More getting gliders in front of the masses....

Old August 19th 10, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default More getting gliders in front of the masses....

You might find this entertaining:
http://money.cnn.com/video/fortune/2...lane.cnnmoney/
See ya, Dave "YO electric"

PS: Not sure of the schedule for airing on CNN...
Old August 19th 10, 10:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek C

On Aug 19, 2:53*am, Dave Nadler wrote:
You might find this entertaining:http://money.cnn.com/video/fortune/2...ctric_airplane...
See ya, Dave "YO electric"

PS: Not sure of the schedule for airing on CNN...

The sailplane makes a typical Yankee flown on landing! Can't you guys
do a fully held off landing?

Derek C
Old August 19th 10, 12:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Aug 19, 5:06*am, Derek C wrote:
On Aug 19, 2:53*am, Dave Nadler wrote:

You might find this entertaining:http://money.cnn.com/video/fortune/2...ctric_airplane...
See ya, Dave "YO electric"

PS: Not sure of the schedule for airing on CNN...

The sailplane makes a typical Yankee flown on landing! Can't you guys
do a fully held off landing?

Derek C

Better URL: http://tinyurl.com/YO-CNN

Landing was at very high speed because of time and
traffic requirements, not a "typical" landing...

See ya, Dave
Old August 19th 10, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Seaborn[_2_]

Good going Dave. It is pushing the stone in the right direction when
any glider appears on any media and the electric angle is a good media
hook. Thanks for taking the time and spending the money to have
Antares at Oshkosh where the cameras and media are available.

John Seaborn

Old August 19th 10, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Aug 18, 6:53*pm, Dave Nadler wrote:
You might find this entertaining:http://money.cnn.com/video/fortune/2...ctric_airplane...
See ya, Dave "YO electric"

PS: Not sure of the schedule for airing on CNN...

Dave -

Thanks for taking the baton and running with it! I don't have any
magic answers myself, but the lack of soaring promotion by the SSA and
the apparent lack of a good relationship between the SSA and EAA has
been disheartening. I am thoroughly appreciative of your efforts to
bridge that gap and get soaring in front of more people!

If you see opportunities in the future where more bodies or sailplanes
would be useful at a promotional venue, please be sure to keep us
posted.

Thanks again,

--Noel

Old August 19th 10, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HoUdino

Fantastic!

LT
Old August 19th 10, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

The sailplane makes a typical Yankee flown on landing! Can't you guys
do a fully held off landing?

Derek C

And you base this statement on what, exactly?

This from a country that was building taildragger jet fighters
(Scimitar) and transports (Hastings) after WW2, when the US was flying
tricycle gear fighters (P-38, P-39), bombers (B-19, B-24/25/26 etc)
and transports (DC-4) before the war - I guess you had to be good at
fully held off landings if you were a brit!

Just kidding, of course ;^)

Cheers,

Kirk
Old August 19th 10, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jb92563

On Aug 18, 6:53*pm, Dave Nadler wrote:
You might find this entertaining:http://money.cnn.com/video/fortune/2...ctric_airplane...
See ya, Dave "YO electric"

PS: Not sure of the schedule for airing on CNN...

Nicely done video.

Flown on landing at a GA airport (Did you see all the GA planes at
this place!) is standard practice, god forbid you are not able to roll
off onto the taxiway
to get out of every ones way and have to get out and push.

We reserve our full stall low energy landings for farmers fields,
football fields (either kind), dirt and sod runways, but don't worry,
we sure know how to do it
as we don't have hedgerows as an overrun but rather barbed wire,
canyons and buildings for our overshoots.

I would think that the EAA and SSA would be close buddies and can't
imagine why they do not collaborate if that statement was true about
them not doing so..

Interestingly, when I bring either of my Motor Gliders to the local
EAA Chapter 1279 or Chapter 1, the larger portion of the members are
typically
over 40 and not flying as much as Medical Issues intrude on their fun.

They typically drool over the Grob 109 and are amazed by the Fournier
RF4D and I typically sit the heavy droolers in the cockpit and answer
dozens of questions, each one bringing bigger and bigger smiles as I
talk about Pilot requirements, Fuel consumption, Aerobatics, Range,
Affordability
and the enjoyment of the challenges, goals and people in the sport.

I also have problems getting the heavy droolers OUT of the plane as
their minds are running a mile a minute trying to figure out how they
can make it theirs
and send me home with their car in trade. ;-)

Its time for the SSA to get more friendly with EAA and AOPA to give us
the most political clout possible, to protect our sport from the out
of control regulators
and ultra conservatives that want to protect society from every
remotely plausible danger to placate their own phobias.

Our dedicated Glider Operations are dwindling significantly and being
pushed hundreds of inconvenient miles to go fly is a serious detriment
to our sport in my opinion.

It would make good sense to protect our glider operations much more
vigorously by getting more help.

Ray
Old August 19th 10, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Mike Ground

On Aug 18, 6:53*pm, Dave Nadler wrote:
You might find this entertaining:http://money.cnn.com/video/fortune/2...ctric_airplane...
See ya, Dave "YO electric"

PS: Not sure of the schedule for airing on CNN...

Great work, Dave.

It’s been a very long time since our fading sport has received such
favorable media exposure particularly to such a wide audience.
It’s obvious why the Antares is popular with the aviation press, but
striking such a strong chord with the general media at the national
level is quite a break-through. Keep up the great work, we are all
in your debt. Any thoughts about taking the Antares to Kitty Hawk in
Oct for the 100th anniversary of Wrights’s soaring flight?

Michael Mitton