Which DC Headphone is best choice?

Old June 21st 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Which DC Headphone is best choice?

Also, ANR enables you to hear ATC much more clearly.

In my 25 years of flying with my DC H10-40's, I have never had any
difficulty hear ATC due to ambiant noise.
Old June 22nd 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:46:16 GMT, john smith wrote:

Also, ANR enables you to hear ATC much more clearly.

In my 25 years of flying with my DC H10-40's, I have never had any
difficulty hear ATC due to ambiant noise.

Now guys don't get too hung up on ANR please :-)

I'm sure it's very successful but like Emily said they're expensive
and use batteries which adds another weak point in the system. I've
been flying for 15 years and don't find a problem with passive
headsets, except for the discomfort due to pressure on the side of my
head sometimes and the fact I wear glasses. Understanding ATC is not a
problem unless they have a problem. Usually talking too quiet, to loud
and causing overload or UK military who at times are readability 2-3
(and I've told them they are!).

Most of my UK flights are only up to 3 hours and my longest flight was
from Stella Maris in the Bahamas to Fort Pierce in Florida. With
strong headwinds that was 4.75 hours and I don't remember a problem
with the headset. Not sure my Wife would agree but she uses a
Sigtronics headset.

Going back to my initial request I'm looking for a reasonable cost
headset and would appreciate helpful good and bad points as were
originally made.

I think I prefer Gel earseals but I see 'Pilot, PA-1171T' say
leatherette soft seals - what is that and how do they compare?

Thanks,
David
Scotland UK
Old June 22nd 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
Emily wrote:

What's not to like about them?

They're expensive, heavy, and require batteries.

expensive? - yes.
Heavy? no. at least not too heavy for my comfort
batteries? - no. I put the power module in my cherokee.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old June 22nd 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Bob Noel wrote:
In article ,
Emily wrote:

What's not to like about them?

They're expensive, heavy, and require batteries.

expensive? - yes.
Heavy? no. at least not too heavy for my comfort
batteries? - no. I put the power module in my cherokee.

Not an option for renters or instructors.
Old June 22nd 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
wrote:

I think I prefer Gel earseals but I see 'Pilot, PA-1171T' say
leatherette soft seals - what is that and how do they compare?

Check out the Marv Golden's, also.
Old June 22nd 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

This from rec.aviation.piloting...

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....oduct_id=10370
Old June 22nd 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 03:43:29 GMT, john smith wrote:

This from rec.aviation.piloting...

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....oduct_id=10370

Very nice but $799 is a lot to justify!

I was thinking nearer $200 or $300 if pushed.

From comments so far I think the follwoing are becoming my main
requirements:

Not too heavy
Electret Mike
Soft Gel ear seals
Wire mike boom, or partial wire, not fully flexible
External audio for checklist looks useful
Reasonable cost

In other words all singing-all dancing but cost nothing!!!!

David
Old June 22nd 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

You have to go try on the headsets. It's the only way to tell the right one for
you. Ideally go fly with one, to see how it works for real. To me, buying a
headset is personal, like clothes or stereo's. I wear jeans or shorts almost all
of the time, but I know people who don't own either.

I had a sergeant (who is an audiophile) tell my once you can't go by the spec's.
You have to go listen to them (stereo's). If you can't tell the different
between a $200 stereo and $1000 stereo, save yourself 800 bucks.

Go try the headset on and fly them. If the dealer won't let you, try borrowing
some from friends.

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 00:08:13 +0100, wrote:

Going back to my initial request I'm looking for a reasonable cost
headset and would appreciate helpful good and bad points as were
originally made.

I think I prefer Gel earseals but I see 'Pilot, PA-1171T' say
leatherette soft seals - what is that and how do they compare?

Thanks,
David
Scotland UK

GeorgeC
Old June 22nd 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Emily,

They're expensive, heavy, and require batteries.

Look again - at all of the factors you mention.

Expensive? You can get excellent ANR at a price below the passive DCs.
Heavy? Pure BS. The top-end Lightspeed is lighter than the passive DC,
not to mention the featherlight Bose.
Batteries? well, tere is one model powered of the mic power, there are
on-board powered variants, and the battery models run 20 to 50 hours on
2 AAs. Who cares?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)