Private Pilot Uniforms

Old November 27th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Private Pilot Uniforms

B A R R Y wrote:
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 14:01:55 -0800, Ron Wanttaja
wrote:

Anywhere but the third world, you're going to be looked at as stark raving
bonkers if you wear a uniform while acting as a private pilot.

Unless your last name is Travolta. G

Revolta always looks stark raving bonkers no matter what.
Old November 27th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Nov 25, 3:26 pm, "Frank" wrote:
I am anticipating getting my private certificate in the not-too-distant future. I know this may sound like a real dorky thing to some people, which is why I am reluctant to ask my instructor, but I was thinking about getting a uniform.

I do not want to do anything against any "protocol", nor would I want to offend any career pilots or military personnel. Accordingly, I want to pose the questions for everyone here.

Is it permissible for a private pilot to wear a shirt and/or jacket that epaulettes with 4 gold stripes? I believe that gold is for "officers" (such as the captain of the plane) and 4 stripes signify the pilot (3 are for crew). Is this correct?

Also, is it ok to wear a pilot cap with generic gold wings to match the epaulettes?

Although this may sound a little quirky to some, I am interested in displaying how VERY proud I am, but I don't want to offend.

You'll become the butt of many jokes. And you might get asked out for
a date by another man.
But hey, whatever floats your boat. This is still supposed to be a
free country.

Around here, the official "pilot uniform" is generally jeans or shorts
and a Hawaiian shirt. with a baseball cap or tilley hat to cover our
bald spots. A small pair of wings clipped onto the hat is cool,
though.

Also around here, there is generally no problem recognizing the brand
new pilots. They're the ones with big grins on their faces that you
couldn't remove with a sandblaster.
Old November 27th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Clay[_2_]

I used to instruct at a major Midwest university flight school.
Pre Solo Student pilots wore a blue shirt with epaulets.
Solo Student Pilots wore dark blue shoulder boards without stripes.
Private pilots wore dark blue shoulder boards with one silver stripe.
Instrument pilots wore dark blue shoulder boards with two silver
stripes.
Commercial pilots wore dark blue shoulder boards with three silver
stripes.
CFI pilots wore dark blue shoulder boards with four silver stripes.
Instructors wore white shirts with black shoulder boards and three
gold stripes.
ATP instructors wore white shirts with black shoulder boards and four
gold stripes.

Students wore dark blue slacks, black shoes or boots.
Instructors wore black slacks, black shoes or boots.
White tennis shoe were not permitted.

Hair neatly trimmed and no jewelry other than a watch or ring.

Conduct while in uniform is something to consider. Do not be like the
Dean Martin / Foster Brooks bar video. It is funny but not the thing
a pilot should do while in uniform.

If you do not want to wear a uniform, don't. If you dress in a nice
polo or button down shirt, slacks or jeans which are in good repair,
no one will look down at you at the airport. Don't even go to an
airport wearing nose rings, earrings, Grateful Dead t-shirt, long
nasty unkept hair, faded blue jeans with rip holes, John Lennon
sunglasses and Jesus sandals. Not only will you not get any respect
but the TSA agents or local law enforcement may escort you to a small
private room for a chat.

Nothing wrong with looking the part but try to dress in a manner which
blends in with the rest of the pilot community.
Each airport has its own flavor of pilots.

Old November 27th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Al G[_1_]

wrote in message
On Nov 25, 3:26 pm, "Frank" wrote:

Also around here, there is generally no problem recognizing the brand
new pilots. They're the ones with big grins on their faces that you
couldn't remove with a sandblaster.

Permagrin. Very Common on sunny days.

Al G

Old November 27th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt W. Barrow

"Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote in message
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
Jon,

A knee board. Gotta walk into the FBO with a knee board straped on...

or a strap-on with a knee board.

It'd get in the way of the control yoke.
--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC.

Old November 27th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt W. Barrow

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:28:04 -0700, "Matt W. Barrow"
wrote:

Also, is it ok to wear a pilot cap with generic gold wings to match the
epaulettes?

Sure, it's permissible.

But line guys and FBO receptionists will laugh at you.

And real professional pilots might give you a melvin and take your
lunch
money.

Maybe he should wear a full set of pirate regalia.

At least there's a manual for it....

http://www.avweb.com/newspics/potw/l...otw04_1347.jpg

Ron "Argggh" Wanttaja

Avast!!! That's a good one!!

Old November 27th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt W. Barrow

wrote in message
On Nov 25, 3:26 pm, "Frank" wrote:

Around here, the official "pilot uniform" is generally jeans or shorts
and a Hawaiian shirt. with a baseball cap or tilley hat to cover our
bald spots. A small pair of wings clipped onto the hat is cool,
though.

This is my entire uniform.
http://www.columbiaairmerchandise.co...BTAW8915GRP7BT

Well, okay, jeans or slacks...
--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC.

Old November 28th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Clay" wrote in message
. Don't even go to an
airport wearing nose rings, earrings, Grateful Dead t-shirt, long
nasty unkept hair, faded blue jeans with rip holes, John Lennon
sunglasses and Jesus sandals. Not only will you not get any respect
but the TSA agents or local law enforcement may escort you to a small
private room for a chat.

Been there, done that (well, customs, TSA didn't exist back then).

My brother and I (both teens at the time) were traveling around in a Cessna
120 - after a couple weeks we are coming back into the US from Canada - we
walk into the customs office looking just a little scruffy. The last two
weeks we had been sleeping under the wing, wearing the same clothes - I used
duct tape where my pants had ripped (Left the extra clothes home to try and
stay near gross weight - even a mighty Continental 85 can only lift so
much) - probably didn't smell real good. This guy's eyes light up - he looks
like he is sure he is on to something - he's gonna take that old Cessna
apart...

Well, if we looked (and smelled) bad, the "baggage" space behind the seats
was even worse. Camping gear, dirty pots and pans, tent, sleeping bags, etc.
(OK, we did have one change of underwear / socks each). He started off
dragging stuff out and inspecting it, but as he got deeper into the pile, he
just got slower and slower. Finally, he turns around, looks at us, shakes
his head, and says "you guys can go..."

It felt good to beat down "the man" without even trying.

FWIW - there was nothing in there for him to find.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old November 28th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:12:56 -0500, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea
Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote:

Well, if we looked (and smelled) bad, the "baggage" space behind the seats
was even worse.

The Chevy Chase "Vacation" back seat smell? G
Old November 28th 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

Maybe he should wear a full set of pirate regalia.

At least there's a manual for it....

http://www.avweb.com/newspics/potw/l...otw04_1347.jpg

Ron "Argggh" Wanttaja

And a day to practice: