7" Silentflight computer coming soon

Old September 12th 10, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default 7" Silentflight computer coming soon

On 9/12/2010 9:36 AM, wrote:
Yea I know its blatant spam but everyone else does it.

initial Pic's here..
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...17785&v=photos

Will be flying with it today...

I tried to find a place for a 7" display in my glider and it's hopeless.
The 6" ClearNav just barely fits; a 5" Oudie shape is near perfect.
Personally, brighter is better than bigger. A 6" display as bright as
the ClearNav but with a case only 1/8" or so wider than the display
would be almost perfect.

Looking forward to pictures of the unit in flight.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Old September 13th 10, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

Most PNA are perfectly readable under direct sunlight, with no reflections.
We just discovered that, using polarized sunglasses, and inverting either
polarization on sunglasses by 90 degrees, or simply turning 90 degrees the
screen (physically, meaning rotate the device) the screen becomes bright and
clear.
There's more about this.
We discovered that the polarization "effect" has different levels, peculiar
to each device.
For example, some SkyWay car navigators are very good with polarized
sunglasses in landscape mode.
Yesterday I have tested a MIO M400 PNA (a Nilox really), very cheap, 4.3
inches 480x272, and for the first time in 4 years I was able to perfectly
read the screen under sunlight during the flight (4 hours).
So price is not an issue for sunlight readability, on PNAs. It's all a
matter of testing, and test again with polarized sunglasses.
During the winter we shall dig into these matters, because not all
sunglasses behave the same with these PNAs.

In order to get to these conclusions, I have bought several PNAs (MIO,
NILOX, HP, NAVIGON, etc.) and did some tests for the LK8000 usability.
I think that a 4.3 inches device (that comes with a real RS232 and-or
bluetooth) costing around 100 dollars (like a MIO) or its chinese equivalent
will be widely used and appreciated in the next season.

"Richard" ha scritto nel messaggio
On Sep 13, 12:20 am, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

I have tried the 7" chinese PDA it is worse than the 5" version. In
the sun viewabily is distroyed by glare and reflection. In general
anything with a touch overlay is not good in the sun. In the sun the
unit is very dim and extremely hard to distingusih even what software
you are running. Out of the sun it is great and runs both SeeYouMoble
PNA & WinPilot PNA. Of course I am comparing to the Ultimate which is
not effected by the sun but costs much more. You do not need to fly
with the unit to test in the sun just go out and place in the sun.

Sunlight readabilty depends on the lack of a touch overlay, the
contrast ratio, and the coatings on the display. The backlight
brightness does not have much effect on the sunlight readability.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old September 13th 10, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

On Sep 13, 8:33*am, "PCool" wrote:
The MIO M400 does not need polarized sunglasses. I'll post some pictures of
it under sunlight side by side with HX4700, HP314, MIO500, SkyWay etc.etc
and let you judge (I need some sun, it is raining right now here, call it
summer).
Flying with classic RayBan yesterday for the first time in 4 years I could
perfectly read the display, like reading the Zander LCD.

I have no idea why the 400, which is a 62euro+VAT device, with RS232
(external adaptor needed, the same of 314) has a good screen.
But I understood that the assumption "all screens are equal" is not true.
Not since yesterday.
Before takeoff, I was about to plug the HP314. Then I switched on the Mio
400, and I couldn't believe my eyes.
But I thought it was kind of illusion, so I didn't even plug it to the power
supply and took off with only internal battery.
It lasted for two and a half hours, and it was a pleasure with my sunglasses
to be able to read the screen as it never happened to me so far.

On ground, I tested devices with polarized sunglasses because a friend
discovered that it was making a big difference.
I was told that polarized sunglasses sometimes make the LCD display black
unreadable. Well, you have to try yourself rotating a PNA device and all of
a sudden see a bright readable display. I am not talking of the Mio 400 now,
but for example of a SkyWay.
With a NILOX 100, no difference rotating the screen.

Then, don't get me wrong, clearly these "cheap" PNAs need some work to be
unlocked, some know how, the software for gliding, installation etc. and
that doesn't come for free , as Naviter has shown.

p.s.
no customers, because LK8000 is free of charge, and that is becoming a
problem for many people right now.

Richardwww.craggyaero.com-Hide quoted text -

So does this mean that you have to have special polizarized sunglass
and have the screen at a certain angle to see in the sun?
How do you explain and sell this to your customer? *Tell them you need
to buy new prescriptions sunglasses to use this equipment and only use
it in certain orientations.

Richardwww.craggyaero.com

Polarized glasses do make a difference with the PDA and PNA I use.
My backup Mio 320 was not really visable in the sun until I used
Polarized glasses. I am currently using a Hx4700 and polarized glasses
also reduce the glare on that screen.

Mike "0"

Sunlit images of Silentflight Glide Computer next to IPAQ3850 [email protected] Soaring 22 June 1st 10 01:36 PM
$150 10" display glide computer... [email protected] Soaring 9 September 21st 09 09:16 AM
What is the "Integrator" number as displayed on a computer/vario system representing? John Bojack[_2_] Soaring 1 January 3rd 09 09:39 AM
Old Silentflight videos now on Youtube [email protected] Soaring 0 January 1st 08 12:18 AM
Saturday 072807 in Oshkosh Pt 2 - the C17 [03/14] - "03 C17 just off 36 and beginning bank, gear coming up.jpg" yEnc (1/1) Just Plane Noise[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 July 30th 07 10:48 PM