Will a Blanik L13 open trailer work for an L23?

Old August 29th 18, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Will a Blanik L13 open trailer work for an L23?

Is there anyone that knows if an Blanik L13 open trailer will work for an L23?
Old August 29th 18, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 11:26:18 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Is there anyone that knows if an Blanik L13 open trailer will work for an L23?

Not without fittings being modified. Any open trailer can be made to work with just about anything given enough time and talent with welding. The same open trailer in our club has supported at various times an L-13 Blanik, a 1-34, and a Pilatus to name a few.

Old August 29th 18, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

You will need to fool with the fittings a bit and make a holder for the horizontal stabilizer. On the L-13 the stab folds up but stays on. On the L-23 it removes.
ROY
Old August 29th 18, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

FWIW, you can--indeed--put almost anything on an open trailer...and without welding. My father and his partners got one of the first Diamant HBV fiberglass gliders (Libelle 301 wings on that beautiful Diamant fuselage) from Switzerland back in the mid 60s. This was before trailers were an option. We didn't have a clue, so for the few times we needed one, we put the pieces on an open 1-26 trailer. Yeah, the wingtips extended back behind the trailer, the tail was WAY in the air (IIRC, we removed the tailskid and used the standard tripod to boost it up), and the fork/tongue spars extended forward of the trailer (they were just clamped in place), making it impossible to turn very tightly without damaging the spar tips and/or the tow vehicle. The fuselage was retained with the gear down and wheel in the standard wheel box, and with cables and turnbuckles tightened on each side to steady it.

Worked great! But it was an unbelievable chore for 3-4 of us to put it on/off the trailer that summer until we got a real enclosed trailer built and fitted. Thankfully no one ran into the back of it on the road.

Some memories are good. This one still makes me cringe.

Chip Bearden
Old August 30th 18, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 8:26:18 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Is there anyone that knows if an Blanik L13 open trailer will work for an L23?

If you add a holder for the horizontal stabilizer it should work if it's like the open L-13 trailers I've seen. If the open trailer supports the wing leading edge with a saddle down opposite the inner edge of the aileron everything else should work OK (we have an L-23 trailer in which the wings are supported by fittings that wrap around the tips and that is one area in which the 13 and 23 differ quite a bit) When we put an L-13 on the open L-23 trailer we had we had to make the wing leading edge saddles sit higher so the L-13 "tip-tanks" cleared the floor of the trailer but once that single mod was done it could take both 13's and 23's.

WTB Open Trailer [email protected] Soaring 0 July 31st 17 11:20 PM
open trailer ball Charles Cook Soaring 0 July 17th 15 05:44 PM
WANTED (USA): Blanik L-23 Trailer (Open or Closed) CLewis95 Soaring 0 November 14th 08 10:23 PM
Open trailer for a Schweizer 1-34 [email protected] Soaring 0 August 7th 06 03:09 PM
Wanted- Open Blanik Trailer Fish Soaring 0 April 19th 06 11:56 PM