I just read the AOPA ePilot Flight Training Edition -- Vol. 4, Issue 4 from

Old February 21st 04, 02:56 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Cub Driver wrote:

(I forget what the knot is called, but I think it depends
on tension to hold it securely.)

When I learned it, the fellow that taught it to me called it a "canoe hitch".

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.
Old February 21st 04, 02:58 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Chuck wrote:

Just wanted to so thanks a helluva lot for your bright idea of an
experiment...

Don't blame Casey for the fact that you can't follow simple instructions.

Old February 21st 04, 03:04 PM
Newps

Peter R. wrote:
BTIZ wrote:

. don't trust Cessna slots that slip into the strut and hide when flying..

Why? Have there been owners you know who experienced failures of these
types of slots?

Yes. If you really want your plane secure you wrap the tie down around
the strut itself.

Old February 21st 04, 03:51 PM
A Lieberman

BTIZ wrote:

Lets just say I've seen more than one Cessna flipped onto its back when tie
downs failed in high winds.. But Pipers seem to stay upright.

I wondered about this.

I found that taxing a low wing is much easier to handle in high winds
situation. Is it because the CG is lower to the ground?

After all, the weight of the fuel is lower to the ground over the
wheels, thus harder to tip over?

Allen
Old February 21st 04, 05:07 PM
Greg Hopp

We just returned from the emergency room. They said that my eye should open
back up in 3-5 days and the x-rays of her fist showed that it is just
sprained, not broken...

Just wanted to so thanks a helluva lot for your bright idea of an
experiment...

;-) I'll bet he was mean to his brothers too. Getting them to do all
sorts of stupid stuff.

Greg
Old February 21st 04, 07:40 PM
Rick Durden

Allen

Lets just say I've seen more than one Cessna flipped onto its back when tie
downs failed in high winds.. But Pipers seem to stay upright.

I wondered about this.

I found that taxing a low wing is much easier to handle in high winds
situation. Is it because the CG is lower to the ground?

After all, the weight of the fuel is lower to the ground over the
wheels, thus harder to tip over?

A little too simplified. Low wing airplanes get blown over in high
winds as do high wing airplanes. Dihedral, direction and force of the
wing, width of the landing gear all play a role.

When taxiing, holding appropriate aileron and elevator deflection
makes a big difference. Doing it wrong on an extremely windy or gusty
day, combined with misue of the brakes which gets the airplane
rocking, can ruin things for you in almost any light airplane.

All the best,
Rick
Old February 21st 04, 10:34 PM
Chuck

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Chuck wrote:

Just wanted to so thanks a helluva lot for your bright idea of an
experiment...

Don't blame Casey for the fact that you can't follow simple instructions.

But.. he should have had a disclaimer...

---

Old February 22nd 04, 06:04 AM
Morgans

Cub Driver wrote:

(I forget what the knot is called, but I think it depends
on tension to hold it securely.)

When I learned it, the fellow that taught it to me called it a "canoe

hitch".

George Patterson

++++++++++++++++++++++
I learned it in scouts, as a taught line hitch.
--
Jim in NC

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Crap It should be "taut" instead of taught. Brain fart from lateness.

--
Jim in NC

---

Old February 22nd 04, 07:38 AM
C J Campbell

No, don't leave any slack. I can't imagine how the author of the article can
possibly justify this.

As far as using chains, no. Don't ever use them. Carry your own tiedown
ropes if necessary. You can't get chains taut enough. A high wind will cause
the plane to yank on the chain until it runs out of slack and breaks.

I would bet that any Cessna (or any other plane) that has had a tiedown ring
break in a high wind was tied down improperly in the first place.

The plane should be tied down securely whether you expect high winds or not.
You could get an unexpected thunderstorm.