Schweizer 1-34 Pilot Weight capability

Old September 11th 10, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RN

Default Schweizer 1-34 Pilot Weight capability

Our club is considering an SGS 1-34 as an addition to the fleet and is
interested in the max pilot weight capability. It looks like the
handbook numbers are quite high, but we would appreciate any real
world inputs from 1-34 pilots or owners.
Old September 12th 10, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Sep 11, 4:27*pm, RN wrote:
Our club is considering an SGS 1-34 as an addition to the fleet and is
interested in the max pilot weight capability. It looks like the
handbook numbers are quite high, but we would appreciate any real
world inputs from 1-34 pilots or owners.

Ultimately, it depends on how much paint it has. I know of one
chapter that removed the paint and polished the aluminum to gain back
something approaching 30 lbs. But I don't know what the total payload
became. That 1-34 also had O2. Maybe a member will chime in.
Old September 12th 10, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete Brown

The 1-34 and 1-34R (retractable gear model) both have max gross weights
of 840 lbs. The empty weight of the 1-34 is 570 lbs providing a a max
useful load of 270 lbs. Add a battery, more than basic instruments, a
radio, transponder, and a oxygen system and you are going to end up with
a payload of ~240 lbs for the pilot. That's still a healthy number.

The 1-34R has an empty weight of 595 providing a max useful load of 245
lbs. Adding equipment thereto and the practical pilot weight could drop
into the 215 lb area. Counts me out.

When you find one, get a copy of that particular glider's current W&B to
see what the real empty weight and CG are. In addition to equipment,
repairs can add extra pounds, further diminishing the max pilot weight.

If you want a copy of the aircraft manual in a pdf file, send me an email.

pdbatgcidotnet

--

Pete Brown
Anchorage Alaska

Going home after a long day
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1415/...22928754_b.jpg

The fleet at Summit. Mt. McKinley is about 45nm away at 20,320 msl.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/4...cb8d2482_b.jpg

The 170B at Bold near Eklutna Glacier
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/168/4...a216d7bb75.jpg

Old September 12th 10, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

http://www.soarboulder.org/equipment/48-schweizer-i-34
Old September 12th 10, 07:35 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN View Post
Our club is considering an SGS 1-34 as an addition to the fleet and is
interested in the max pilot weight capability. It looks like the
handbook numbers are quite high, but we would appreciate any real
world inputs from 1-34 pilots or owners.
I have about 35 flights in a 1-34 and was surprised to see the book stating 270 lbs in the 1-34 and 245 in the retractable model, 1-34R. I have seen other 1-34's with a limitation of 218 lbs. I am 5'8" and 190 lbs and found the cockpit to be a bit of a tight fit for me. I have seen someone much larger than myself fly the same glider, a guy well over 220 lbs. I'm not sure that a 270 pounder would fit in the cockpit without vaseline and a shoe horn. That being said, the 1-34 is a fun airplane to fly and handles wonderfully.
Old September 12th 10, 08:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfer![_2_]

Whatever it says in the manual, remember each glider varies and is
individually placarded.

Old September 12th 10, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"RN" wrote in message

Our club is considering an SGS 1-34 as an addition to the fleet and is
interested in the max pilot weight capability. It looks like the
handbook numbers are quite high, but we would appreciate any real
world inputs from 1-34 pilots or owners.

I weighed 250 and 6' 3" when I owned mine
Old September 13th 10, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Sep 11, 4:27*pm, RN wrote:

Our club is considering an SGS 1-34 as an addition to the fleet and is
interested in the max pilot weight capability. It looks like the
handbook numbers are quite high, but we would appreciate any real
world inputs from 1-34 pilots or owners.

Ultimately, it depends on how much paint it has. *I know of one
chapter that removed the paint and polished the aluminum to gain back
something approaching 30 lbs. *But I don't know what the total payload
became. *That 1-34 also had O2. *Maybe a member will chime in.

http://www.soarboulder.org/equipment/48-schweizer-i-34

Just spoke with Bob Whelan about this 1-34. Some number were built
with filler and fabric over the metal to provide better laminar flow
as was this one. Over 30 lbs was regained by removing all but the
metal.

Frank Whiteley
Old September 14th 10, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ray conlon

On Sep 11, 4:27*pm, RN wrote:

Our club is considering an SGS 1-34 as an addition to the fleet and is
interested in the max pilot weight capability. It looks like the
handbook numbers are quite high, but we would appreciate any real
world inputs from 1-34 pilots or owners.

Ultimately, it depends on how much paint it has. *I know of one
chapter that removed the paint and polished the aluminum to gain back
something approaching 30 lbs. *But I don't know what the total payload
became. *That 1-34 also had O2. *Maybe a member will chime in.

http://www.soarboulder.org/equipment/48-schweizer-i-34

Just spoke with Bob Whelan about this 1-34. *Some number were built
with filler and fabric over the metal to provide better laminar flow
as was this one. *Over 30 lbs was regained by removing all but the
metal.

Frank Whiteley

Our club had one some years ago, great ship, rugged,roomy and at 6-3/
245# I had no problem with it. The dive brakes are fantastic, point it
striaght down, haul out the boards and forget about exceeding red line
concerns.
Would love to have another one. A close 2nd are the Platius B4's...