My Trip To The Avionics Shop $$$$$

Old March 28th 04, 11:51 PM
Ray Andraka

For my Sigmatek Attitude with the flag: $495 my unit overhauled, $595 overhaul
exchange, $1015 new. These were installed prices. I imagine the ratios are
similar for a TC.

MRQB wrote:

What is the cost differance in a overhauled turn cordinator Vs. a new? if it
is only a little ill buy new

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old March 29th 04, 02:52 AM
Newps

Ray Andraka wrote:
For my Sigmatek Attitude with the flag: $495 my unit overhauled, $595 overhaul
exchange, $1015 new. These were installed prices. I imagine the ratios are
similar for a TC.

You got ripped off. New Sigma Teks can be had for $550, with the flag,
which is only a $50 option. It takes maybe a half hour to put one in.

Old March 29th 04, 02:53 AM
Jim Weir

google "gyro house" auburn

Jim

"MRQB"

-Do you have contact info for The Gyro House

-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old March 29th 04, 03:25 AM
Ray Andraka

Thanks, but I've done the mail order route for gyros before, and they never last
very long. I had the work done at the shop that does the overhauls, and it is a
well regarded shop. I've been very pleased with past gyros from this shop (VIP in
Hartford), much more so than previous mail order ones. I think your prices are a
bit low as well. As a point of reference, Spruce lists it without a flag for $667,
with a flag for $803(not an exact match,). Chief lists it (5000B-38) at $825, and
$662 without the flag. These have sat on the shelf for God knows how long, have
been subjected to rough handling in shipping, and the prices don't include shipping,
nor the cost to get them installed. I also know that with the local shop, I get
warranty service. It happened with the DG they put in. A year and later it was
precessing too much. They replaced it at no cost. Try that with mail order....it
won't happen. I've seen too many gyros come in mail order that are no good just a
week or two after install. With those, you generally only get 30 days from date of
order if that. Doesn't sound like much of a rip-off to me.

Old March 29th 04, 04:34 AM
Jay Honeck

Do you have contact info for The Gyro House

http://www.gyrohouse.com/

Good folks.

They did my DG and my AI, on Jim's recommendation.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 29th 04, 02:59 PM

I had good luck with Kelly Instruments in KS on my EDO-AIRE AI and DG last
year. Something like $300 each to overhaul, came back cosmetically beautiful. Now I
can pretty much set the DG at annual time and forget it for the rest of the year (not
quite, but once up and running, it's 1-2 degrees/hour precession). The AI wallers
nicely on startup, and erects in less than 5 sec. Don't know about longevity, but so
far so good (100 hours later).

From what I've heard the new gyros are crap... I'd believe it to. Seeing the
guts of mine before sending it off (I just *had* to look)... very well built
old-school stuff. Ever wonder why the hockey-puck DG's and Sparrow AI's from the '50s
are still going strong having never been overhauled? Too many companies these days
take their well-respected name for granted and start bowing to the cost-reduction
gods.

Jay Honeck wrote:
: Do you have contact info for The Gyro House

: http://www.gyrohouse.com/

: Good folks.

: They did my DG and my AI, on Jim's recommendation.
: --
: Jay Honeck
: Iowa City, IA
: Pathfinder N56993
: www.AlexisParkInn.com
: "Your Aviation Destination"

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old March 29th 04, 03:57 PM
Peter R.

Frank Stutzman ) wrote:

They didn't seem to understand me when I said I wanted some extra hummus
to go with my gyro, though.

No wonder. Who puts hummus on their gyro?

--
Peter

Old March 29th 04, 08:11 PM
Dennis O'Connor

It's interesting that you use an insult to make a point - I will pass on
that... That's two insulting posts I've received in the past couple of
days...

"Newps" wrote in message

Dennis O'Connor wrote:
Never, never, never, rebuild a gyro instrument that your life depends
upon... Always replace with new...

Drivel.

Old March 29th 04, 10:23 PM
Stu Gotts

Here's another one. Grow up! I didn't read where you were elected
Pope and now carry infallibility into aviation newsgroups. Some
people may have a bit more knowledge about a certain subject and will
disagree. Some people won't know **** and disagree. This is usenet
and without a thick skin, you'll never survive without your mommy.