Ampmeter, BYBob, Cooper etc, old school guys - Chicken?

Old August 1st 05, 03:24 PM
Birdbrain13

Default Ampmeter, BYBob, Cooper etc, old school guys - Chicken?

Alright you oldschoolguys, Oysterhouse highflyer Wantaja etc. Guys who
have been around for a while -

Now we see your true colors.

September 14 - 17 - in Wendover Nevada (on the Bonneville Salt Flats)
Will be what the Utah Salt Flats racers assn. calls World of Speed.

Heres a chance to drive a car faster than your planes will go!

If any of you guys have the cajones, I will provide the car for you to
qualify for the 130 MPH club - or the 150 MPH club. I will provide
all of the required safety equipment! I will pick you up at the
airport and bring ya to the course - all you have to do is pay the
entry fees and your food and hotel.

Check out this link for the details.
http://www.saltflats.com/
I expect most of you to quickly come up with some sort of previous
Engagement which you are about to schedule!

We have alot of fun there - Check out the list of 130 and 150 club
members - Johanssons all over the place - now we are running out of
drivers might as well use the cars (we run 2 corvettes there)

Carl "Gonzo" Johansson

BTW that deadbeat Stricker will recieve a personal invitation - cause
he's a bigger chicken that the rest of you guys!

Old August 1st 05, 05:29 PM
Birdbrain13

So Richard Reily has the Heuvos - he's already committed - how bout
the rest of you tahoos!

Gonzo

Old August 1st 05, 11:06 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Birdbrain13 wrote:

So Richard Reily has the Heuvos - he's already committed - how bout
the rest of you tahoos!

Anything faster than 150mph available? Don't get back from Cozumel until
the 18th, darn...
Old August 2nd 05, 03:56 PM
Birdbrain13

You can't run in the fast cars till you "qualify" in slower ones. We
will be trying to achieve 200mph, but that requires lots more safety
gear - plus previous experience.

figured you'd chicken out! Bawkk - bawk back bawk!!

Old August 2nd 05, 05:05 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Birdbrain13 wrote:

You can't run in the fast cars till you "qualify" in slower ones. We
will be trying to achieve 200mph, but that requires lots more safety
gear - plus previous experience.

figured you'd chicken out! Bawkk - bawk back bawk!!

Well I already rescheduled that trip - the one time allowed, due to
hurricane. Didn't bother me at all to schedule the flight out on 9/11...
I've done the better part of 130 mph with my old 280z. Done 250 mph in a
Lancair, not silly enough to break that speed on land...
Old August 2nd 05, 07:15 PM
Birdbrain13

Yupo talks cheap - every guy in line for the 130 mph club tells
stories of 140 or 150 - course when the actually try it - 95% of em
don't make it. You loose 10 % to the traction problems on the salt -
and the difference between 120 and 130 is huge - wind resistance and
such - but you loose most of your speed due to the liars factor -
turns out it's alot easier to tell stories about how fast your car is -
than to actually reach those speeds - hope this isn't sounding
familiar Darrel.

Been there - done that - and have the certificates and the
documentation to prove it
gonzo

Old August 2nd 05, 07:31 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Birdbrain13 wrote:

Yupo talks cheap - every guy in line for the 130 mph club tells
stories of 140 or 150 - course when the actually try it - 95% of em
don't make it. You loose 10 % to the traction problems on the salt -
and the difference between 120 and 130 is huge - wind resistance and
such - but you loose most of your speed due to the liars factor -
turns out it's alot easier to tell stories about how fast your car is -
than to actually reach those speeds - hope this isn't sounding
familiar Darrel.

Been there - done that - and have the certificates and the
documentation to prove it
gonzo

Can't attest to salt, could do it on asphalt though (cars I've owned).
If the car "you" provide isn't up to the task, that isn't the drivers
fault...

I've collected enough legal paper (from 4 states) to last me several
lifetimes. All of them for speeds less than they lock you away for,
never for the ones they do...

As for planes having a 250 mph one of my own is a ways off, a 150 mph
one isn't...
Old August 2nd 05, 08:25 PM
John Ammeter

Birdbrain....

I've got a prior commitment that weekend... That's the
weekend of our Annual Meeting of the Snohomish Tribe of
Indians and, since I'm up for re-election as Vice Chair (how
appropriate), I really should be there.

BTW, it's really big of you to offer the use of your ratted
out Corvette. After I'd have spent hundreds of dollars
getting there, paying for a room, meals, and the entry
fee... you're so generous to let me use your broke down
car... Oh, my RV-6 idles faster than 130 mph... But, you
wouldn't know about fast airplanes would ya, boy?? Flying
that high wing junker that won't top 80 mph must be the real
thing, right??

Amprobe... aka Ampmeter...

Old August 3rd 05, 03:01 PM
Birdbrain13

I figured you'd be the first to back out! So when did the Snohonish
make the cardinal error of putting you in charge of Vices? Do you get
to try em all out and recomend the best Vices to the tribal members?
(I'm talking vices - not vises).

As for the RV 6 - I heard you don't really fly it - and that you are
planning on using it as a planter on the fromt yard of your new place.

(BTW I just saw one of Fetters beauties on the roof of a roadside
diner outside of Jackson Ca. The guy must have realized he had a
deathtrap on his hand and recovered his costs by writing it off as
advertising!)

Gonzo

Old August 3rd 05, 08:09 PM
Johannes Gerber

wrote:

If any of you guys have the cajones, I will provide the car for you to
qualify for the 130 MPH club - or the 150 MPH club. I will provide
all of the required safety equipment! I will pick you up at the
airport and bring ya to the course - all you have to do is pay the
entry fees and your food and hotel.

Check out this link for the details.
http://www.saltflats.com/
I expect most of you to quickly come up with some sort of previous
Engagement which you are about to schedule!

We have alot of fun there - Check out the list of 130 and 150 club

130mph? Done that. On Public roads. Legaly. On cruise Control.
(I wasn't in that much a hurry, and I didn't want to push the 2,4L
engine too hard - it wasn't my car)

Unfortunately, work retired their old, delimited, late '80s Audi[1]
after one colleague did a 300 mile journey in two hours, so I never
did get the chance to drive that magnificent beast. (290kph as per
speedometer was reported. Leaving behind M5s with their 155mph limiter
was reported)

I've since grown up - I only drive a 1.6L, so I stick to around 100mph
(60mph/whatever the traffic is doing when I'm on smaler country
roads). The car's already had 110,000 miles thrown at it in the last 7
years, I want it to last at least that much again (Saving up for a PPL
and a Kitfox 7 - don't want to buy a new car just yet, and not
afterwards if I can)

If you want more amusing responses to your "high speed" antics, post
to uk.rec.motorcycles, or anything with a de. infront of the name.

Johannes "the last sentence contained a clue" Gerber

[1] V8. The Original Audi V8. Yes, it was called the V8.