Nicopress Swaging Tool - Availability

Old January 4th 05, 11:52 PM
Gary T. Ciampa

Default Nicopress Swaging Tool - Availability

All,

This information may be well known but I felt compelled to pass it along.

I've been searching for a Nicopress Swaging tool and choking on the
prices at the typcial aircraft supply companies.

Turns out that Lowes has a Campbell Nicipress tool, 1/16 to 1/8 of an
inch for $24.95. The tool is located in the rope,chain and stell cable
area.

I assume the less expense tool will perform adequately, based on
go/no-go verification.

Cheers,

Gary
Old January 5th 05, 02:05 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:52:26 GMT, "Gary T. Ciampa" wrote:

All,

This information may be well known but I felt compelled to pass it along.

I've been searching for a Nicopress Swaging tool and choking on the
prices at the typcial aircraft supply companies.

Turns out that Lowes has a Campbell Nicipress tool, 1/16 to 1/8 of an
inch for $24.95. The tool is located in the rope,chain and stell cable
area.

I assume the less expense tool will perform adequately, based on
go/no-go verification.

Be advised that the tool *may* be somewhat different than the standard aviation
variety. "Normal" aviation swages are designed so that the length of the swaged
areas for 1/16" and 3/32" cable is just slightly less than the length of the
nicopress sleeve.

I bought a swage about 15 years ago, though, that had a length of swaged area
less than 1/2 the length of the sleeves.

This is nominally not a problem, since you can just hit the sleeve several
times, like you do with 1/8" and larger. However, most aviation guides to
nicopressing call for only *one* swage on 1/16" and 3/32" sleeves. If you
follow those instructions with these "short" swages, only half the sleeve length
will be compressed and it probably won't develop the full rated strength.

The interesting thing, I bought that "short" swage from an aviation vendor.

Anyway, with the appropriate number of compressions and the correct go/no-go
gauge, it'll probably work fine. Personally, I bought another swage.

Ron Wanttaja
Old January 5th 05, 01:59 PM
Pierre

Note that there is also available an "economy swaging tool" (see Aircraft
Spruce catalog P/N 12-12000) for $15.95. It takes more time to do the swage
(you tighten bolts to swage the sleeve) but that's not a big problem unless
you work on an assembly line and have hundreds of these things to do.

This tool has been recommended in the "canard pusher" newsletter.

Has anybody any comments on this? Are there any potential problems with
picky inspectors?

om...

Old January 5th 05, 02:26 PM
Corky Scott

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:59:04 -0500, "Pierre"
wrote:

Note that there is also available an "economy swaging tool" (see Aircraft
Spruce catalog P/N 12-12000) for $15.95. It takes more time to do the swage
(you tighten bolts to swage the sleeve) but that's not a big problem unless
you work on an assembly line and have hundreds of these things to do.

This tool has been recommended in the "canard pusher" newsletter.

Has anybody any comments on this? Are there any potential problems with
picky inspectors?

I have this tool and confirm that it does what it's supposed to do. I
think it's insane to buy the expensive tool when the less expensive
one does the job precisely as well as the more expensive one, it just
takes longer.

Please note, there is no difference in the resultant swaged cable end
whether using the cheap tool or the expensive one, the end result is
exactly, repeat, exactly the same. In fact, I borrowed the expensive
tool once and had to discard the parts because the owner called me up
later and told me that he'd been contacted by the manufacturer and was
told that the tool had been improperly manufactured and could produce
substandard swages. So the cheap tool worked better than the
expensive one.

If you tighten the bolts till the two halves of the cheap swaging tool
bottom out together, how can the result be any different than the more
expensive tool?

Corky Scott
Old January 5th 05, 08:25 PM
BTIZ

Corky... the swages must still be checked against a "go - nogo" criteria ..
measuring tool..

We had a control cable here that came apart in-flight, swage failed.. a tool
was used that had previously been determined to produce substandard swages..
it was kept around for some reason.. another mechanic used it a couple years
later on an aircraft and did not check the go/nogo,

the aileron cable came apart.. the pilot was able to emergency land in the
desert with no major damage.. rudder/elevator only..

the mechanic was fired.. and a letter put in his FAA folder..

BT

Old January 6th 05, 01:50 AM
Wayne Paul

Here is a link to a accident report which involved the use of a nicopress
tool on a cable end that should have been swaged.
http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?e...11X15727&key=1

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

news2YCd.11156$232.5486@fed1read05...

Old January 7th 05, 01:18 AM
Blueskies

"Gary T. Ciampa" wrote in message ...

BTW: As it turns out, the tools from Lowes was NOT, I repeat, NOT sufficient for the nicopress compression sleeves.

Sorry about the false advertising! I ended up ordering an aviation approved tool.

Regards,

Gary

What was wrong with it?

Old January 7th 05, 02:27 AM
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Gary T. Ciampa says...

BTW: As it turns out, the tools from Lowes was NOT, I repeat, NOT
sufficient for the nicopress compression sleeves.

Sorry about the false advertising! I ended up ordering an aviation
approved tool.

Now you've piqued my curiosity ,I have 2 National Telephone nico tools at my
shop ,the expensive ones .One is hand held and the other is a bench mount. I
also just bought the $24.95 economy tool from Lowes. In the next day or so I
will make up some test cables and compare the pricey ones with the cheap one,and
post my results. I also have a go / no go gauge provided with my NT to check all
three swages.

I have had excellent results with the bolt style swage tool and it will do what
my expensive tools will do only slower. It's good for homebuilders but too slow
for production. Great for a tool box.

See ya

Chuck S

Old January 7th 05, 02:50 AM
Mark Smith

Gary T. Ciampa wrote:

Gary T. Ciampa wrote:
All,

This information may be well known but I felt compelled to pass it along.

I've been searching for a Nicopress Swaging tool and choking on the
prices at the typcial aircraft supply companies.

Turns out that Lowes has a Campbell Nicipress tool, 1/16 to 1/8 of an
inch for $24.95. The tool is located in the rope,chain and stell cable
area.

I assume the less expense tool will perform adequately, based on
go/no-go verification.

Cheers,

Gary

BTW: As it turns out, the tools from Lowes was NOT, I repeat, NOT
sufficient for the nicopress compression sleeves.

Sorry about the false advertising! I ended up ordering an aviation
approved tool.

Regards,

Gary

I bought one, swaged some sleeves, checked them with Go gage, checked OK

what did you find wrong,,,,,,,,,??
--

Mark Smith
Tri-State Kite Sales

http://www.trikite.com

Old January 7th 05, 01:27 PM
Corky Scott

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:25:09 -0800, "BTIZ"
wrote:

Corky... the swages must still be checked against a "go - nogo" criteria ..
measuring tool..

We had a control cable here that came apart in-flight, swage failed.. a tool
was used that had previously been determined to produce substandard swages..
it was kept around for some reason.. another mechanic used it a couple years
later on an aircraft and did not check the go/nogo,

That's a good story BTIZ, but does not address the point. The point
is the cheapo tool works just as well as the expensive tool. Yes, you
should always check with a go-no-go guage.

Corky Scott