5"PDA recommendation?

Old September 10th 10, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

Default 5"PDA recommendation?

I am interested in buying a 5" PNA on eBay in an attempt to connect to
a Cambridge 302A. If someone who has purchased one, could recommend a
seller and particular device that has 800X480 display and direct
access to Win CE5 or CE6, I would appreciated it?

Thanks in advance.

Mike "0"
Old September 10th 10, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Sep 9, 5:33*pm, Mike wrote:
I am interested in buying a 5" PNA on eBay in an attempt to connect to
a Cambridge 302A. *If someone who has purchased one, could recommend a
seller and particular device that has 800X480 display and direct
access to Win CE5 or CE6, I would appreciated it?

Thanks in advance.

Mike "0"

If you want to connect to a 302 carefully check the lowest baud rate
supported by the PNA serial interface. The 302 defaults to 4800
baud. If the PNA does not support that baud rate you will find it
difficult to interface with it.

I have a project, currently on hold, to build a "dongle" that
automatically sets the 302 to a higher baud rate every time it powers
up. I'll get back to it at the end of the racing season when I can
put the 302 on the bench.

You will find a lot of discussion of PNAs including 5 inchers on the
Post Frontal LK8000 website.

Andy
Old September 10th 10, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Westbender

On Sep 10, 9:58*am, Andy wrote:
On Sep 9, 5:33*pm, Mike wrote:

[...]

Andy,

Are you going to intercept "baud change commands" from the various
software programs that interface with the 302 and follow them?
Otherwise your bootup speed will only be viable in NMEA stream mode.
Any other interaction like task updloads, log xfers, etc will probably
hose things up.

I also have a project going with a programmable blue tooth adapter
that does the same thing. All the silly baud rate switching that's
done with the 302 makes this a bit complicated though. I've written my
own version of the 300 utility for the 302 using this BT adapter and
it behaves just fine at a constant "higher" baud rate. It also streams
NMEA data just fine at high baud rates to See You Mobile. Not sure why
Cambridge did that other than maybe some kind of legacy support.

Mike, Sorry for the thread hi-jack. Andy brings up an interesting
topic.
Old September 10th 10, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

On Sep 10, 9:33*am, Westbender wrote:
On Sep 10, 9:58*am, Andy wrote:

On Sep 9, 5:33*pm, Mike wrote:

[...]

Anything to help understand a potential problem and what is required
is helpful, so thanks for the contribution.

Regarding the baud rate with the 302A using a PNA....if the software
supports the baud rate the Cambridge uses, shouldn't the PNA connect,
or is there a problem with the PNA hardware/ CE interface?
Old September 10th 10, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Sep 10, 8:33*am, Westbender wrote:

Are you going to intercept "baud change commands" from the various
software programs that interface with the 302 and follow them?
Otherwise your bootup speed will only be viable in NMEA stream mode.
Any other interaction like task updloads, log xfers, etc will probably
hose things up.

My project, if it works as intended, will put the 302 serial port at a
predetermined baud rate. Any device interfacing with the 302 for any
purpose will have to be set to that baud rate.

If the interfacing device can control the 302 it will then be able to
set the baud rate to any other baud rate. However, on any 302 power
interrupt, the 302 will return to the baud rate defined by the dongle.

Andy

Old September 10th 10, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Sep 10, 9:58*am, Andy wrote:

On Sep 9, 5:33*pm, Mike wrote:

[...]

or is there a problem with the PNA hardware/ CE interface?- Hide quoted text -

As an example of the problem - the HP310 does not support 4800 baud
but LK8000 does. However LK8000 cannot tell the 302 to go to a higher
baud rate since the HP310 cannot communiacte at the 302's default 4800
rate to issue the baud rate change command..

Andy
Old September 10th 10, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

On Sep 10, 9:58*am, Andy wrote:

On Sep 9, 5:33*pm, Mike wrote:

[...]

Thanks Andy.

I understand that the HP310 does not allow direct access to CE and
like my Mio it is hacked with the SD card commands. Does having direct
access allow the user to change the baud rate and com port?
Old September 10th 10, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Sep 10, 9:58*am, Andy wrote:

On Sep 9, 5:33*pm, Mike wrote:

[...]

Getting direct access to Windows CE on the iPAQ 310 is easy. But not
really relevant to this problem, however you slice it the iPAQ 310
serial port does not work at 4800 baud. Anybody willing/able to hack
on a the CE serial device driver might get further....

Darryl
Old September 10th 10, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

On Sep 10, 12:42*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Sep 10, 10:57*am, mike wrote:

On Sep 10, 9:58*am, Andy wrote:

On Sep 9, 5:33*pm, Mike wrote:

[...]

OK thanks Darryl. That sort of ends my quest for a PNA I guess. I'm
willing but not able.

Mike

Old September 10th 10, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Sep 10, 10:57*am, mike wrote:

On Sep 10, 9:58*am, Andy wrote:

On Sep 9, 5:33*pm, Mike wrote:

[...]

There *are* PNAs out there that work at 4800 baud out of the box. The
iPAQ 310 is not one of them.

---

I like Andy's idea of a dongle to whack the C302 baud rate.

Darryl

Aviation Book Recommendation "Touching History" tscottme[_2_] Instrument Flight Rules 0 August 29th 08 10:16 AM
PDA recommendation alex8735 Soaring 8 March 22nd 08 08:29 AM
HSI Recommendation? randall g Owning 6 June 13th 07 09:22 PM
ELT Recommendation Dean Owning 3 April 26th 06 09:08 AM
ASW 20 Recommendation? Eric Greenwell Soaring 1 August 11th 03 06:56 AM