Continental IO-520A operating data?

Old November 18th 04, 12:26 AM
Michael

Default Continental IO-520A operating data?

Does anyone out there have power setting and fuel flow data for a
Continental IO-520A engine? These were installed on some 1970's era
Bonanzas, and someone whose opinion I respect mentioned that the power
setting and fuel flow data in the aircraft POH were based more on
marketing requirements than sound operating practice - that is to say,
they did not conform to Continental recommendations and were not good
for the long term health of the engine. Obviously the aircraft
manufacturer's recommendations are in the POH, but does anyone have a
source of the engine manufacturer's recommendations, or, failing that,
the recommendation of a manufacturer other than Beech that uses the
engine? I would like to be able to compare the two.

Michael
Old November 18th 04, 01:47 AM
Fly

Try www.tcmlink.com

And yes, there is a wave of opinion that fuel systems adjustments shold be
on the rich side.

Kent Felkins
Tulsa

om...

Old November 18th 04, 03:07 PM
Michael

"Fly" wrote
Try www.tcmlink.com

Thanks for that link. Good info to have, and I now have at least the
full throttle fuel flow. Nothing there about power settings, though.

And yes, there is a wave of opinion that fuel systems adjustments shold be
on the rich side.

Yes, that was the impression I got.

Michael
Old November 19th 04, 12:40 AM
Matt Barrow

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone out there have power setting and fuel flow data for a
Continental IO-520A engine? These were installed on some 1970's era
Bonanzas, and someone whose opinion I respect mentioned that the power
setting and fuel flow data in the aircraft POH were based more on
marketing requirements than sound operating practice - that is to say,
they did not conform to Continental recommendations and were not good
for the long term health of the engine.

That sounds like the old ROP/LOP thread that ran in here a while back. Is
that the comparison you're looking for?

The notion of POH setting being set by the marketing department sounds like
John Deakin over at AVWeb.

Matt
---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Old November 19th 04, 01:36 PM
John Clonts

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone out there have power setting and fuel flow data for a
Continental IO-520A engine? These were installed on some 1970's era
Bonanzas, and someone whose opinion I respect mentioned that the power
setting and fuel flow data in the aircraft POH were based more on
marketing requirements than sound operating practice - that is to say,
they did not conform to Continental recommendations and were not good
for the long term health of the engine. Obviously the aircraft
manufacturer's recommendations are in the POH, but does anyone have a
source of the engine manufacturer's recommendations, or, failing that,
the recommendation of a manufacturer other than Beech that uses the
engine? I would like to be able to compare the two.

Michael

Well ours is a IO-520-L but I don't know how the suffixes work on those. It's in our 1978 C210M. I emailed it
to you, and posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation. Hope it helps!

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old November 19th 04, 03:18 PM
Michael

"Matt Barrow" wrote
The notion of POH setting being set by the marketing department sounds like
John Deakin over at AVWeb.

Actually, most of what John Deakin writes over on AvWeb on the topic
is totally unoriginal - and very correct. And you would be amazed how
often it is marketing rather than engineering that writes operating
manuals - in any industry.

Michael
Old November 21st 04, 02:59 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message
That sounds like the old ROP/LOP thread that ran in here a while back.

Has that ever gone away? :-)

Paul

Old November 26th 04, 08:38 PM

I second that.

What John Deakin said can be basically summarised in two parts:

1. Anytime the power setting is above 75%, use full rich. Check the
fuel flow and make sure it's rich enough for the engine and power
output.

2. Anytime the power setting is below 75%, lean the mixture
REGARDLESS OF THE ALTITUDE. The lower the power setting, the more
aggressive the mixture should be leaned. On the ground, the mixture
should be leaned to the point that the engine barely runs. For engine
that has good mixture distribution on all cylinders, use LOP
operation.

I follow these rule of thumb and my engine couldn't be happier. John
Deakin's article taught me that the decision of *whether to lean the
mixture or not* has nothing to do with altitude, only with power
setting. The only thing varies with desity altitude is how much
mixture control you need to pull out to achieve a specific mixture
setting.

I wish they could teach this in primary training and we can all be
spared from all the fouled plugs.