Boggs

On Sep 5, 5:31*am, Scott Alexander
wrote:

After the multiple mid-airs we have had this year, I am wanting to add
some high-vis trim colors on the nose, wingtips and rudder. *How would
I go about getting approval for a high visibility color that isn't
blue or gray? *Or maybe there's a high visibility blue out there I can
use.

I think I heard that in Sweden that ALL sailplanes are required to
have "high visibility" wing tips, nose and tail. I know that several
imports from Sweden did come with such markings.

You might check with the manufacturer about how they meet the Sweden
requirements

Mike
Old September 6th 10, 09:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Salmon[_2_]

At 05:16 06 September 2010, SoaringXCellence wrote:
On Sep 5, 9:22=A0pm, GARY BOGGS wrote:
Haven't test by the military shown that anything other than all white
less visable?

Boggs

On Sep 5, 5:31=A0am, Scott Alexander
wrote:

After the multiple mid-airs we have had this year, I am wanting to

add
some high-vis trim colors on the nose, wingtips and rudder. =A0How

woul=
I go about getting approval for a high visibility color that isn't
blue or gray? =A0Or maybe there's a high visibility blue out there

ca=
use.

I think I heard that in Sweden that ALL sailplanes are required to
have "high visibility" wing tips, nose and tail. I know that several
imports from Sweden did come with such markings.

You might check with the manufacturer about how they meet the Sweden
requirements

Mike

Quite a long time ago, the BGA did some controlled tests re visibility
markings. I can't remember the details, but I am fairly certain that the
findings were that conspicuity patches etc did nothing to improve seeing
gliders in the air.
Dave

Old September 6th 10, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

I seem to remember that to be any use the patches must be big and a
single colour - small patches and/or multicoloured ones are quite good
camouflage.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 7th 10, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Sep 5, 4:24*am, Scott Alexander
wrote:
My contest ID is "medium gray" and I was told he would "let it slide
this year".......OK!!! Whatever!!

How does either of you know it is "medium" gray? Get samples of a
very dark gray and another gray half way between that dark gray and
the one on your glider. You will find that your gray is the "light"
gray in that group of 3.

If you are really concerned that the shade is a structural issue I'd
suggest determining the RAL color equivalent and asking SH if it is
ok.

http://www.ralcolor.com/

Andy
Old September 8th 10, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Gilbert[_2_]

wrote:

After the multiple mid-airs we have had this year, I am wanting to add
some high-vis trim colors on the nose, wingtips and rudder. *How would
I go about getting approval for a high visibility color that isn't
blue or gray? *Or maybe there's a high visibility blue out there I can
use.

I think I heard that in Sweden that ALL sailplanes are required to
have "high visibility" wing tips, nose and tail. *I know that several
imports from Sweden did come with such markings.

You might check with the manufacturer about how they meet the Sweden
requirements

Mike

My understanding is that the hi-vis markings are for landing out in
snow. In the air, the darker tips tend to decrease visible span.
John
Old September 10th 10, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
8A

This restriction is definatly due to temperature issues (glass
transition temperature) with room temperature cure epoxy. This issue
is very real. I can show you damage on the wing of 8A where a
previous owner left a dark object. As for colored markings -
reference TN 278-4 But you will need to read German.

There has been considerable testing by the aircraft industry on this
subject.

H.L.C.
Test Engineer Beech / Raytheon Aircraft, NIAR