And Tuesday - 5140-W.jpg (1/1)

Old February 15th 08, 12:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
RustYŠ RustYŠ is offline
Banned

Default And Tuesday - 5140-W.jpg (1/1)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5140-W.jpg (112.6 KB, 42 views)
Old February 15th 08, 04:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom Hayden

Nice, nice pix.! Thanks.

Notice the side of the trailer - "High Performance Snack Bars for High
Performance Brands".

Appropriate, right?

What sort of training are they doing over this terrain? Terrain following?
Close Air Support? Seems as if the RAF and others use this course quite a
lot.

Tom

Old February 15th 08, 06:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
RustYŠ RustYŠ is offline
Banned

"Tom Hayden" geezer1two3atcomcast.net wrote in message
. ..

What sort of training are they doing over this terrain? Terrain following?
Close Air Support? Seems as if the RAF and others use this course quite a
lot.

This area is at the 'crossroads' of the main north/south and east/west
routes in Wales so sees a good amount of traffic. As to why they do it -
see the MOD page here....
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Ab...etyandAviation
/LowFlying

Old February 15th 08, 07:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom Hayden

Thanks, Rusty. I never would've found that explanation on my own.

Do the residents complain much? I know folks in the US **** and moan a lot
about such type of flying here.

The MOD page says: "The UK Military Low Flying System covers the open
airspace of the whole of the UK and surrounding overseas areas from the
surface to 2,000 feet above the ground or mean sea level."

Very general. Do they, in practice, designate certain areas that they use
for low flying? Else, how do they safeguard against intrusions by General
Aviation?

Tom

Old February 15th 08, 08:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
RustYŠ RustYŠ is offline
Banned

"Tom Hayden" geezer1two3atcomcast.net wrote in message
. ..

Do they, in practice, designate certain areas that they use
for low flying? Else, how do they safeguard against intrusions by General
Aviation?

Tom

Now that's the interesting part. Nearly the whole of Wales is a low flying
area and the military have to share the airspace with everyone else. At any
time they could come across a light aircraft, microlight, hang glider etc.
so they have to have their wits about them. Here is a map of the area..
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Ab...etyandAviation
/LowFlying/LFAs/LowFlyingArea07.htm

Old February 15th 08, 09:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Tom Hayden

Very interesting information there. Thank you.

One thing that popped out at me was that the LFA (low flying activity) seems
to take place in small segments of time - an hour here, a half hour there.
During those times, I guess, general aviation has to be on its toes, since
military aircraft could show up almost anywhere at any altitude.

There's also an MoD report on last year's low flying activity he

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/3002E...mlf2006_07.pdf

It states: "This report is the latest in a series that reviews the pattern
of low flying by military aircraft across the United Kingdom. It explains
why our Armed Forces need to undertake this training, how much they do, and
where it is carried out. We adopt an open approach to this type of activity
and I therefore commend this report to you."

Thanks for guiding me to all this good info.

And keep taking and sharing those great LFA pictures!!!!!!

Tom