Va and turbulent air penetration speed.

Old January 11th 04, 12:50 AM
karl

*****The O-520 mount is a
bed mount; if it had been the usual rear mounting the engine would
have fallen off.****

No, it isn't a bed mount in a Cessna 185. The mount attaches to fourpoints
on the firewall.

A cessna 206, however, has a bed mount.

Karl
"curator" N185KG

Old January 11th 04, 01:51 AM
Tony Cox

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
"Tony Cox" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi Gary. As Julian pointed out, there may be terminology problems
here. It may well be that the 172 POH defines Va as you say, but in
that case Cessna are telling you something more -- they are telling you
specifically that their Va is defined to meet the equality condition in
23.335. So it is really just their own private definition, applicable to
that plane and model year only.

Yeah, except that the POH (or rather aircraft manual) acquires regulatory
force from the FARs, so it's not just a private definition; rather, as

usual
with the FAA, it's one of several mutually inconsistent definitions that's
in official use. (For what it's worth, the Piper Arrow POH gives
essentially the same definition as the C172P POH.)

I suppose its that old terminology problem again. What can
I say? The FAR's are quite explicit on how Va is defined, and
that is most definitely _not_ what is in the POH. Thank heavens
for the 50% safety factor, or we'd have planes falling out of the
sky all over.

But thinking again, I don't see the problem even if the POH inherits
regulatory authority. It is, after all, only true in the context of that
particular make and model (which is consistent with the FAR
definition when 23.335 takes the equality). It's only when you
extend that definition to cover other planes that it doesn't ring true.

Well, the control surfaces don't care how much weight is in the
plane (at least to first order). If you yank them lightly loaded, you'll
stress the cables and hinges just the same as if you were over gross.
So that Va'(w) is flat if you plot it against w.

Right, but aren't the wings and control surfaces protected by Vno (a
weight-invariant force limit) rather than by Va (a weight-dependent
acceleration limit)? That's how I think about it anyway, even if it

doesn't
match (some of) the official definitions.

Vno doesn't say anything about control input. I've always wondered
how it is established. Seems like a test pilot would earn his or
her money finding out. I've always assumed that the windshield
would be the first thing to go...

Hope you've found this rant more informative than pedantic!

Sure, and I don't mind pedantry anyway. :-)

Hey thanks! A strangely interesting subject, don't you think?

--
Dr. Tony Cox
Citrus Controls Inc.

Old January 11th 04, 01:58 AM
Tony Cox

"Dan Thomas" wrote in message
om...
"Tony Cox" wrote in message

link.net...
"Dan Thomas" wrote in message
om...

The only times I have heard of engine mounts failing on light
airplanes is when a prop throws part of a blade, or maybe the whole
blade on a constant-speed prop. The imbalance is more than enough to
rip the engine off the airplane. Blades will fail when propeller nicks
are left untreated and cracks develop. The prop is the most highly
stressed bit of metal on the whole airplane, and THAT'S what pilots
should be concerned about, not engine mounts.

Nah. Properly designed engine mounts would never let that happen.

Cessna 185 operated by JAARS Inc, South America, about ten years ago.
Threw a blade and the engine tore off the mount before the pilot could
shut it down. It turned sideways in the cowl, and the cowl was the
only thing keeping it from departing entirely. The O-520 mount is a
bed mount; if it had been the usual rear mounting the engine would
have fallen off.

What's a bed mount, Dan? I've always thought (hoped) that my
182 cowling would contain the engine. And there is always the
fuel line, throttle cable, and battery cable as a last line of defense

Old January 11th 04, 01:59 AM
Gary Drescher

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
ink.net...
But thinking again, I don't see the problem even if the POH inherits
regulatory authority. It is, after all, only true in the context of that
particular make and model (which is consistent with the FAR
definition when 23.335 takes the equality). It's only when you
extend that definition to cover other planes that it doesn't ring true.

Agreed. In my short few years as a pilot so far, the planes I've flown
(152s, 172s, Warriors, and Arrows) have all had essentially the same
definition of Va in their POHs, so I didn't realize it wasn't universal.

Hey thanks! A strangely interesting subject, don't you think?

Yup. Thanks for the discussion!

--Gary

--
Dr. Tony Cox
Citrus Controls Inc.

Old January 11th 04, 09:14 AM
Roger Halstead

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 21:52:48 GMT, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

In article ,
(Doug) wrote:

Kershner's "The Advanced Pilot's Flight Manual" has the following
definition for Va.

Va - The maneuvering speed. This is the maxiumu speed at a particular
weight at which the controls may be fully deflected without
overstressing the airplane.

Now, Va is commonly taught as turbulent air penetration speed. But
nowhere in the definition does it say that Va will protect the
airframe from damage due to turbulence.

Does slowing down even slower than Va protect the airframe from even
more severe turbulence? Or is Va the best speed for turbulence
penetration? Or is Va just used as a turbulence air penetration speed
becauase of tradition or some other non-technically correct reason.

Va is the MAXIMUM speed (at max gross weight) at which the aircraft can
be stalled without exceeding its max designed load factor. The lower
the gross weight, the lower the effective Va (due to engine mounts, etc.)

Even then there is no gurantee there will be no damage from a vertical
gust exceeding 30 fps, or that is the figure used for Bonanzas. Va,
30 fps = a 4 to a 4 1/2 G load which is the load limit for the utility
category. A vertical gust greater than 30 fps at Va would give a
greater load.

If need be I can quote/copy the paragraph right out of the ABS Pilot
Proficency Training Manual.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old January 11th 04, 09:21 AM
Roger Halstead

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 02:17:48 GMT, Dave S
wrote:

Art..

With all due respect.. you really need to go and review the section on
angle of attack and accelerated stalls.. I've been able to intentionally
stall a light (ASEL) aircraft in smooth air at Va.. its called a steep
turn with extra back pressure. It has nothing to do with "tailwind
gusts".. it has EVERYTHING to do with angle of attack.

It ends up being a bit slower than Va, but I practice steep turns at
60 degree bank with the stall warning horn blowing. Then add a bit of
extra pull to get the beak.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Dave

ArtP wrote:
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:29:05 GMT, Robert Moore
wrote:

And I thought that every private pilot was taught that an airplane
can be stalled at any airspeed and any attitude. I assure you that I,
or a gust of sufficient value can stall your SR20 at 120 kts.

By my calculations, if I am flying in cruise it would take a tail wind
gust of 56 knots to stall me. I suspect that would fall in the
category of sever turbulence and I don't think there is any airspeed
that would be safe under those conditions in a single engine normal
category aircraft. In any case a stall at cruise altitude should not
be a problem but parts (like the engine or the wings) falling off the
aircraft would be.

Old January 11th 04, 09:29 AM
Roger Halstead

On 9 Jan 2004 14:18:14 -0800, (Dan Thomas)
wrote:

(Doug) wrote in message . com...
Kershner's "The Advanced Pilot's Flight Manual" has the following
definition for Va.

Va - The maneuvering speed. This is the maxiumum speed at a particular
weight at which the controls may be fully deflected without
overstressing the airplane.

Note that this definition DOES NOT say that the airplane will stall
before it breaks due to turbulence.

Now, Va is commonly taught as turbulent air penetration speed. But
nowhere in the definition does it say that Va will protect the
airframe from damage due to turbulence.

Doesn't have to. Pulling full up elevator loads the wings the
same as a strong vertical gust; both increase AOA and the airplane and
occupants both feel increased G loading. At or below Va the airplane
will stall and thereby unload the structure somewhat if the AOA
reaches stall angle, and the load factor won't exceed the designed
structural limits.

IF you are cruising at Va and encounter a vertical gust that causes a
stall right at the design limit you survive. What happens when you
hit a vertical gust of twice the velocity of the first? According to
the ABS and Airsafety Foundation, you are going to break your
airplane.

Va is lower at lower weights because the airplane is going to
tend to change direction more easily in a gust or sharp pull-up, and
the directional change keeps AOA below stall angle and maintains the
high wing loading. Lowering Va will allow it to stall sooner.
Everybody fears wing failure, but many airplanes will suffer tail
failure first. Bonanzas and 210s are famous for such accidents, with a

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

VFR pilot entering IMC and losing control. He pops out of the overcast
at 400 feet in a screaming spiral dive, and promptly pulls up hard.
The stabilizer fails downward, then the airplane pitches forward onto
its back and the wings fail downward (negative Gs).

Dana

Old January 11th 04, 02:38 PM
Robert Moore

Roger Halstead wrote

IF you are cruising at Va and encounter a vertical gust that causes a
stall right at the design limit you survive. What happens when you
hit a vertical gust of twice the velocity of the first? According to
the ABS and Airsafety Foundation, you are going to break your
airplane.

Again referencing a couple of previous posts:
Quoted from Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators:

"As a general requirement, all airplanes must be capable of withstanding an
approximate effective +/- 30 foot per second gust when at maximum level
flight speed for normal rated power. Such a gust intensity has relatively
low frequency of occurrence in ordinary flying operations. The highest
reasonable gust velocity that may be anticipated is an actual veritical
velocity, U, of 50 feet per second."
And from FAR 23

Section 23.333: Flight envelope
(c) Gust envelope. (1) The airplane is assumed to be subjected to
symmetrical vertical gusts in level flight. The resulting limit load
factors must correspond to the conditions determined as follows:

(i) Positive (up) and negative (down) gusts of 50 f.p.s. at VC must be
considered.........

(ii) Positive and negative gusts of 25 f.p.s. at VD must be
considered...........

Now since 50 fps is the highest reasonable gust that may be anticipated,
and all aircraft are designed to withstand this gust all the way up to
Vc, what causes the wings to come off? As Dana has posted:

VFR pilot entering IMC and losing control. He pops out of the overcast
at 400 feet in a screaming spiral dive, and promptly pulls up hard.
The stabilizer fails downward, then the airplane pitches forward onto
its back and the wings fail downward (negative Gs).

Yes, I understand that older aircraft may have been certificated to only
a 30 fps gust value, but as pointed out in AFNA above, that will be
encountered very infrequently and in my opinion, never outside of a
thunderstorm. In fact, the aiframe must withstand the 25 fps gust (not
far from 30 fps) all the way to the maximum demonstrated dive speed.

The aircraft is already designed for the maximum anticipated gust. There
is no gust "twice the velocity" for which the aircraft is designed.

Is there some reason that you don't copy/paste or at least provide a url
for the material that you have referenced? Who is (are) the ABS and what
engineering credentials are possesed by members of the AOPA's Airsafety
Foundation?

Bob Moore

Old January 11th 04, 08:30 PM
Dan Thomas

"karl" wrote in message ...
*****The O-520 mount is a
bed mount; if it had been the usual rear mounting the engine would
have fallen off.****

No, it isn't a bed mount in a Cessna 185. The mount attaches to fourpoints
on the firewall.

A cessna 206, however, has a bed mount.

Karl
"curator" N185KG

The mount attaches to the firewall, but extends underneath the
engine and attaches to four mounts on the *bottom* of the case. These
are the mounts that failed, not the tubing. The engine in question was
resting on that structure when the noise was finished.
Old January 11th 04, 08:35 PM
Dan Thomas

"Tony Cox" wrote in message ink.net...
"Dan Thomas" wrote in message
om...
"Tony Cox" wrote in message

link.net...
"Dan Thomas" wrote in message
[...]

I couldn't trust a few wires and cables to keep the weight of the
engine attached to the firewall.
I spoke with a former 747 pilot who was into Formula 1 racing. He
had a single-seat (Cassutt?) racer that used an O-200 turning a tiny
prop at 4400 RPM to get the flat-out speed he wanted. I asked him
about the prop failure/engine departure scenario, and he told me that
he (and his buddies, in their airplanes) had a stout cable wrapped
around the engine and bolted to the firewall to cover this
eventuality. Apparently it had happened more than once before to other
unfortunate racers.

Dan