Does WiFi affect your choice of FBO?

Old October 15th 03, 06:28 PM

Default Does WiFi affect your choice of FBO?

I'm interested in knowing how important the availability of WiFi
access to the Internet is when pilots choose an FBO. Is it enough of
a benefit to really affect your choice, or is it just one more thing
that is nice to have.

If it affects your choice, is it enough to make you select one FBO
over another, or one airport over another, or even overlook a penny or
two difference in fuel prices?

If you were trying to convince your favorite FBO to install WiFi, what
arguments would you make?

Thanks,

LA
Old October 16th 03, 03:23 AM
Darrel Toepfer

"Kyler Laird" wrote:

I'm interested in knowing how important the availability of WiFi
access to the Internet is when pilots choose an FBO. Is it enough of
a benefit to really affect your choice, or is it just one more thing
that is nice to have.

I'd be happy to pay a couple cents per gallon more for fuel (~$20) to
support an FBO providing good WiFi access on cross-country trips.

I already plan cross-country routes based on where I can get GPRS.

If you were trying to convince your favorite FBO to install WiFi, what
arguments would you make?

He needs it anyway. Give the maintenance guys laptops so they don't
have to go back and forth when they're working on planes. Credit card
transactions and faxes can also go over IP, so you might as well get
decent IP anyway. A wireless access point is a tiny extra cost.

Just added it at 3R7, they are debating whether or not to allow free WWW
access. Installation was funded by a private concerns...

I already provide signal on the entire runway length at 4R7, adding a free
WWW hotspot at the FBO in the near future, everything but port 80 will be
blocked...

Old October 16th 03, 02:00 PM
Thomas Borchert

If you were trying to convince your favorite FBO to install WiFi, what
arguments would you make?

it's dirt cheap if the FBO has net access anyway. So it's a no-brainer.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 16th 03, 03:40 PM
Javier Henderson

"Darrel Toepfer" writes:

I already provide signal on the entire runway length at 4R7, adding a free
WWW hotspot at the FBO in the near future, everything but port 80 will be
blocked...

You mean outbound connections to ports other than 80 will be blocked?

This will break DNS (udp/53 for queries). And will also prevents us
geeks from checking our mail (the world would be a better place if
we all used character cell MUA's) via interactive logins over ss (tcp/22).

-jav
Old October 16th 03, 03:45 PM
Darrel Toepfer

"Javier Henderson" wrote...
"Darrel Toepfer" writes:
I already provide signal on the entire runway length at 4R7, adding a

free
WWW hotspot at the FBO in the near future, everything but port 80 will

be
blocked...

You mean outbound connections to ports other than 80 will be blocked?

This will break DNS (udp/53 for queries). And will also prevents us
geeks from checking our mail (the world would be a better place if
we all used character cell MUA's) via interactive logins over ss

(tcp/22).

Okay, so port 53/110 will be allowed too... g

But to send mail will require access to a web based mail system, which was
the original point all along...

Old October 16th 03, 07:22 PM
Kyler Laird

Javier Henderson writes:

WWW hotspot at the FBO in the near future, everything but port 80 will be
blocked...

You mean outbound connections to ports other than 80 will be blocked?

This will break DNS (udp/53 for queries). And will also prevents us
geeks from checking our mail (the world would be a better place if
we all used character cell MUA's) via interactive logins over ss (tcp/22).

Time to get a little geekier. It's not difficult to work around the
restriction.

--kyler