USB Cable type for Cambridge 302 Flight Recorder

Old August 28th 10, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Canav8

Default USB Cable type for Cambridge 302 Flight Recorder

I recently upgraded a 302A flight recorder at Cambridge. It has the
USB port installed. I am now trying to use my laptop to download the
data. Jeff over at Cambridge did not say what type of USB cable was
necessary to download the files but there are different types of USB
cables. I have a USB to USB for windows to transfer files from one
laptop to another but I am having difficulty with the flight recorder
connecting to the laptop. I have already tried to change the port
numbers as suggested in other threads. Thanks for any replies. Doug
Old August 28th 10, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 28, 8:33*am, Canav8 wrote:
I recently upgraded a 302A flight recorder at Cambridge. It has the
USB port installed. I am now trying to use my laptop to download the
data. Jeff over at Cambridge did not say what type of USB cable was
necessary to download the files but there are different types of USB
cables. I have a USB to USB for windows to transfer files from one
laptop to another but I am having difficulty with the flight recorder
connecting to the laptop. I have already tried to change the port
numbers as suggested in other threads. Thanks for any replies. Doug

Call Cambridge. And while at it ask them why they put a USB "A"
receptacle on a USB slave device. How hard would it have been to put a
proper USB B or mini-B connector and just let this work with standard
USB cables?

Darryl
Old August 28th 10, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

At 15:33 28 August 2010, Canav8 wrote:
I recently upgraded a 302A flight recorder at Cambridge. It has

the
USB port installed. I am now trying to use my laptop to download

the
data. Jeff over at Cambridge did not say what type of USB cable

was
necessary to download the files but there are different types of

USB
cables. I have a USB to USB for windows to transfer files from

one
laptop to another but I am having difficulty with the flight recorder
connecting to the laptop. I have already tried to change the port
numbers as suggested in other threads. Thanks for any replies.

Doug

By chance, earlier today, I mentioned to a computer literate friend
that I could not get my 302A USB to connect to any PC computer.
When I try it the mouse pointer just jumps about all over the place.
He suggested that I should disable Windows Intellimouse because it
sounds as if the the PC is thinking that the 302A is a mouse. I
have not had a chance to try this yet.

John Galloway

Old August 28th 10, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Canav8

Has anyone been successful downloading from the CAI 302 to a laptop?
With the USB port? can anyone supply instructions. I know its the
weekend. I should be flying but its to windy today. Thanks.

Old August 28th 10, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Canav8

On Aug 28, 9:09*am, John Galloway wrote:
At 15:33 28 August 2010, Canav8 wrote:I recently upgraded a 302A flight recorder at Cambridge. It has
[...]

John, that will probably do it. I am using a laptop that does not have
a USB mouse.
Old August 28th 10, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

[...]

Actually that likely is not the primary issue here, since I suspect
you are just using the wrong USB cable.

Does Cambridge not provide any documentation? Do they not provide a
cable? Especially since they make what looks like a weird type A
receptacle choice.

Judging by the number of problems I see people having with this
adapter, I'd not waste my time upgrading an existing C302 to get this.

Oh alright, since you seem eager,...

AFAIK the USB port in the C302 is just a generic USB to serial
adapter. The slide switch just connects the internal serial port to
the serial side of the USB adapter or to the "classic" DB-9 serial
connector. So the C302 adapter really has no benefit over an external
USB to serial adapter, so if you have one of those that already works
just use it. I like the Kesypan USA-19HS and have good results using
it with both Windows XP and recent Mac OS/X platforms. And buying this
adapter is probably several times cheaper than upgrading a C302 to add
the USB port.

As a slave device the C302 internal USB to serial adapter should have
a type -B connector and then any cable would work. But for some
unexplained reason Cambridge put an A- receptacle on the C302.

If you have a USB type A to USB type A cable that you use to network
between two PCs/laptops (aka a "peer-to-peer", "host-to-host", or "USB-
networking" cable) then it will have active electronics in it to
interface between two USB host devices. That would be the wrong type
of cable here, since you are connecting a USB-host and a USB-slave.

What you need here is plain USB type A male-plug to USB type A male-
plug cable, the type with no active electronics. These cables are
available but not all that common. You can also find USB type B
receptacle to type A plug adapters that you can plug onto the type B
(square end) of a conventional USB Type A to type B cable. However
don't go plugging two computers (USB hosts) together with these
cables, there is a slight chance of damage.

--

Once you have this working can you use the device manager in Windows
and give me some information on the chipset in the C302. Go to the

Darryl
Old August 28th 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

With my latest 302, a USB cable (type A to A) was provided. I am not
at home to meter it to see if it's a turn-around ("null modem" or
"crossover") type. I tried to use it once and failed, couldn't be
bothered. Use requires removing the glider's canopy, switching the 302
port from serial to USB, and connecting the USB cable. Much easier to
continue transfers with the serial cable to the PDA.
Jim
Old August 28th 10, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 28, 1:56*pm, JS wrote:
With my latest 302, a USB cable (type A to A) was provided. I am not
at home to meter it to see if it's a turn-around ("null modem" or
"crossover") type. I tried to use it once and failed, couldn't be
bothered. Use requires removing the glider's canopy, switching the 302
port from serial to USB, and connecting the USB cable. Much easier to
continue transfers with the serial cable to the PDA.
Jim

Jim

It is a common point of confusion but there is no such thing as a
"null modem" or "crossover" USB cable (but I've seen people refer to
the USB host-host adapter cables with active electronics in them as
"crossover" cables). USB uses a differential signaled bus. There is
no separate transmit/receive wires to "cross over" as the data travels
both directions on "the wire". There is the + and - side of the
differential data wires--but you do not want to cross those over!
There are also ground and bus power wires and normally that's all.

The problem is whether a USB host or USB client device is plugged into
each end of a bus link. You need one USB host on a bus. The
conventional A and B style cabling plug were designed to make it all
"just work". Cambridge mess that up here, for what reason I know not.

Darryl
Old August 30th 10, 08:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
P9

Yes, most likely, Windows will "think" that your 302 is a mouse. This
is a bug called Crazy Mouse Syndrome.

Boot the computer with the 302 on and connected. The curser will be
jumping all over and all sorts of weird stuff will be happening.
Switch off the USB port. The computer will settle down.
Select Control Panel - System-Hardware-Device Manager
Click on the + next to Mice and other pointing devices
Click on "Microsoft Serial Ball Point" (what Windows "thinks" your
302 is)
Select "Actions" and then "Disable"
Close all windows
Reboot with the 302 connected
This worked for me - good luck. (This was written up from notes I made
a couple of years ago when I had the USB mod done. Hopefully, I took
good notes....)

Yes, you can use a USB to serial adapter rather than springing for the
USB mod to the 302. After 3 laptops, 4 USB to serial adapters, and
one PCMCIA to serial adapter, I finally
got a system that worked - except during contests and badge flights.
Then again, I am not a computer guru.... Of course, the only reason
why I went through all this crap is because my ancient laptop with a
serial port finally died.

When mounted in my glider, access to the rear of the 302 is
difficult. The solution is simple - remote the USB port and the
switch. Talk to the fine folks at Cambride before sending in the 302,
and let them know what you want to do. They can make the necessary
mods to the 302. I had the USB port and the switch mounted on the
instrument panel. It has worked flawlessly for the past 2 seasons.
Very simple and easy to use. Fire up the computer, connect the cable,
throw the switch, up/download using the Cambridge software. I keep
the USB cable in a zip lock bag inside a pouch attached to the seat
back. During contests, I also stash a net book (my dedicated "Soaring
Computer") behind the seat. (HP mini from Costco running MS Windows
XP Home Edition ver 2002 Service Pack 3)

As far as the cable goes, I am clueless. All I know is that it is not
a standard USB cable. When the USB mod was done, it came with the
correct cable. The only thing that I did was to take it to the local
computer store and tell them "Get me one just like this." One is
kept in the glider, the other, in my "glider box". Cheap insurance.

Hope some of this was useful to somebody.

Old August 30th 10, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi John,

I saw the same problem after connecting a 302 to my PC for the first time.
But the problem went away after I rebooted my PC.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.