Sport Pilot license

Old June 24th 05, 02:15 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"LCT Paintball" wrote in message
news:moSue.99714$xm3.36468@attbi_s21...
I never really wanted to go for the Rotax. I did consider the Jab 3300
but now I have pretty much decided on a Wynne built Corvair. What did it
for me was a the price, less than $7000, and the fact that Falcon will
insure the the plane on first flight.

Are Corvair engines and parts getting hard to find yet?
I used to have a corvair. There was an old corvair junkyard (that's all
they had) near me at the time, but I don't know if it's still there.

According to William Wynne, THE Corvair Guru www.flycorvair.com/, they are
widely available. I've done some searching and made a few calls and it looks
like everything is in pretty damn good supply.

What seems to have happened is that all the parts that are out there have
migrated to centralized locations. As you know the Corvair car has quite the
following. This is exampled by one I saw in Little Rock AR with the plates
that said "FUNADER". I laughed so hard I almot slammed into the back of him
at a stop sign.

Old June 24th 05, 02:58 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:04:28 +0000, Scott wrote:

So, if you are ever suspicious that you might fail your NEXT physical,
don't go. Just let it expire and then get your Sport Plane Rating.

Actually, if you have your traditional pilot license (Rec., Private, Commercial,
etc.) already, you don't need to get a "rating." You can exercise SP privileges
without any interface with the Feds.

That's what I'm doing...I just let my medical expire last fall. It was a bit
awkward at the FBO at BFR time, and I'm waiting to see if my insurance agent can
find a company that'll renew my policy in August, but the FAA is taken care of.

Ron Wanttaja

Old June 24th 05, 03:59 PM
Richard Isakson

"Scott" wrote ...
So, if you are ever suspicious that you might fail your NEXT physical,
don't go. Just let it expire and then get your Sport Plane Rating.

Not exactly. If you have at least a recreational certificate and a current
and valid drivers license, no additional ratings are required. You can
continue to operate any aircraft that meets the light sport aircraft
criteria as long as you hold a catagory and class rating for that airplane.
See 14CFR61.303.

Rich

Old June 24th 05, 08:43 PM
OtisWinslow

"Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote in message
I mentioned I had 42 logged hours when I passed my PP exam. GigG

I had 40.0 when I passed mine. And I had to go flying before the
test to get an extra .5 hr to have enough. I didn't fly with anyone
before I started. I thought it was easy.

Old June 24th 05, 08:52 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"OtisWinslow" wrote in message

"Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote in message
I mentioned I had 42 logged hours when I passed my PP exam. GigG

I had 40.0 when I passed mine. And I had to go flying before the
test to get an extra .5 hr to have enough. I didn't fly with anyone
before I started. I thought it was easy.

I was rained out the first week I was going to test and I had to fly 45
minutes where the exam was being given.

Old June 25th 05, 01:55 AM
Jerry Springer

UltraJohn wrote:
T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:

wrote:

I just saw the FAA presentation at '04 OshKosh on DVD, and they stated
very clearly, several times, that you CANNOT get a SPL if you've failed
a medical, until you get a successful medical. If that is so, WTF is
the SPL for, anyway????

It's for all those who haven't failed.

T o d d P a t t i s t
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.

Actually if you lose your medical from having a condition and have it
treated such as and angioplasty or bypass then get a waiver (which is only
good for a year) you let the waiver expire and continue flying SP.
That is what I'm doing. I can get a yearly waiver my average time to get it
has been 6 months leaving my only 6 months a year to fly. This is why I'll
let it expire this time and fly SP.
John

Which is what is totally stupid about the SPL. Not picking on you
UltraJohn but why would you be safer flying now that you have
let the waiver expire? Why not just just create another class of medical
say a 4th class. At least there is still some monitoring of a persons
physical condition. It sure does not make me feel warm and fuzzy knowing
that there are a lot of people flying overhead that have had heart
attacks etc. and no one is monitoring their physical condition. Let them
keep flying but at least have an AME give them a "4th class" physical
every two years with basically the same restrictions as the currnet SPL.
Also if a person can fly for example a Taylorcraft why not let them
continue to fly a two place RV? The end result are going to be pretty
much the same if either aircraft comes down on top of a house or school etc.

Jerry
Old June 25th 05, 03:21 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:55:43 -0700, Jerry Springer wrote:

Let them
keep flying but at least have an AME give them a "4th class" physical
every two years with basically the same restrictions as the currnet SPL.

The medical requirements haven't changed, only the documentation. The same
conditions that make you ineligible for a third class medical *also* disqualify
you for Sport Pilot. It isn't a "Fourth Class," it's just the ability to
self-certify like glider pilots.

The main point to look at is what is truly gained by the third class medical.
You look at the eye chart, you pee in the cup, you listen to the whispered
voice. It's certainly not a thorough check. And lots of ATPs suffer heart
attacks, so even First Class medicals are fallible.

The requirement for a formal medical examination dates from the 30s, when the
CAA regulated only commercial and inter-state aviation. When states started
requiring that all pilots hold a CAA license, the pilots had to take the same
medicals the commercial folks did.

I prefer a solution that's a reaction to a recognized problem rather than "let's
have a rule just it case it ever happens." I suspect a lot of folks will be
watching the accident rate, to see if pilot incapacitation becomes more
frequent.

In any case, Sport Pilot basically formalizes something that's been going on for
a long time: pilots with disqualifying medical conditions continuing to fly.
Personally, I feel far more endangered by the guy in the huge Canyonero SUV in
the lane next to me on I-5 than by a J-3 popping by overhead.

Also if a person can fly for example a Taylorcraft why not let them
continue to fly a two place RV? The end result are going to be pretty
much the same if either aircraft comes down on top of a house or school etc.

Energy = Mass times velocity squared. That 1300-lbs T-Cart at 130 MPH has less
than a third of the kinetic energy of a 1800lb/200 MPH RV. That should make a
significant difference to the house or school. Not to the pilots, of
course...but that's their decision.

Ron Wanttaja
Old June 25th 05, 06:40 AM
Jerry Springer

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:55:43 -0700, Jerry Springer wrote:

Let them
keep flying but at least have an AME give them a "4th class" physical
every two years with basically the same restrictions as the currnet SPL.

The medical requirements haven't changed, only the documentation. The same
conditions that make you ineligible for a third class medical *also* disqualify
you for Sport Pilot. It isn't a "Fourth Class," it's just the ability to
self-certify like glider pilots.

Hi Ron, your points are well taken. Do you really believe that a lot
of people that are not accountable to anyone but themselves for their
medical conditions are really going to ground themselves when they
should? I understand there is not a "4th class medical" but there should
be a monitoring system to watch people that are flying with known
physical conditions.

[...]

I agree with you about driving next to the guy on the freeway with
medical conditions, but if he has a problem and takes me out there won't
be much of an outcry. If an airplane takes out some people
and it comes out that they were flying with a medical condition
you know what the media well do with that.

Also if a person can fly for example a Taylorcraft why not let them
continue to fly a two place RV? The end result are going to be pretty
much the same if either aircraft comes down on top of a house or school etc.

Energy = Mass times velocity squared. That 1300-lbs T-Cart at 130 MPH has less
than a third of the kinetic energy of a 1800lb/200 MPH RV. That should make a
significant difference to the house or school. Not to the pilots, of
course...but that's their decision.

Ron Wanttaja

Once again it won't make a bit of difference if it is a Taylorcraft or
an RV that hits something with people in it, the "sky is falling"
syndrome from the media is and always well be the same.

Jerry
Old June 25th 05, 09:44 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:40:31 -0700, Jerry Springer wrote:

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

The medical requirements haven't changed, only the documentation. The same
conditions that make you ineligible for a third class medical *also* disqualify
you for Sport Pilot. It isn't a "Fourth Class," it's just the ability to
self-certify like glider pilots.

Hi Ron, your points are well taken. Do you really believe that a lot
of people that are not accountable to anyone but themselves for their
medical conditions are really going to ground themselves when they
should?

Jerry, what grounds them *now*?

Just sitting here and thinking a moment, I came up with the names of five guys
who continued/are still continuing to fly with conditions that would prevent
them from receiving an FAA medical. Cataracts, heart problems, diabetes, kidney
stones, and I forget what the fifth one was. Ironic, really, 'cause he was the
only one that was caught by the FAA.

How? His engine failed on takeoff and he crashed. No injuries, but wasn't able
to produce his medical certificate to the accident investigator, who
subsequently determined he'd been denied renewal.

In the 20 or so years I've owned airplanes, I've never had to show my medical
except during BFRs. All the guys I mention above own their own planes...and I
bet they don't get BFRs, either.

Your points about public perception are certainly valid, but in truth, there's
nothing that prevents *anyone* from flying a personally-owned aircraft without a
medical. They can dodge it completely...or pencil whip their way through it.
Other than the few physical items that are checked during the examination, the
only way the FAA finds out whether an applicant has a invalidating condition is
if the person admits it on the application form. Yes, it's perjury. But the
FAA isn't likely to find out.

People don't ground themselves now, and I don't believe Sport Pilot is going to
make things any worse.

Ron Wanttaja

Please e-mail EAA and ask them to include gliders in Sport Pilot Mark James Boyd Soaring 6 December 1st 04 05:52 PM
Sport Pilot cuts off special issuance at the knees Juan~--~Jimenez Home Built 40 August 10th 04 01:19 PM
sport pilot humor Occom Home Built 0 April 9th 04 04:22 PM
Sport Pilot (was SoCal CFIGs needed. M B Soaring 1 September 30th 03 04:21 AM